Cycylist help please

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Talking Cycylist help please

I know from my reading there is an active group of cyclist in TV. Aside from riding for pleasure do any of you use your bikes for transportation around TV? Do you have any trouble getting around TV on a bike? Since you use the multi purpose paths do you have any problem sharing the path with golf carts? Is it safe to assume you have the same access to shopping, doctors and other opportunities as golf cart users? Are there many three and four wheeled cycles in TV?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM

I forgot to ask. Any pproblem with cycle theift?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

Can't answer the question about cycle theft. Bikes have just as much right to the multimodal paths and street in TV as carts do. I am sure there are people that use them for transportation as well as their carts. Although they are a bit slower than carts, it can be a ride up to 8-10 miles to get to a town square, biking is very popular in TV and can get you to all the doctors, grocery stores, clubs, movies, etc. etc. There are some 3 and 4 wheel bikes around, as well as tandem bikes.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Traveller View Post
I know from my reading there is an active group of cyclist in TV. Aside from riding for pleasure do any of you use your bikes for transportation around TV? Do you have any trouble getting around TV on a bike? Since you use the multi purpose paths do you have any problem sharing the path with golf carts? Is it safe to assume you have the same access to shopping, doctors and other opportunities as golf cart users? Are there many three and four wheeled cycles in TV?
I ride my bike (a hybrid) from Duval to my office which is very close to TV hospital. I ride up Canal to LSL, cross the bridge on the cart path, go under 466 via the tunnel, then ride up Morse to the Wellness center where I shower then scoot over to my office. Takes 40 min max, no problems with carts.... only problemmo is--->THUNDERSTORMS!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Gold member

I have had no problems using the cart paths on my bicycle. Some words of caution, however:

1) make sure you have a mirror and check it often - the electric carts are VERY quiet and can sneak up on you without you knowing it.

2) I have noticed at least one drain culvert in one of the tunnels (I think it was the one that goes under Morse near Havana) that had straight openings which seemed to be perfect for a bicycle tire to get caught in. This seems like a hazard waiting to happen.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
2) I have noticed at least one drain culvert in one of the tunnels (I think it was the one that goes under Morse near Havana) that had straight openings which seemed to be perfect for a bicycle tire to get caught in. This seems like a hazard waiting to happen.
I noticed that too. New grates were installed last month!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

I commute to work everyday on my bike. I work in Wildwood but Live in Bison Valley. so I ride thru TV to work. The ride back and forth is enjoyable. I dont have many problems on the road, I use Buena Vista,, Morse and Stillwater alot. The only problems I have are with Drivers in cars that do not give you anyroom what so ever. I usually maintain about 24 mph and will approach 28-30 on Morse, BV and 466a. The only times I ride the cart paths is going down 466 when I use that route. Never had a problem from the carts, usually pass them. Most of them are very friendly and crack up when a bike is passing them.
I like riding the road mainly easier for a bike to get a round.
There are groups that ride. Check with Santos Bike shop on 466 just east of Morse Blvd. They can tell you when the groups meet. One of the Cats that work there lead The Villages group on the rides. There is also a group that meets at 630pm on Thursday at the church at 466 and morse. we ride 20-22 miles every thursday. 2 different speeds. the ones that race alittle about 22 mph average then a slower group. it is alot of fun. Sometimes there are about 16 riders on Thursday nights.

As for Cycle Theft. I don not let my bike out of sight !!!! If I had to, it would get locked up..... Too much money to have it walk a way...

Come on out and enjoy.

Money out

Last edited by GMONEY; 06-01-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 AM

There are two bike groups in TV. The Sumter Landing group has organized rides three days a week and welcomes riders at all levels of skills. Check out their web page for more details. http://slbcthevillages.googlepages.com/
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.