Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

Old 05-11-2024, 04:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
No need to travel north for evening entertainment, as you suggest. Block parties, with live entertainment, food trucks, and great fun are abundant south of 44. villages of Richmond, St John’s, Hawkins, St Catherine, and beyond come alive with social gatherings in late evenings.

Plus some have monthly theme parties at regional centers, tickets sell out in hours, with waitlist. My parents stay up after 11p, enjoying meeting younger residents, and big difference from our last village when the sidewalks rolled up at 6p.

It’s good to have areas in TV that older residents can come in before dark, and areas that residents can stay up as long as they want.
I will never understand why some believe a late night party is better than other parties. Or, why having a live band with food trucks in their neighborhood is WONDERFUL.

A party is a party no matter what time it is scheduled. And, why bring food trucks and bands to your neighborhood? To me, it sounds awfully plain and ordinary. You can find the same food trucks and bands in ANY town square on any given night. Dance any night you wish. And, have interesting conversations with neighbors seated beside you. Bringing this to your neighborhood is not out of the box thinking or extraordinary.

Most neighborhoods have scheduled activities, driveway parties, and monthly events. It is not just a south of 44 thing. I have nothing but gratitude for those who came years before me and started these traditions.They helped make the Villages a wonderful place to retire. Cheers to the older generations! (I hope I can keep up with them during our next outing.)

Last edited by Randall55; 05-11-2024 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,725 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I will never understand why some believe a late night party is better than other parties. Or, why having a live band with food trucks in their neighborhood is WONDERFUL.

A party is a party no matter what time it is scheduled. And, why bring food trucks and bands to your neighborhood? To me, it sounds awfully plain and ordinary. You can find the same food trucks and bands in ANY town square on any given night. Dance any night you wish. And, have interesting conversations with neighbors seated beside you. Bringing this to your neighborhood is not out of the box thinking or extraordinary.

Most neighborhoods have scheduled activities, driveway parties, and monthly events. It is not just a south of 44 thing. I have nothing but gratitude for those who came years before me and started these traditions.They helped make the Villages a wonderful place to retire. Cheers to the older generations! (I hope I can keep up with them during our next outing.)
That's ok. The people enjoying it don't need you to understand.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:14 AM
Sage

Why do some golfers seem to think that access to golf should be a priority for everyone? Can someone explain that?
Old 05-11-2024, 07:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,131 Times in 561 Posts
Default Not Everyone Golfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Why do some golfers seem to think that access to golf should be a priority for everyone? Can someone explain that?
The problem for Dabney involves the word “golf”; like in golf cart. Golf cart accessibility is a major consideration that particularly affects the area. Many villagers own golf carts and use them for transportation for a myriad of activities. Many of those who own carts, don’t golf. This is basically a part of the Villages that is for the vast majority in the area hampered.

The area isn’t isolated by car if you want to drive, it is isolated in the use of what the rest of the villages enjoys, golf cart accessibility for enjoyment of shopping, golfing and so much more.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-11-2024, 11:55 AM
Gold member

Looks to me like your first instinct is working here. On the map you can see the location and the distance it will to get there. I suggest you look into other areas for the house your looking for. Many of them, are just a couple of years old and have many upgrades already installed. South of 44 had 20 pages of preowned homes in their Tuesday edition. Loads of good homes to choose from right now. It is a buyers at this time.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,643 Times in 3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFitness View Post
Thanks for your responses. And no, playing golf 40 minutes away is not why I'm moving to TV. I won't bore you with all of the reasons, but I would play golf a couple times a week if I lived here. I probably would play the courses near me most often.

My bigger concern is that new amenities will be built south as the years go by. From Dabney, by cart, that is a 15 minute trek north added to every trip. I can mitigate that by spending more and purchasing in Moultrie Creek or waiting for future villages. But I think every village I wait on will come with an incremental price increase and decrease time here.
So here's the thing. Those courses you have to drive a bit to get to currently? They're located in areas where everyone living IN those areas golf those courses, because they're close to THEIR homes. There's a lot of people playing those courses already. So you'll be competing heavily for tee-times with people who already live there. Plus you'll have to travel between 30-40 minutes each way, every time you go to play golf, for at least the next year if not longer.

On the other hand, if you were to buy a newer pre-owned home in one of those areas, you'll already be in the area, you'll have more options within a 20-minute golf cart drive of your own home, you won't have to wait for anything to be built in order to enjoy EVERYTHING you already enjoy, and - major bonus - you won't have to wake up to construction trucks rolling past your house to get to the unbuilt homes down the next block every day for the next year.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:59 AM
Default Retail and Golf Wasteland south of 44

Consider how far you’ll be driving for groceries, medical, entertainment, misc. shopping, restaurants, etc.. Buy where all of these are a short golf cart ride.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:07 AM

South of 44 is a retail and golf wasteland. Consider how far you will be driving got groceries, shopping, restaurants, medical, dental, entertainment. Choose somewhere where you are a short golf cart ride to these places.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1mack View Post
South of 44 is a retail and golf wasteland. Consider how far you will be driving got groceries, shopping, restaurants, medical, dental, entertainment. Choose somewhere where you are a short golf cart ride to these places.
I have several friends who moved to that area for the exact reason that you suggest not to. It is away from the things that people go to. That makes their neighborhoods quieter and more to their liking. They love it. As far "a short golf cart ride", many of them do not own carts because they don't golf. They use their cars just like they always have. Not a problem.

One person's "wasteland" is another person's "tranquil retreat".
Old 05-12-2024, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,643 Times in 3,162 Posts

Quote:
I have several friends who moved to that area for the exact reason that you suggest not to. It is away from the things that people go to. That makes their neighborhoods quieter and more to their liking. They love it. As far "a short golf cart ride", many of them do not own carts because they don't golf. They use their cars just like they always have. Not a problem.

One person's "wasteland" is another person's "tranquil retreat".
Boy they're in for a rude awakening in a couple of years when retail, more golf courses, and rec centers are finally built down there and the place becomes bustling with business.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,350 Times in 612 Posts

I am just looking at the Villages website showing the new homes that are still for sale in Lake Denham and Dabney. It looks like most of the prices have been cut several times and they still aren't selling. It will be interesting to see how low the Villages will go to sell these houses. Does anyone that was here in 2008/2009 know how low the prices were?

I moved here in 2021 and I don't remember seeing any price reductions on new homes. It was a seller's market and the Villages was no lowering prices. They were selling at the asking price.

I don't think the Lake Denham/Dabney prices have hit bottom and people hate to buy when they think the prices will drop further.

It appears that the homes in Eastport are selling faster than the homes in Dabney.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 05-12-2024, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Boy they're in for a rude awakening in a couple of years when retail, more golf courses, and rec centers are finally built down there and the place becomes bustling with business.
The rec centers near their homes were built before the homes (most of them are pickleball players and play at Franklin and Homestead). Golf courses are going in on the other side of the turnpike, as well as Eastport. The land that will hold smaller retail is to the west. So, no rude awakening.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

Quote:
The rec centers near their homes were built before the homes (most of them are pickleball players and play at Franklin and Homestead). Golf courses are going in on the other side of the turnpike, as well as Eastport. The land that will hold smaller retail is to the west. So, no rude awakening.
Plus, if she thinks all this retail will be there "in a few years", she's in for another rude awakening...

466A is still being filled in with retail, some of which only came in the last few years... Well after construction was finished in the area...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-13-2024, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Their building brand new villas now off Morse where the Hacienda restaurant use to be. Great location too! I think there will be just 24 units. The pool is already open.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:53 AM

Agree. It’s basically a retail, golf, shopping, medical, restaurant, drug store wasteland. I wouldn’t move to a location that isn’t more than a 15 minute golf cart ride to any of those places. Two grocery stores, nine executive courses, three championship courses, Brownwood. Oh, fire station one mile. I didn’t move here to drive my car except to ACE.

Tags
south, dabney, turnpike, save, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.