Is Dabney too isolated now and long term ?

Old 02-15-2024, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
From looking at the Villages' website, it appears that almost all of the view sites in Dabney have been sold. The problem is properties that are not view sites. The demand for them seems to have slowed.
It did slow but has picked up this month. The discounts and holidays being over have helped. All the new development in the coming years will make them good investments in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
There is a resale house in Lake Denham that was listed recently for something like $865. I believe it was originally sold about $640 in August of last year. Not sure how they are getting by the 1 year issue unless it doesn’t close till then. No pool was added and not a lot of upgrades were visible on the outside nor inside from the listing pics. It’s 2274 sq ft. Never lived in as far as I can tell. It’s already under agreement and I was very surprised. I thought there was no way they would get that much. It went under agreement quick so I assume they got close to asking. View/preserve sites are apparently already profitable even while interior homes are being discounted.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
No one knows what additional money the owner invested to spruce up the home. WHO owned it was also not mentioned. This makes a HUGE difference. An ordinary homeowner may not get this type of rapid increase. Not a good idea to count on huge profits until you know all the facts. A knowledgable investor may have had a buyer in his back pocket throughout the building process.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
No one knows what additional money the owner invested to spruce up the home. WHO owned it was also not mentioned. This makes a HUGE difference. An ordinary homeowner may not get this type of rapid increase. Not a good idea to count on huge profits until you know all the facts. A knowledgable investor may have had a buyer in his back pocket throughout the building process.
Based on the pictures there were no updates. Looks like same builder grade appliances. Landscaping is the same builder installed plants and pine straw mulch. You figure they had it built for $640k and already had a buyer lined up to pay $200k more?

I’m not saying anyone can count on anything. I bought here because I plan to retire to this house. Could I move eventually, sure. I’m pretty sure I made a sound investment if I do choose to move. I have no idea why so many people try to discourage buying down here. The people around here are great and I’ve not been deprived of any amenities.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
The people around here are great and I’ve not been deprived of any amenities.
I agree that more than 90% of the people here are great. I also agree that you haven't been deprived of any amenities because anyone can use any amenity in any of the villages. The issue is getting to the amenities. At the present time, you are at least 30 minutes by golf cart to Brownwood which is the nearest Town Square. You are much closer to Sawgrass but that is an entertainment venue - not a Town Square.

If you play golf, you have to travel a lot farther to get to an executive golf course than people living north of 466 and those living between 466 and 466A. This will be true even after the courses are built in Eastport. I played up north a few weeks ago and a couple told me that there were 3 executive courses within a 10 minute golf ride of where they lived. I can't see that ever happening to people living northeast of the Turnpike and south of Warm Springs.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Based on the pictures there were no updates. Looks like same builder grade appliances. Landscaping is the same builder installed plants and pine straw mulch. You figure they had it built for $640k and already had a buyer lined up to pay $200k more?

I’m not saying anyone can count on anything. I bought here because I plan to retire to this house. Could I move eventually, sure. I’m pretty sure I made a sound investment if I do choose to move. I have no idea why so many people try to discourage buying down here. The people around here are great and I’ve not been deprived of any amenities.
Well said.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree that more than 90% of the people here are great. I also agree that you haven't been deprived of any amenities because anyone can use any amenity in any of the villages. The issue is getting to the amenities. At the present time, you are at least 30 minutes by golf cart to Brownwood which is the nearest Town Square. You are much closer to Sawgrass but that is an entertainment venue - not a Town Square.

If you play golf, you have to travel a lot farther to get to an executive golf course than people living north of 466 and those living between 466 and 466A. This will be true even after the courses are built in Eastport. I played up north a few weeks ago and a couple told me that there were 3 executive courses within a 10 minute golf ride of where they lived. I can't see that ever happening to people living northeast of the Turnpike and south of Warm Springs.
I can’t say anything on golf as it is not a priority. I’ve never played the game. I did just look at the putting course and pitch and putt that are 3 minutes from me and it seems like a fun thing to try. What really perplexes me is how people say Brownwood being 30 minute cart ride is a negative. That’s a pretty short trip. Maybe you all lived in cities and need to be a walk away? I like the cart ride. Eastport is 17 minutes from me by cart. I am dumbfounded how that is supposed to be too far to be worth living here.

At the end of the day these debates are silly. It all depends on the lifestyle someone is interested in. There will be buyers for houses down here and if we want to sell in the future we will make as much profit as any other place in the villages. Our buyers wouldn’t like it up north and buyers up north wouldn’t like it down here. To each his own.

Last edited by frayedends; 02-15-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote:
I can’t say anything on golf as it is not a priority. I’ve never played the game. I did just look at the putting course and pitch and putt that are 3 minutes from me and it seems like a fun thing to try. What really perplexes me is how people say Brownwood being 30 minute cart ride is a negative. That’s a pretty short trip. Maybe you all lived in cities and need to be a walk away? I like the cart ride. Eastport is 17 minutes from me by cart. I am dumbfounded how that is supposed to be too far to be worth living here.
Enjoy your home, Danby is a unique and beautiful area, convenient to many things inside and outside the bubbles.

Ignore user is your friend.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Enjoy your home, Danby is a unique and beautiful area, convenient to many things inside and outside the bubbles.
That could be said about almost anyplace in the world.

However, the initial poster was considering buying in Dabney or Moultrie Creek and asked "For those who purchased in the newer sections (Lake Denham, Dabney); does the drive north get old ? Are you worried that you will feel cut off as new development goes south on the other side of the turnpike?"

Most of the replies have been helpful - giving the pros and cons of living in Dabney as opposed to Eastport.

I am relatively new here but I have never seen so many houses for sale in one village. Hopefully, this link works.

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale
Old 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,721 Times in 981 Posts

Quote:

I'm in Poinciana and I am 4 minutes by golf cart from Sandhill/Turtle Mound, and Yankee Clipper/Southern Star. I am 5 minutes to Cane Garden, 10 minutes to Havana, or Mallory, 15 minutes to Palmer, Evans Prairie, Bonifay, or Belle Glade.
Too many pools and rec centers within 10 minutes to list.
15 minutes by cart to either Brownwood or LSL.

Of course, I have to live in an ancient (18 year old) home that is crumbling around me, and a $7,000 bond.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
The Developer does own about 500 acres south of Dabney/Lake Denham and east/north of the Turnpike under the name RAPID INFILTRATION BASIN INFRASTRUCTURE & TRANSMISSION LLC. One only knows what they plan to do with this.

The "Secret Promise" purchase that you refer to is actually on the other side (west/south) of the Turnpike and abuts all of the Developer property on the Sumter County side. No need for any additional bridges or tunnels to access this from the rest of the Villages.
Here is a map of Secret Promise and land north of the TurnPike that will become part of The Villages on May 13.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag5G09YA4TxQgpFD...G4qLA?e=aY4YnX
Old 05-08-2024, 09:05 PM
Wink Downsizing

I am looking to downsize again and I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with living in a one-bedroom home, not to rent out but to actually live in. I don't mind Dabney and in my lifestyle choices, I certainly wouldn't feel isolated as I appreciate being closer to MCO as well as some of the surrounding communities south. Also, I no longer entertain overnight guests, unless of course they are bunking in the master bedroom with me, but I did notice that the overall price per square of a one-bedroom home is actually higher than that of a 2 or 3 bedroom even though the one-bedrooms have fewer amenities. Btw, when my sister built her home in Summerfield back in 2003, there was a cow pasture across the street, and when I bought my home in Deluna, there was no Water Lily Bridge, no Edna's on the Green, no Magnolia shopping center and Marsh Bend Trail did not connect to the 301. "Blink."
Old 05-10-2024, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,212 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I'm not suggesting that everyone moves to TV with the primary objective of accessibility to golf. I think some do, and I think the way TV markets itself suggests that no matter where you are you will have it. That's misleading.
Since the OP stated a concern about driving north, I was pointing out that if golf is a main reason for coming to TV, and why he or she would be driving north, it would be wise to know and experience the travel to the courses.
We do not golf, never have and have no interest in the sport. Having said that, what I do enjoy living in the LSL area is the acres of rolling golf courses that I pass every day on Morse Blvd and Odell Circle. The vistas the courses provide are just lovely. In this area, we do not have solid views of only homes which is one reason we chose to live in The Villages. We enjoy dining at the golf course restaurants (AKA Country Clubs in this neck of the woods). The views are gorgeous.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Dabney will be very near to the new hospital, lots of retail space down there that will be built in the near future, medical facilities are being built all over the place south of 44, 3 new championship courses near Dabney, and you are near to Leesburg for all of their shopping and restaurants, also much, much closer to Orlando and Tampa via the Turnpike and I-75 than areas up north.
Leesburg shopping and restaurants is not The Villages. In the northern section, 441, 466 and 466A are surrounded by The Villages. There is a different feel and vibe in Leesburg. Leesburg is not golf cart accessible. That is one big part of being a Villager for most Villagers. The Villages infrastructure for golf carts is like no other in the world. Why go to Leesburg?
Old 05-10-2024, 06:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFitness View Post
Can you explain the last line in your note. Why do parties start at 4 if you are younger ? That also reminds me of my shocking revelation during my lifestyle visit; everything closes at 9pm lol. Just gonna have to get used to it (or age into it). Up here I get disappointed when the bands end at midnight. Do neighborhood parties end at 9 as well in TV ?
I would not be a happy camper if block parties went into the evening hours. I like my quiet neighborhood and prefer it remain that way in the evening hours. I even like my quiet neighborhood in the daytime too.

If you want night life that stays open past 9:00 pm, there are restaurants and bars along the 441 corridor. That is a long way from parts south.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I would not be a happy camper if block parties went into the evening hours. I like my quiet neighborhood and prefer it remain that way in the evening hours. I even like my quiet neighborhood in the daytime too.

If you want night life that stays open past 9:00 pm, there are restaurants and bars along the 441 corridor. That is a long way from parts south.
No need to travel north for evening entertainment, as you suggest. Block parties, with live entertainment, food trucks, and great fun are abundant south of 44. villages of Richmond, St John’s, Hawkins, St Catherine, and beyond come alive with social gatherings in late evenings.

Plus some have monthly theme parties at regional centers, tickets sell out in hours, with waitlist. My parents stay up after 11p, enjoying meeting younger residents, and big difference from our last village when the sidewalks rolled up at 6p.

It’s good to have areas in TV that older residents can come in before dark, and areas that residents can stay up as long as they want.

Tags
south, dabney, turnpike, save, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.