The Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM

And, if the Daly Sun closed it's doors today....you would have 35 pages on a totv thread complaining that we no longer have the daily sun.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Gold member

I always enjoyed the paper in the past. I am one who does like reading the news so as to keep informed on what is happening in the world. We should call it the bubble flyer now since it basically consists of ads, what happened last week in the villages, obits, dear Annie , cartoons and a puzzle. And for sure since I am married to a sports nut, he said they constantly get the villages softball stats wrong. It is obviously a rag written by high school kids. It does fill up the recycle bin nicely as one poster stated. The Daily sun was much better a yr or so ago
Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Once again if you don't like it don't buy it! The price is right and it does provide a service to the villagers who enjoy its contents. It is not going to change for a few malcontents if it has a healthy number of readers.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage
Default the daily sun

I'm always amazed at those who say it has no news...none at all.

I accept it for what it is and enjoy it. I like knowing what's going on in TV. I don't mind wading through the ads. And if I browse through the front page section, I get a good feel for the news of the day...or at least yesterday.

But to say it has no news at all? We must be reading different papers.

(And if you're concerned about bias, you can always go to one of the major television news channels for the unbiased news, right?)
Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Sage

Love the thick pages of the "Homes for Sale" insert. I set hot pans from the oven on them.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The Daily Sun does meet many diverse needs here for residents. As other posters have said there are many online papers. In our household we subscribe to the Daily Sun and two other newspapers. Each fulfills our collective needs. I know my wife especially likes the Daily Sun

I believe the new owners are doing much to be creative, informative and resourceful and I applaud their efforts.

I believe some posters are being overly critical of the paper being partisan. I have watch their concerted to be fair and balanced with editorials, columnist and readers who contribute with their opinions.

Please do not be too quick to dismiss the papers benefits, contributions and efforts to make this a united community

Personal Best Regards:
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

The Villages Daily Sun is my Home Town newspaper.

I depend on it for keeping me up to date on what is happening in my home town. That can include where to go, what to do and what is happening around me. It regularly provides in-depth articles on a wide range of subjects. These articles are not always pertinent to the current 24 news cycle but their subject matter doesn't require an immediate news cycle.

I think is does an outstanding job filling it's purpose (mission).

To compare TVDS to NYT/WSJ-like newspapers is is like comparing apples and oranges.

TVDS does not pretend or try to replace other newspapers like NYT or WSJ.

For what it's worth, I think all the "worldly newspapers" do a miserable job of covering local news/activities/ads for The Villages and I cannot depend on them at all.

Neither those worldly papers, or my home town paper, have the same purpose and neither tries to be everything for everyone.

There are very few newspapers in the world that are growing, both in $$ and circulation, like my home town paper.

I enjoy reading it every day, sometimes just skimming, other times from cover to cover.

Is it my only source of news? Of course not.

I would be surprised if any resident in TV, who moved from an metropolitan area the size of TV enjoyed a daily newspaper that had the home town quality/coverage of news that TVDS provides.

I understand people may not like the content of TVDS. However using TVDS's lack of in-depth national/world coverage as their reason for trying to dismiss it as a poorly conceived/managed/operated newspaper shows a weak understanding of the purpose of my home town newspaper.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Execution News For Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
The Daily Sun has gotten so bad I can't even find any news in it? Pages of advertisements (especially their club restaurants) lots of useless info We used to enjoy it but it looks like we are getting nothing for our money. Think its time to cancel subscription
A week or so ago I picked up the Daily Sun out of my driveway and immediately saw a big front-page headline pertaining to executions. This newspaper seems to delight in printing article after article about how the state of Florida kills its death row prisoners. I read my paper while I have breakfast and this bit of news didn't settle well with me at all. The Villages is an upbeat happy place to live. Knowing the details on how lethal drugs are administered, how they fail and what the inmate goes through when that happens is not news I need to read while I am trying to enjoy my first meal of the day. It is bad enough that the editors feel that we want to know the juicy details of these killings. What is next, an internet link so we can all see an ISIS beheading? I like The Daily Sun but these articles offend me as a human being who does not believe in killings of humans for any reasons. In my mind it is nothing more than another form of violence. If they feel they absolutely have to bombard us with this "news" it would be nice if they relegated it to a blip of an article, placed somewhere far away from the front page.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I love living in America. If you want to get the Daily Sun, get it. If you don't, don't. If you want the New York Times, get it. If you don't, don't. Etc. What do you hope to accomplish with this thread? Gracie, it is time to come back. I need your posts.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
As the kids say, "it is, what it is".

Good for what's happening around TV and to have breakfast with.

I for one don't want to hear who killed who, who raped who, and all the bad stuff that happens in the community.

There is always television news and the internet to keep informed.

For what it cost, (17 cents per issue delivered to my door), it's worth it to me.
2BNTV, I could not agree more if someone wants to hear bad news there are many outlets for that. Reading a happy paper is quite delightful!!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
The Villages Daily Sun is my Home Town newspaper.

I depend on it for keeping me up to date on what is happening in my home town. That can include where to go, what to do and what is happening around me. It regularly provides in-depth articles on a wide range of subjects. These articles are not always pertinent to the current 24 news cycle but their subject matter doesn't require an immediate news cycle.

I think is does an outstanding job filling it's purpose (mission).

To compare TVDS to NYT/WSJ-like newspapers is is like comparing apples and oranges.

TVDS does not pretend or try to replace other newspapers like NYT or WSJ.

For what it's worth, I think all the "worldly newspapers" do a miserable job of covering local news/activities/ads for The Villages and I cannot depend on them at all.

Neither those worldly papers, or my home town paper, have the same purpose and neither tries to be everything for everyone.

There are very few newspapers in the world that are growing, both in $$ and circulation, like my home town paper.

I enjoy reading it every day, sometimes just skimming, other times from cover to cover.

Is it my only source of news? Of course not.

I would be surprised if any resident in TV, who moved from an metropolitan area the size of TV enjoyed a daily newspaper that had the home town quality/coverage of news that TVDS provides.

I understand people may not like the content of TVDS. However using TVDS's lack of in-depth national/world coverage as their reason for trying to dismiss it as a poorly conceived/managed/operated newspaper shows a weak understanding of the purpose of my home town newspaper.

Don
Well said!!!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
A week or so ago I picked up the Daily Sun out of my driveway and immediately saw a big front-page headline pertaining to executions. This newspaper seems to delight in printing article after article about how the state of Florida kills its death row prisoners. I read my paper while I have breakfast and this bit of news didn't settle well with me at all. The Villages is an upbeat happy place to live. Knowing the details on how lethal drugs are administered, how they fail and what the inmate goes through when that happens is not news I need to read while I am trying to enjoy my first meal of the day. It is bad enough that the editors feel that we want to know the juicy details of these killings. What is next, an internet link so we can all see an ISIS beheading? I like The Daily Sun but these articles offend me as a human being who does not believe in killings of humans for any reasons. In my mind it is nothing more than another form of violence. If they feel they absolutely have to bombard us with this "news" it would be nice if they relegated it to a blip of an article, placed somewhere far away from the front page.
Did you think about turning the page? Just sayin'.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

The Daily Sun is a hometown/small town paper for the promotion of TV and informing it's residents in the process.

National news in print is yesterday's news.

I scan the Daily Sun to see what is going on or happened or happening. I do not even bother with outside TV news as I have already read it the day before....somewhere.

And I do not look at the advertisements so they don't bother me.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Gold member

I get the DS for the Friday Wheels section.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 PM

When I am in TV, I really don't care about what is going on around the world. TV is my world!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.