Daily Sun circulation - increasing or decreasing?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2018, 01:20 PM

What difference does it make which number is right?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
It depends on what you want in a newspaper. It gives me a lot of information about people and events here and I use the ads all the time. For me, it’s quite useful.
I like it 222...not a real news freak but enjoy the local update stuff..I cut the ads 222..and the paper pays for it's self buy what I save using the ads..win...win..
Old 11-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I love the Daily Sun for it’s local news, upbeat style and solid unbiased reporting of the facts unlike the propaganda organs of mainstream media.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage

I was thinking about the comments on this thread and have some thoughts. How many of the folks here once lived in a metro-area city? IF you're equating The Daily Sun to what you once read...then there's no comparision. To that I'll agree! BUT if you lived in a small town---it's similar to the papers from there. Homey, full of town-"news" and happenings with "some" of the other stuff sprinkled in. Years ago the local "paper" we got was a weekly and the "news" was about all the local folks and their social comings and goings. Imagine reading about stopping in for a coffee and chat as if it were a land-mark happening!! As for the radio---we listen 1st thing in the morning to catch what Larry and Jerry have to say. Generally we turn it off around 9 or 10 as we get into our day. It's really not much different than the stations from the smaller towns we lived in up north. Though up there you'd have "party-line" where people called in things "for sale" etc. They'd even share recipes. It's a free country (so far)---we can subscribe to whatever publication we want (either hard-print or internet) AND we can also listen to whatever we care to.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
The Sun publishes no real news at all, I signed up for a one year subscription and after a few months realized it truly wasn’t a newspaper. So I started giving it to my neighbor. It’s worthless and not anything of value is printed on the paper it’s a waste of paper
House organ....
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
House organ....
What does this mean???? I know I'm getting old but I'm TOTALY CONFUSED.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:26 PM

I guess I am a slow learner, lol, I signed up and paid for an entire year (price seemed reasonable enough), and slowly started throwing it away without even taking out of plastic sleeve (a VERY thoughtful way to deliver). Didn't want a diet of "bad" news, but, realized quickly it is not a "news" paper at all, but an very slick, and "happy" advertisement for he development. Slow learner because 4 or 5 years later I tired it AGAIN ! No complaints, I am the one who chose to waste the money, and THEN, knowing what I way buying, did it again. What is that they say about the definition insanity ? That doing the same thing over and over and expecting...….things to change. Thankfully a neighbor gave me a tip about an online news site which, together with the Orlando paper, and Talk of the Villages keeps me (and others l assume) from being completely ignorant about the important news. Sinkholes for example ?

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 11-26-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: left out word
Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Default It’s a fine paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstover View Post
I agree. It's informative, and I enjoy reading it at breakfast. If I'm in the mood, I Sometimes do the crossword puzzle. It's worth the pennies a day I pay.
Plenty of national news short stories and lots of happy information. I am in a place with internet to get all the news I want and the daily sun in a refreshing publication with adequate news and plenty of local ads. I heard the developer just took over the publishing. Let’s hope the Sun doesn’t go down hill. I like it the way it is.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 PM

I enjoy the paper very much. I spend most of my time in New York. The news in NY is a constant barrage of tragic events and cynical editorials. The newspapers in New York make me feel as if they are shouting at me . I’m older now and appreciate quiet . Be thankful for a community minded paper that provides uplifting and heart warming stories. It’s soothing to know they’re out there . As stated, I enjoy reading the paper.... when I am fortunate enough to be in The Villages, Imake my morning coffee, sit back, put my feet up and see what’s happening in the area of my beloved get away. It’s this lady’s opinion that the “Daily Sun” Is doing exactly what it is meant to do.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You're exactly right! Basicly I dropped the paper too because I think it's about all advertisements for TV. You could take the news they do have in it & they could put it all on 3 or 4 pages. The local news they put in it is mostly old news, 3 to 6 months old. I just got tired of reading old news & advertisements for something I don't use or never will use. But you can't beat the price! But when I do buy a paper, I buy 2 different days that I like, 1 of them is Fridays.
3 to six months old? Really? Are we reading the same Sun local section? Mine has event previews and reviews for things happening each week. Maybe sometimes the weekend events run a few days later. 3 months is a huge exaggeration.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 PM

Look at most newspapers these days -- they're shells of what they used to be after years of downsizing -- and you'll gain some appreciation for the Daily Sun. It's not a Pulitzer Prize winner, but it's never claimed to be. It's never been a secret that it exists to lure homebuyers to The Villages, so no, you won't find much "bad" news. But it is a sizable, vibrant paper with top-notch design and photography. The news sections are bigger than what you find in major metro papers. The sports section apparently has decent deadlines and gets in scores from almost every pro and college game in the Eastern and Central time zones, which is no longer the case with most papers on the East Coast (and important to me as a sports fan). It has travel, auto and home/garden sections, which have been eliminated by most other papers in cost-cutting moves. If you want to know where and when to go to a club meeting or read about someone who is doing great work in the community, it's in the Daily Sun. If you want breathless reporting on Stormy Daniels or Robert Mueller ... that's what CNN is for.

As for reported circulation decline, it's my understanding that the online publication's recent coverage is being guided largely by an ex-Daily Sun executive who moved to the "competition" a few months ago and has no love for his former employer. So maybe the report is accurate, or maybe we need to consider the source.

Last edited by Papillons; 11-26-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You're exactly right! Basicly I dropped the paper too because I think it's about all advertisements for TV. You could take the news they do have in it & they could put it all on 3 or 4 pages. The local news they put in it is mostly old news, 3 to 6 months old. I just got tired of reading old news & advertisements for something I don't use or never will use. But you can't beat the price! But when I do buy a paper, I buy 2 different days that I like, 1 of them is Fridays.
Maybe you will find a local paper to your liking back in Ohio.

Tags
daily, circulation, sun, statement, publishers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.