Daily Sun Online

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinparadise View Post
When I was the executive producer at a local television station my job was to insure all the news was written factually, detailed and unslanted. Though many newspapers look for and publish the hardest stories on the front page (if it bleeds, it leads), some choose to go a different route with its news. The Daily Sun chooses to run stories that make you feel good, others are more hard hitting (Miami Herald). The great thing about our country is that we are given the freedom to pick and choose what we read and watch on television. If you don't like the content of the Daily Sun, don't read it. IMHO, it is a breath of fresh air and I'll continue to be a subscriber.
Well said! I am with you!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
that batch of paper sheets we receive on our driveway should be never considered a newspaper at all,,,, it is a puff sheet for the powers that be here,,, there is not a grain sand of chance of getting unbiased news from it.... the best way to describe it is very similar to former Soviet Union news agency Provida. As far as the online issue,, save your bandwidth... The Villages is very backwards as far as use of World Wide Web. Radio Station not streamed, who knows what excuse they use for not doing that. Newspaper not online, for what reason? TV station is a HUGE puff of Past activities. Speaking of puff, the moderator certainly has a face for radio! I criticize. not because I disagree, I am able to see the issues in a factual manner. Some folks are very intolerate of those who dont agree with them. and want to suppress them. That my friend is a very scary way to live your life .
The GRIT had more facts in it than the fish wrap they give us.
I know you are a very nice person but this post made me very angry. I am sure you know that the Boston Globe has a slant, you may not know that the Cincinnati Enquirer has a slant. In High School our English teacher made us read several magazines and papers and made us see that they had a political slant and showed us how to determine it (Most of us weren't interested in politics at that age) .

The people that own the publication can and do choose the way the editorial pages read. The Daily Sun does an adequate job presenting the news and they do not sensationalize or comment on events that are presented. They do not invade residents privacy in reporting. For instance, they do not report suicides. I agree with that.

We have had one murder ever in TV. It involved a woman whose daughter who lived with her was involved somehow with the drug community. We had a woman shoot her husband, he did not die. It was reported but not sensationalized. I am o.k. with that. They did say he crawled out of the bathroom window and ran naked next door to the neighbors.

As far as selling houses, it is a vehicle for the developer to do that and that in itself is a huge help for people here who are looking for a house which is a lot of folks. Sweetie played golf yesterday with one of the villages sales reps and he told Sweetie that they sold 437 houses last month.

Many of us enjoy the pictures of the people fishing and the people in the baton twirlers group and the people in the art classes. I get a good feeling seeing that so many others are enjoying life.

I find that the grammar errors and the spelling errors are much less than they were four years ago. I think like most everything else around here, experience and input has improved The Daily Sun.

I am a person who doesn't much read the editorial page. I like to keep my blood pressure low and my outlook sunny. There are far fewer days ahead than there are behind for most of us. (Even with a vegan diet)

Have a beautiful day in The Villages.

AND NO, I DON'T work for the developer. I don't know the developer but I would like to shake his hand someday.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-06-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
When I was the executive producer at a local television station my job was to insure all the news was written factually, detailed and unslanted. Though many newspapers look for and publish the hardest stories on the front page (if it bleeds, it leads), some choose to go a different route with its news. The Daily Sun chooses to run stories that make you feel good, others are more hard hitting (Miami Herald). The great thing about our country is that we are given the freedom to pick and choose what we read and watch on television. If you don't like the content of the Daily Sun, don't read it. IMHO, it is a breath of fresh air and I'll continue to be a subscriber.
I just skip the Editorial/Commentary pages most of the time but enjoy some of the other stuff in The Villages Daily Sun.

The typos and factual mistakes do seem to be appearing less and less too.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
nope they make you pay forever Sorry you can start and stop when you want
Funny....

I think that would be a starting point if the paper is such an aggravation to one who receives it.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
TOTV Moderator

The topic is the online content for the Daily Sun. Please refrain from personal comments.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:

I agree 100%. We enjoyed the paper and miss it.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I know you are a very nice person but this post made me very angry. I am sure you know that the Boston Globe has a slant, you may not know that the Cincinnati Enquirer has a slant. In High School our English teacher made us read several magazines and papers and made us see that they had a political slant and showed us how to determine it (Most of us weren't interested in politics at that age) .

The people that own the publication can and do choose the way the editorial pages read. The Daily Sun does an adequate job presenting the news and they do not sensationalize or comment on events that are presented. They do not invade residents privacy in reporting. For instance, they do not report suicides. I agree with that.

We have had one murder ever in TV. It involved a woman whose daughter who lived with her was involved somehow with the drug community. We had a woman shoot her husband, he did not die. It was reported but not sensationalized. I am o.k. with that. They did say he crawled out of the bathroom window and ran naked next door to the neighbors.

As far as selling houses, it is a vehicle for the developer to do that and that in itself is a huge help for people here who are looking for a house which is a lot of folks. Sweetie played golf yesterday with one of the villages sales reps and he told Sweetie that they sold 437 houses last month.

Many of us enjoy the pictures of the people fishing and the people in the baton twirlers group and the people in the art classes. I get a good feeling seeing that so many others are enjoying life.

I find that the grammar errors and the spelling errors are much less than they were four years ago. I think like most everything else around here, experience and input has improved The Daily Sun.

I am a person who doesn't much read the editorial page. I like to keep my blood pressure low and my outlook sunny. There are far fewer days ahead than there are behind for most of us. (Even with a vegan diet)

AND NO, I DON'T work for the developer. I don't know the developer but I would like to shake his hand someday.
Great post Gracie !!!

What I could add to what you've already said, is that although the management supplied the free paper for our 4 day Lifestyle Visit, once we moved to our one month rental......we really missed it.

Hubby called the Daily Sun's subscription office and a very nice woman took all of our particulars to set up a one month delivery subscription to our new address. It was a bit "slow going" but she was trying to be totally accurate......the carrier never missed a morning; bright and early the paper was always at our front door. Excellent service.

He left us a Christmas card with his name and address, which I packed away in my suitcase......and sent him a tip in his Christmas card. That shows how happy we were with the service.

p.s. An earlier post of mine detailed our enjoyment of reading the actual paper including the human interest stories.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM

The moderator has made a very good point. The online version serves a purpose. I enjoyed it in Ohio when I did not have the opportunity to mosey out to my driveway and retrieve it. Which brings up a pertinent aspect, their customer service is superb and even though I'm not real happy about subsidizing the media budget of the developer I do enjoy paging thru it in the morning and when I am traveling I use the online version. Thus I have relented to accepting it as an important aspect of living the Villages Lifestyle. Occassionally when I remove the second plastic bag on a rainey day I remember my years of delivering, are you ready for this Gracie, the Cincinnati Times-Star. No bags then, you had to put the paper behind the door or where it would not get wet - no on-liner version then......

An idea, I did the Sun and WSJ for a year or so which I found to be a good combination, especially with their on-line version as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

you should read the daily sun and then you might know what is going on in the fillsges. I like the sun. I also like the tv news for national news
rd
Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

We learned that you didn't work for the developer when you weren't in the loop about the sale of the paper.
ps: GG it will never go totally on-line under this new ownership
Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Sage

On my two LSV's, I found the Daily Sun very good helping me decide what to that day.

Anything more, I'll get my hard news from the internet.

It is what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
We learned that you didn't work for the developer when you weren't in the loop about the sale of the paper.
ps: GG it will never go totally on-line under this new ownership

Um...where is that ad for the new squirt guns. Bill? P?

Posh. You are full of it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Um...where is that ad for the new squirt guns. Bill? P?

Posh. You are full of it.
GG, there is no P in Lake Sumter, but it may be full of it too?

ps: hugs from Virginia
Old 07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

The hard copy is quite a bit better, online is near worthless.
It's not the NY Times, but it's a nice little paper
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Um...where is that ad for the new squirt guns. Bill? P? ........
Waterguns to the rescue!!!

Don't mess with the ladies with the water guns - they are "well equipped", so to speak!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.