It is dangerous in them thar parts.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default It is dangerous in them thar parts.

I took my pooch to get Monday 's mail and had just got it when I spotted two ladies in an animated conversation and went behind one as there was more room there. Or, so I had thought. Just as I was right behind one she throws both hands back fast. And fortunately for me hit the bunch of keys in my left pocket. Very close but no.....

And then when I was about to pull out of the mail center a blonde woman in a dark sports utility small truck comes around a blind corner at somewhere over the speed limit causing me to slam on my brakes. We only got a few feet out at that time.

Quite a dangerous afternoon just to pick up junk mail. And thank God for the bunch of keys.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I took my pooch to get Monday 's mail and had just got it when I spotted two ladies in an animated conversation and went behind one as there was more room there. Or, so I had thought. Just as I was right behind one she throws both hands back fast. And fortunately for me hit the bunch of keys in my left pocket. Very close but no.....

And then when I was about to pull out of the mail center a blonde woman in a dark sports utility small truck comes around a blind corner at somewhere over the speed limit causing me to slam on my brakes. We only got a few feet out at that time.

Quite a dangerous afternoon just to pick up junk mail. And thank God for the bunch of keys.

Thanks for the chuckle. Glad you're safe.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Wear a cup next time you go!
Old 03-11-2024, 04:21 PM
Gold member

FWIW,

My mail station has rush hour when the mail is delivered. Why everyone has to rush out to get the mail is a mystery to me. Maybe sneak out early or late, it's just junk after all. On the other hand, it is a good time to run into people
Old 03-11-2024, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post

Thanks for the chuckle. Glad you're safe.
It does make a funny story. I do wonder what the two ladies were thinking right after this happened? I mean the ones in an animated conversation. I just said "Excuse me" while walking behind them and right after I felt a left hand hit my keys.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
FWIW,

My mail station has rush hour when the mail is delivered. Why everyone has to rush out to get the mail is a mystery to me. Maybe sneak out early or late, it's just junk after all. On the other hand, it is a good time to run into people
I used to go about once per week, but now it's every 2 weeks. I wish the USPS would allow me to cancel my mail account. But, that would save the taxpayers money, and reduce the number of Government jobs.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I used to go about once per week, but now it's every 2 weeks. I wish the USPS would allow me to cancel my mail account. But, that would save the taxpayers money, and reduce the number of Government jobs.
I ran into a 25 year old woman who used to help her parents with getting the US mail to various Villages' mail centers. She did this on Saturdays when she was about 14 years old and a bit older.

She was one of our home care people. She did look familiar to me but I could not place her before she told me that.

We have been in the place here in the Villages since 2005.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Agreed! I have heard of this happening but I wonder how many people cross major highways and get hit or worse yet killed to get the mail or newspaper. My dad does and I have no way of stopping it because they HAVE to retrieve it daily (I have had the conversation of paperless, etc.) but apparantly it’s still 1980….!
Old 03-11-2024, 09:56 PM
Sage

I wish they would put a mirror on the other side of the stop sign by the blind curve. That could solve some problems. Some of the cars going around that bend are doing a lot more than 25 mph.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Informed Delivery - Mail & Package Notifications | USPS

You can go to this link, create an account, and every day you swill get an email letting you know what mail or packages are arriving. No cost!!
Old 03-12-2024, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

In UK, we are so grateful that our postal system still includes posties delivering door to door each day.
Our village postie keeps an eye on the elderly living alone, and make sure they are well.
Plus he knows all that's going on, so is a font of information, and best of all, hears all the local gossip.
It's like Peyton Place round here!!
Old 03-12-2024, 05:44 AM

Just like the paper says: "America's Friendliest Hometown."
Old 03-12-2024, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

I always smile when I think of the village gravestone to an ex-postmistress

It read.

""Here lies the body of Miss Emily Stamp, Post Mistress for 40 years, and spinster of this Parish.
Returned unopened.""
Old 03-12-2024, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

I get an email from usps every day showing me what mail I’m getting. This does not show flyers or magazine delivery’s, just pics of envelope mail.

For some people, getting out to get their mail gets them out of the house and could be their daily exercise.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I hate when kiosk mailboxes are a distance from your house.

Tags
mail, bunch, keys, dangerous, truck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.