Deans Pest Control

Old 02-02-2024, 02:29 PM
Default Deans Pest Control

Public Service Announcement:
We lived in The Villages and used Deans for Termite treatment 12 years. We moved out of The Villages 4 months ago. I did NOT receive a notification that the 2024 service would be done, I was told they mailed it. I did however receive a bill for service. I had no idea that I needed to call to advise we had moved. I called and asked them to send the statement to the new home owner and was told NO, it wasn’t their job to do that, the account was still in my name. When I stated I thought it was an annual agreement, when I paid we’d be protected for the year. Was told their paperwork, which I have never seen, states it is self renewing. 😳 Appears I’m on the hook for $171. Beware!
Old 02-02-2024, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

I would think that when you move you need to tell your vendors to stop service to avoid this type of problem
Old 02-02-2024, 02:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I would think that when you move you need to tell your vendors to stop service to avoid this type of problem
One would certainly think that.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

That's a new one, thank for letting us know you moved.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

Almost all termite treatment plan agreements have a self renewing clause. If you were provided a contract after the initial treatment and it had a self renewing clause, then you owe them for the annual treatment, assuming they performed it. I totally agree with Deans that they cannot expect the new homeowner to pay for the treatment that they didn't order.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,614 Times in 946 Posts

I can’t believe Deans doesn’t check the real estate transactions to see when their customers move

I know, I get a call from my exterminator, telling me they are coming - they don’t just randomly walk onto my property.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Almost all termite treatment plan agreements have a self renewing clause. If you were provided a contract after the initial treatment and it had a self renewing clause, then you owe them for the annual treatment, assuming they performed it. I totally agree with Deans that they cannot expect the new homeowner to pay for the treatment that they didn't order.
I would imagine the homeowner has to sign paperwork when the work is done and somewhere in there is the annual contract.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:01 PM
Default Not gonna happen....

I can’t believe Deans doesn’t check the real estate transactions to see when their customers move

Not the contractors responsibility. Most contractual services self renew if you don't notify -- also true for most services you purchase via Internet (paid apps are a good example). This is no different from discontinuing the water, gas, electric, etc. when you sell your home. If you no longer want to be responsible for payment stop the service.

Consumers need to be aware what they are purchasing and the fine print to what they are signing. I am sorry that it ended up being a costly lesson for you.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

We have sold four houses here, Seco, TECO, notified to stop services on day of closing a two weeks in advance.
Banks, Postoffice of change of addresses notify 30 days in advance.

Dean’s service held treatment if any for the week of closing, soon as paperwork signed, called to cancel all services.

To blame a company for poor planning on your part is just wrong.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

Dispute the fee with your credit card company. Deans will have to show they performed a service on YOUR PROPERTY. If you win, your money is refunded and Deans has no means to collect or report on your credit. If you lose, cost you nothing more than the $171.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Dispute the fee with your credit card company. Deans will have to show they performed a service on YOUR PROPERTY. If you win, your money is refunded and Deans has no means to collect or report on your credit. If you lose, cost you nothing more than the $171.
I don't think that Deans is required to determine who actually owns a property to enforce a termite contract that the OP signed. Typically, contractors will perform work for anyone who agrees to pay for the work. For example, if a renter hires a contractor to paint a room, can he refuse to pay because he doesn't own the house?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Beware of what? You are in the wrong.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
Public Service Announcement:
We lived in The Villages and used Deans for Termite treatment 12 years. We moved out of The Villages 4 months ago. I did NOT receive a notification that the 2024 service would be done, I was told they mailed it. I did however receive a bill for service. I had no idea that I needed to call to advise we had moved. I called and asked them to send the statement to the new home owner and was told NO, it wasn’t their job to do that, the account was still in my name. When I stated I thought it was an annual agreement, when I paid we’d be protected for the year. Was told their paperwork, which I have never seen, states it is self renewing. 😳 Appears I’m on the hook for $171. Beware!
Did you check with the new homeowner to see if service was done? The little sign on lawn? They came in and checked for termites? If new homeowner paid them as well and you have proof I would question the company's ethics in business. If new owner sent them away I would think least the company would do is call you?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE=Corvette;2297598]Public Service Announcement:

Deans always calls/emails and lets us know they will be coming to perform a service. If you didn’t tell them you were no longer the owner how would they know that?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:32 AM

Karen? It is your responsibility. Case closed.

Tags
service, told, deans, receive, moved

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.