Mallord Filmore not published in Daily Sun Newspaper

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2021, 07:47 AM
Default Mallord Filmore not published in Daily Sun Newspaper

The past few days it appears Mallord Fillmore comic is no longer in the Daily Sun newspaper. I have written the newspaper with no response. Any one else missing the comic strip? it is a conservative view and they are losing their audience as many more liberal papers are dropping the strip.

Last edited by Newbeginnings; 08-19-2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-2021, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

I noticed that too.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:57 AM

I miss it.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I did not notice that. I WILL call the Sun and ask WHY? Just googled to see if there was a valid reason - ie. writer died, etc etc. If I don't get an acceptable answer from the Sun I will continue to call and protest. IF this is a "P.C. Cancel" matter by the Sun - that's totally unacceptable. Will advise, and others should call The Sun as well.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

The comic is Mallard Fillmore not Mallord Filmore. If you are missing the strip you can view it online at

Comics Kingdom - Mallard Fillmore

Millard Fillmore was the 13th POTUS gaining office when Z. Taylor died. He was the last Whig to be POTUS and is generally a very lowly ranked POTUS. He did found the Univ of Buffalo and established the first library in the White House.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I did not notice that. I WILL call the Sun and ask WHY? Just googled to see if there was a valid reason - ie. writer died, etc etc. If I don't get an acceptable answer from the Sun I will continue to call and protest. IF this is a "P.C. Cancel" matter by the Sun - that's totally unacceptable. Will advise, and others should call The Sun as well.
If it is part of the "cancel culture" I will cancel my subscription. Seems Gannet Press has it banned in all its holdings.

Gannett Banishes Mallard For Ruffling Feathers About Transgenders In Girls Sports - When The Abuser Goes To Work...
Old 08-19-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

The Mallard Fillmore comic strip was the only good thing in The Daily Sun, now that is gone. Why? I guess Tinsley was too conservative in his views. Feels like censorship.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 AM

I just called the ds, let's see if they call back.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
The Mallard Fillmore comic strip was the only good thing in The Daily Sun, now that is gone. Why? I guess Tinsley was too conservative in his views. Feels like censorship.

Aside from the box scores Mallard and and the comic strip 'Shoe' were the only things that interested me in the DS

I feel cheated that someone at the DS felt the strip was too politically incorrect for their readership

But the DS is just a bunch of ads decorated with a few pictures that residents send in and the same news we all caught the day
before on the internet anyway

I just called the 'Life Style Desk' to let them know I'd like the Mallard Fillmore strip back....the phone rang and rang and never went to voice mail.... if there actually was a letter's to the editor section other than the weekly 'thank you notes' I'd write one.....

Last edited by davem4616; 08-19-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 AM

I also called the Sun, they transferred my call to a non answering number. It did allow me to leave a message.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

In this case, the solution to Cancel Culture is pretty simple: CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION.

If the Mallard is not back but Sunday, I will be cancelling my subscription first thing Monday Morning. I suggest everyone do the same.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

I am very much in favor of diversity. Diversity of all kinds, race, culture, religious and opinions. While Mallard Fillmore sometimes infuriated me, there were times I thought it was spot on. If we can't learn to accept differences in people, their culture, their beliefs and opinions and be willing to allow them to express themselves then we are not the free and open melting pot society I was raised to believe in.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
In this case, the solution to Cancel Culture is pretty simple: CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION.

If the Mallard is not back but Sunday, I will be cancelling my subscription first thing Monday Morning. I suggest everyone do the same.
I (kind of) agree, but IMO that will NOT be enough to make a stance. If they do not have a valid and understandable reason (for cancellation of MF strip). I plan to NOT simply cancel. I personally have HAD ENOUGH of cancel culture in this country.
I googled and>>>

Bruce Tinsley, creator of the 27-year-old cartoon, said he was told this week by his syndication company that Gannett newspapers across the country simultaneously dropped the comic over two strips critical of President Biden and transgender participation in women’s sports.

“It was a big shock,” Mr. Tinsley told The Washington Times. “From what I’m hearing, it was unprecedented. My syndicate had never seen anything like it.”

He said officials at King Features, which syndicates the cartoon, said that “a decision was made at the [Gannett] corporate level, and they weren’t sure exactly why, except that they were sure it was about those two cartoons.”His strip has been dropped before — sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently — but he said those moves were made by local editors on a newspaper-by-newspaper basis, not by corporate headquarters in a decision affecting multiple publications.

“So I’m used to this phenomenon, I’m just not used to it coming from the corporate level,” Mr. Tinsley said. “I still don’t know how many. They said it had never happened before. it was all at once and it was a mandate from the corporation, not any individual editors’ decisions.”
[Tinsley] said “Mallard Fillmore” continues to be syndicated by King Features — “They’ve been really supportive” — and that his editors warned him that his royalty check would be significantly smaller with the strip running in fewer newspapers.

“They said, ‘We knew you would not believe it when you see your check, because this is a huge hit,’” Mr. Tinsley said.

He said he took time off last year due to a long illness. During that time, the syndicate brought in another cartoonist, Loren Fishman, to draw “Mallard Fillmore,” and that they now split duties.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

I believe in the value of diversity. Diversity of race, culture, religion and diversity of opinion. While Mallard Fillmore oftentimes infuriated me, there were a few times I thought "he" was spot on. If we can't accept open and honest expressions of differing opinions, then Lord help us.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Thankfully they didn't stop the real estate adds!
Closed Thread

Tags
newspaper, comic, strip, filmore, mallord

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.