Deed restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,005 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
don't tell me about paying attention.. when someone tells me what i can or cannot do with My property they better be paying my property taxes, or **** off. and real estate people are only selling "a lifestyle, not a home" and only are about the commission, there was never a mention of these restrictions before, during or after closing. we were told about them when we were getting our ID cards. I can only hope that someone will come to their senses and fix this..( i know, it's not broken) can't wait to leave!!
Good luck getting your property tax paid or having them **** off. Don’t think you’ll last long here
Old 08-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Your real estate person should have informed you that you were looking at a deed-restricted neighborhood. The restrictions are online, were likely presented to you before closing, and were certainly part of closing. If you weren't aware of them until after you closed then you weren't paying attention.

Allowing pink flamingos would be moving back to the 50s.
I took that "pink flamingo" comment to be tongue in cheek. We all know pink flamingos are tacky, tacky, tacky.

I've seen beautiful looking flamingos (not pink) that enhance the landscape and I have no objection to them. I am aware those nice flamingos are also against most deed restrictions in The Villages.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
don't tell me about paying attention.. when someone tells me what i can or cannot do with My property they better be paying my property taxes, or **** off. and real estate people are only selling "a lifestyle, not a home" and only are about the commission, there was never a mention of these restrictions before, during or after closing. we were told about them when we were getting our ID cards. I can only hope that someone will come to their senses and fix this..( i know, it's not broken) can't wait to leave!!
Leaving?
You will not be missed……
Old 08-01-2022, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,695 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
1. No one tells you what you can and cannot do with your property. You told yourself what you can and cannot do the second you signed the contract agreeing to the deed restrictions.

2. Buh Bye
Old 08-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
If you are really that sure that you did not sign the deed restrictions then go ahead and put up your pink flamingo and see how it goes. If no one reports it then you're fine. If someone does report it then you can roll out your "**** off" attitude and your emphatic denial that you ever signed the restrictions that 70,000+ others have signed. You might be the one they forgot.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
You honestly did not know this is a deed restricted community until AFTER you closed? That really surprises me. Take a look around and you can tell this community is pristine. IMHO, deed restrictions is what it takes to have a pristine looking community.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
If you are really that sure that you did not sign the deed restrictions then go ahead and put up your pink flamingo and see how it goes. If no one reports it then you're fine. If someone does report it then you can roll out your "**** off" attitude and your emphatic denial that you ever signed the restrictions that 70,000+ others have signed. You might be the one they forgot.
Why does the OP insist he/she wasn't told of the deed restriction in The Villages? Why doesn't the OP go through his/her closing documents. The signed deed restrictions should be among those papers. Case closed.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Why does the OP insist he/she wasn't told of the deed restriction in The Villages? Why doesn't the OP go through his/her closing documents. The signed deed restrictions should be among those papers. Case closed.
In all fairness, we all know what closing is like-----50 or 60 signatures on a mountain of paper. Probably that person doesn't remember signing deed restrictions and has now convinced himself he never was told about them or signed. Bottom line----it doesn't matter----abide by the deed restrictions, violate them and live with the consequences, or move. Three obvious choices.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote:
the restrictions are ridiculous and outdated I wish they would give you these things up front instead of after you close. Not to be allowed to have a pink flamingo on your lawn in florida is just stupid. I would to see them brought up to the 21st century.
It seems there should be a mechanism to update if approved by a majority of the home owners.

There are areas for example where far more than 50% of the homes have similar non compliances.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
It seems there should be a mechanism to update if approved by a majority of the home owners.

There are areas for example where far more than 50% of the homes have similar non compliances.
Majority of home owners? Can’t get a consensus on when dusk occurs.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
In all fairness, we all know what closing is like-----50 or 60 signatures on a mountain of paper. Probably that person doesn't remember signing deed restrictions and has now convinced himself he never was told about them or signed. Bottom line----it doesn't matter----abide by the deed restrictions, violate them and live with the consequences, or move. Three obvious choices.
I agree with the three obvious choices you cited. I would say in my opinion, that if someone forgets signing an important document in a pile of documents, it couldn’t have been that important to them at the time it was signed.

Based solely on anecdotal evidence it seems that when faced with the large number of documents that needs to be signed, there are those who don’t read every document, but glance and sign. I am not saying everyone does it that way, but I refuse to sign or initial any document that I haven’t read and understood. I will take as much of the sales person’s time or office time as I need. Blank spaces to be filled in later? The document is not ready for my signature.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I do
I am sure you do but think you are in a small minority of people doing so. I had a rough idea of what is allowed, but did not take the time to read thru the whole thing at closing (but should have) and have learned a lot more on here.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I am sure you do but think you are in a small minority of people doing so. I had a rough idea of what is allowed, but did not take the time to read thru the whole thing at closing (but should have) and have learned a lot more on here.
I did the same thing. At closing you are signing a stack of paper large enough you can measure it with a ruler. Much (most? all?) of it is standard boilerplate with your specific details filled in.

Is there really a chance that someone is going to notice a detail in one of those documents and decide they are not going to purchase the house? "I was really looking forward to buying this house but I won't do it if I can't put pink flamingos in the yard."

If someone wants to live in the Villages then this is the stack of paper they are going to sign. A buyer can puff up and say they are going to keep everyone here until they read and understand every paragraph but in the end either they sign it or they forfeit their deposit. There really is no negotiation: just like software EULAs, you click the button, sign the papers, or go somewhere else.

I did spend a considerable amount of time reading the details later. Fortunately, I never planned on raising a flock of pink flamingo statues.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 08-01-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Point being is you knew you signed a whole bunch of documents, involving lots of pages of stuff. You knew you didn't read each page of each document carefully, but you know you have them and signed them. If pressed, you would be able to check on your copy of those documents, to see what's in them when circumstances required it.

This frose person insists that he wasn't TOLD about anything. He signed documents, but has he even checked those documents to see what, exactly, he signed? Doubtful.

Or he's just making up a troll story for us to respond to, and doesn't even own property here in the Villages at all. That's always a possibility. He could be someone's grand-kid on summer break.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Point being is you knew you signed a whole bunch of documents, involving lots of pages of stuff. You knew you didn't read each page of each document carefully, but you know you have them and signed them. If pressed, you would be able to check on your copy of those documents, to see what's in them when circumstances required it.

This frose person insists that he wasn't TOLD about anything. He signed documents, but has he even checked those documents to see what, exactly, he signed? Doubtful.

Or he's just making up a troll story for us to respond to, and doesn't even own property here in the Villages at all. That's always a possibility. He could be someone's grand-kid on summer break.
Not all that much for grandkids to do here, so a distinct possibility.
Closed Thread

Tags
deed, people, restrictions, community, patio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.