Defending Living in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2023, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Pitchers get traded……..scorekeepers not so much!
I will have to think about that. I suppose that it makes sense .......to somebody. I am just having a little difficulty with it ......maybe some esoteric, deep, hidden meaning?
Old 02-11-2023, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Pitchers get traded……..scorekeepers not so much!
I WILL have to think about that. I suppose that it is meaningful to somebody? Maybe there is some esoteric, deep, philosophy going on there?
Old 02-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
NEVER gonna happen. I have too much of a LIFE to try to post that much. I doubt I post 30 times in a week.

You don't provide a DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS. You provide the same ones over and over and over and over and over again. But feel free to keep on being diverse. I think I'll finally place you on my ignore list.
Well, the logic here is that if one person (such as yourself) has different opinions about various subjects than myself.....then together - we have created diversity. I feel that, for the population of The Villages, your average opinions agree with ABOUT 70 % of the total Villagers. (and before someone asks me, "where is your dang blasted link"........I will admit to NOT having one). So, I estimate that about 25% of The Villagers agree with MY average OPINIONS and about 5% are in a semi-veg state and have zero opinions about ANYTHING.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlyworking View Post
I haven’t, but I’ve found that some people lead miserable lives and can’t stand to see anyone be happy.
Hater’s be hating! It’s what ever you want it to be, enjoy.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
And is the scorekeeper at a professional baseball game PAID MORE than the starting pitchers? Just asken!
Keep working on your post count totals. You may catch up with a couple of other serial posters (they know who they are, and likely so do you) at this rate.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

As the OP, am I allowed to end this thread now, since it has ZERO to do with my original post?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I love it here - If anybody asks.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-12-2023, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder how these folks think STDs are transmitted. Sometimes when someone mentions the STDs in The Villages, I respond with something like "Yes, you wouldn't like it here. You would like it so much better up North where you can sit on your porch and watch folks go to work and the kids go to school every day. Then you can sit back and watch your game shows and News all day long in peace." I've been married 50 years and have never had an STD. Is there any reason to believe that by living in the Villages, there is a better chance of contracting an STD than living up North? Is it the warm, sunny weather? Do seniors pass STDs on easier than the young? I wonder about one's common sense when they mention "STD's" in The Villages. Does that subject really sound logical? Maybe some folks are just curious about the rumors and want clarification on the subject. Can they really be that dense that they would consider this ridiculous fantasy?
It doesn't matter to me what they think of this place. There is never a time when a house won't sell down here, so it's their loss. I had a chance to purchase McDonald's stock when I was in my late teens, and I declined saying " this place will never make it." Some folks make good choices and some have to live with missed opportunities. And life goes on.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:25 AM

Haven't been here long, but I love it so far. I have a hard time believing that anyone else cares what I like or don't like.
Just my unbiased cynical opinion.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder how these folks think STDs are transmitted. Sometimes when someone mentions the STDs in The Villages, I respond with something like "Yes, you wouldn't like it here. You would like it so much better up North where you can sit on your porch and watch folks go to work and the kids go to school every day. Then you can sit back and watch your game shows and News all day long in peace." I've been married 50 years and have never had an STD. Is there any reason to believe that by living in the Villages, there is a better chance of contracting an STD than living up North? Is it the warm, sunny weather? Do seniors pass STDs on easier than the young? I wonder about one's common sense when they mention "STD's" in The Villages. Does that subject really sound logical? Maybe some folks are just curious about the rumors and want clarification on the subject. Can they really be that dense that they would consider this ridiculous fantasy?
It doesn't matter to me what they think of this place. There is never a time when a house won't sell down here, so it's their loss. I had a chance to purchase McDonald's stock when I was in my late teens, and I declined saying " this place will never make it." Some folks make good choices and some have to live with missed opportunities. And life goes on.
I knew a person once who claimed she could get pregnant over the phone. Can STDs be transmitted the same way?
Old 02-12-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

I may have said this before, but I like that people have such a negative opinion of The Villages. It actually helps to slow sales down, slow the increase in traffic and crowding.

It's like knowing the secret to the Fountain of Youth. Once you find it, you don't really want to share it with the world. The world will over-exploit it and turn it into something you don't really care for. Kinda like all the other Californians moving to Tennessee. It was great when we got there - getting more crowded and changing the culture noticeably in just the recent few years.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 02-12-2023, 02:22 PM

I don't say I live in The Villages, I just give the name of my particular village(e.g., Springfield) and that it's a retirement community on 441 just south of Ocala. Saves me a lot of boring conversation.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:49 AM
Default Welcome to The Villages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m still a fairly new Villages resident. I took my first vacation since moving here (two week Caribbean cruise). While on the cruise, I proudly told people I had just moved to Florida, and The Villages in particular. Gushed enthusiastically, as I talked about my beautiful new retirement home. Over and over, was met with people questioning my decision, asking if I had done my “homework” ahead of time, and stating that my “honeymoon”will soon wear off. I asked these folks if they had ever visited the Villages - none of them had, but all seemed to have a very strong opinion, mostly negative about The Villages. It became tiresome, having to dispute the false rumors and erroneous stats that they spewed out. It became evident that these strangers did not want me to be happy with my new community and decision I had made. I was frankly taken back that so many people wanted me to feel bad. I guess this is something I will have to get to used to. After awhile, I just told people I was from Central Florida near Orlando, and left it at that. Has anyone else experience this when traveling outside of ‘The Bubble”?
If you're happy, that's all that matters! We've never regretted our decision to move here and have really enjoyed our life here in The Villages. It truly is a place to experience - no description can do it justice. There are always "nay-sayers" - just let it go and enjoy your new home. Welcome!

Last edited by SunnyH; 02-15-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, people, florida, decision, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.