Dehumidifier & Air Conditioning ?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Dehumidifier & Air Conditioning ?

I'm new to the villages and am wondering if anyone has efficiently and economically utilized both an air conditioner and dehumidifier, to combat this heat. If so, what technique is best.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I'm new to the villages and am wondering if anyone has efficiently and economically utilized both an air conditioner and dehumidifier, to combat this heat. If so, what technique is best.
Our air conditioning is super here. We have a concrete block house and it holds cool in nicely. Much cheaper to air condition than home up North.

Some people have dehumidifiers but we don't and don't see the need.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I believe, if you have a home with 60% or less humidity you are wasting your resources on a dehumidifier. I manage my home remotely by humidity, not temp. I can assure you that this year a home with a temp of 84 degrees or less has a humidity of 60 or less.

This begs the question, do you want to live in a temperature controller environment of 84? So, you will have the A.C. Set lower, and lose humidity as well. My thermostat e-mails me if the humidity gets too high. Not sure about the builders grade thermostat. Right now I have renters, they have it set for 77, the humidity is 55%

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-04-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I believe, if you have a home with 60% or less humidity you are wasting your resources on a dehumidifier. I manage my home remotely by humidity, not temp. I can assure you that this year a home with a temp of 84 degrees or less has a humidity of 60 or less.

This begs the question, do you want to live in a temperature controller environment of 84? My thermostat e-mails me if the humidity gets too high. Not sure about the builders grade thermostat. Right now I have renters, they have it set for 77, the humidity is 55%
Very interesting.

From AccuWeather web site for The Villages right now;
Humidity: 94%
But, that's outside.
Could it be that since you have it set at 77 it has over time reduced the interior humidity? I've been using fans during the evening which of course sucks in the humid air. Guess I should get a hygrometer.

Humidity Averages for Florida in June - Current Results

Last edited by SFSkol; 06-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Your AC unit is a great dehumidifier. However, there are situations during the day and seasons where it does not run for long periods of time. The most obvious is when the outside temperature is below your setting. During that time, the humidity level inside is going up towards the outside level. When that happens, you feel increased warmth when the temperature has hardly changed.

With the availability of advanced electronics, the manufacturers are offering advanced comfort systems. These are basically like Toymeister indicated. They bring the humidity level into the control arena. Most of this is handled with advanced theromostat electronics, basically specific computers. Fundamentally, when the humidity goes up, it will run the system to reduce it. Usually that will reduce the temperature below your desired setting. To lesson this the manufacture is adding "stages" to the system. As with everything, these are higher priced units today. I find that they work very good and will likely become more mainstream systems. This should reduce the cost somewhat. The cost savings to the owner comes from living in a higher temperature humidity controlled environment. Most of the complexity is in the electronics which is very reliable today, so it could actually extend the HVAC hardware life.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

The standard builder's Carrier thermostat has a dehumidify setting. If you use this optional setting, the air conditioner will "overcool" the house by about 3-4 degrees when the humidity is higher than the dehumidify setting. So, if your thermostat is set at 80 degrees, your system may cool the house down to 76 when the humidity is high, but not when it is low. The dehumidify setting is good to use if you are a snowbird and you want to set your a.c. temp very high. But, I don't think it is normally needed and may cause your house to get too cold.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Your AC unit is a great dehumidifier. However, there are situations during the day and seasons where it does not run for long periods of time. The most obvious is when the outside temperature is below your setting. During that time, the humidity level inside is going up towards the outside level. When that happens, you feel increased warmth when the temperature has hardly changed.
Nicely stated. Unfortunately, the older premanufactured home I live in does not have a state of the art system.
Here's a clip from Top Ten Things About Air Conditioning | ashrae.org that has prompted this post.

"Modern air conditioners dehumidify as they cool; you can see that by the water that drains away, but this dehumidification is incidental to their main job of controlling temperature. They cannot independently control both temperature and humidity.

In hot, humid climates the incidental dehumidification that occurs may not always be enough to keep the indoor humidity conditions acceptable. (ASHRAE recommends roughly a 60% relative humidity maximum at 78F.) The maximum dehumidification happens not at the hot times of the year—when the air conditioner is running a lot—but at mild times of the year when the air conditioner runs very little.

Although there are some leading edge air conditioning systems that promise to independently control humidity, conventional systems may not be able to sufficiently control the problem and can cause comfort or mold problems in certain situations. Some current high-end systems have enhanced dehumidification, but when the existing system cannot sufficiently dehumidify, it may be necessary to buy a stand-alone dehumidifier. "
Old 06-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

Original poster (OP) you do realize that a 'State of the art' thermostat costs less than a dehumidifier? Far less, 120.00 for a sensi by emerson, found on amazon. It even dials changes the temp if I am 3 miles from my home, and cools it down as I appoach home. I have not seen any weather get where a temp greater than 84 has a humidity of over 60. I have been watching 8 months.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Original poster (OP) you do realize that a 'State of the art' thermostat costs less than a dehumidifier?
So, you are saying that if I replace my Robertshaw thermostat (on a wall in the house), that controls my Bryant, (exterior unit), that I can get enhanced performance and control?

GREAT STUFF THANX

Also curious as to why all the weather websites give a much higher humidity reading. 88% now.

The Villages Current Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 32159
Old 06-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage

If you want better humidity control you need a system such as the Carrier Infinity. I had this in my previous home. It features a 2-speed compressor and variable speed air handler. Essentially, it will ramp down the compressor speed and reduces the air handler fan speed so that air is in contact with the coil for a longer period of time and more moisture can be removed. It was very effective at maintaining the humidity set point on less than hot days. The Carrier systems that are installed by the developer do not have a variable speed air handler so humidity control is difficult. The best it can do is cool below the temperature set point in an attempt to increase the run time so as to remove more moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnlars View Post

With the availability of advanced electronics, the manufacturers are offering advanced comfort systems. These are basically like Toymeister indicated. They bring the humidity level into the control arena. Most of this is handled with advanced theromostat electronics, basically specific computers. Fundamentally, when the humidity goes up, it will run the system to reduce it. Usually that will reduce the temperature below your desired setting. To lesson this the manufacture is adding "stages" to the system. As with everything, these are higher priced units today. I find that they work very good and will likely become more mainstream systems. This should reduce the cost somewhat. The cost savings to the owner comes from living in a higher temperature humidity controlled environment. Most of the complexity is in the electronics which is very reliable today, so it could actually extend the HVAC hardware life.

Last edited by biker1; 06-04-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
So, you are saying that if I replace my Robertshaw thermostat (on a wall in the house), that controls my Bryant, (exterior unit), that I can get enhanced performance and control?

GREAT STUFF THANX

Also curious as to why all the weather websites give a much higher humidity reading. 88% now.

The Villages Current Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 32159
Yes. Any smart thermostat will out perform a dumb thermostat. I have the ability to see each temp change for six months. program it, get alerts if temp or humidity exceeds limits that I set. I can set up if this than that rules like if The window is open The a.c. Shuts off, that is important if you rent your home. The thermostat is one important part of my 'smart home' The thermostat only tells me the humidity in the home but that is all that I care about.

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-04-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Guess I need to research thermostats.

Any ideas on web reported humidity vs reported here in the Villages by numerous posters?

MUCHO GRACIAS!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran member

I use a dehumidifier because of severe allergies. I keep it set at 45% humidity because dust mites, flea eggs... don't survive in low humidity.
My allergies have been much better. BTW, I had NO allergies before moving here. Since getting a dehumifier, I haven't had to use my rescue inhaler once.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 06-04-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Guess I need to research thermostats.

Any ideas on web reported humidity vs reported here in the Villages by numerous posters?

MUCHO GRACIAS!
I have a smart irrigation controller also, it talks to the weather station. It happens to be the Villages fire station accross from Eisenhower Rec center. Given that I trust the weather for wildwood as accurate and represents an accurate view of my Collier home.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Platinum member

Wildwood this moment is 81% humidity.
Closed Thread

Tags
dehumidifier, air, combat, conditioner, technique

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.