Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Gold member

Can't find good salads anymore unless you like your potatoes with Mayo only
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
when we want good potato or macaroni salad I make it and it is always worth it.
I agree. I never have found any I like. I have an easy recipe. Red potatoes, cook, cool and chop. Take tbsp djon mustard and whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil in bowl. Pour over warm potatoes. Put in about 1/2 cup hellmans. Salt, pepper, chopped green onion and crisp bacon. Mix it in. Best served warm but good any way. You can also chop a little dill in it. Add or take away mayo based on taste. If it is too dry add some more olive oil.

People rave about this potato salad.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I agree. I never have found any I like. I have an easy recipe. Red potatoes, cook, cool and chop. Take tbsp djon mustard and whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil in bowl. Pour over warm potatoes. Put in about 1/2 cup hellmans. Salt, pepper, chopped green onion and crisp bacon. Mix it in. Best served warm but good any way. You can also chop a little dill in it. Add or take away mayo based on taste. If it is too dry add some more olive oil.

Sounds yummy and I want to try. How many potatoes or pounds would you recommend? Thanks for posting.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
Sounds yummy and I want to try. How many potatoes or pounds would you recommend? Thanks for posting.
That recipe is for about 15 small red potatoes, skins on. These potatoes you can cut into about four small pieces. It's a dish that I make without a recipe. Like many of my recipes I have them in my head. You can adjust the mayo and olive oil to your liking but if it seems dry I would add more olive oil. It's not a mayonaise infused potato salad. Just a 1/2 cup or so of mayo. Let me know how it turns out.

When cooking the potatoes take them off the stove before they start falling apart as they keep on cooking and you don't want them to be overdone. I rinse them with cold water for a few minutes then let them air dry for a few minutes then cut them up. They will still be warm inside. I like this salad fresh made room temp or warmer, so I make it right before I will eat it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post

Sounds wonderful! I'll try it! Thank you. Guess I got too used to really good deli salads in NYC.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have decided it isn't that The food is better back home for many posters, it is the food and taste you are used to. If you give the local restaurants a try, an honest try, you might find you like it. Beats the heck out of always being disappointed.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I have decided it isn't that The food is better back home for many posters, it is the food and taste you are used to. If you give the local restaurants a try, an honest try, you might find you like it. Beats the heck out of always being disappointed.

I so agree.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Eternal Member

I think most restaurants have a good potato salad, but I think OP was wanting to buy some for home. Buying it from a restaurant would be expensive. I think that's why OP was looking for a deli.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Lots-o-luck. This is not exactly the land of good eatin'.
So true. I continue to be disappointed and I AM giving them a first, second and third try.
Closed Thread

Tags
deli, salads, on-site, stuff, cared, made, winndixie, publix, good, macaroni, potato, worth, recommend, supermarkets, people, making

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.