Denham vs Dabney vs Moultrie

Old 05-02-2024, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,152 Times in 576 Posts
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Dust bowl has existed since the dawn of TV, or in any new community being built. In 2010 Pennacamp new house with sand and dirt for over a year. I thought the new house didn’t get builder cleaned. They returned, one week later had the same sand and dirt sifting thru the screens. So not the cleaner

2012 Fernandina our house for 14 months was the same dirt air.

2022, dirt bowl for only a few months since we were close to the last build house.

So in 12 years developers haven’t found a way to curb air, with sand and dirt particles. Some days you can actually watch the dirt moving across the area, for miles
True, if the top soil is exposed, it blows.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-02-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
Looking at new homes. It appears that the Denham/Dabney is kind of bare as far as restaurants, golf, or any shopping? It looks like one maybe two pools for the whole area? How far to areas where you can get a beverage or dinner? Seems like a social desert.

Please help.
My husband and I just moved from Tallahassee so this was easy for us, but we came down 4 weekends and rented a golf cart and tooled around looking at everything to see what we most enjoyed and how easy it was to get there. Then we gave a list to our realtor of our top 9 villages and top 4 models (excluding our fave one that wasn't being built in the areas we loved) and told her we'd look at any combinations that had at least a village or home towards the top of our lists. We wanted location over home and wanted to move asap (day after we retired!) we were so anxious to get here. Anyway, I recommend doing something along those lines if it's feasible for you so you get a real feel for what you like since everyone's different........ you say tomato, I say Bloody Mary! 😁
Old 05-02-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
If you live in Lake Denham or Dabney, the nearest restaurant is at Sawgrass. There is a food court and a Scottish pub. The only golf is a pitch and putt.

If you live in Moultrie, you will be about five minutes from Eastport which will be the new town square. There are no restaurants in Eastport now but there will be a number of them in the next year or so. You will also be near Middleton where there will also be restaurants. And there are supposed to be several championship courses, at least four executive courses, and a pitch and putt course. There will also be a driving range.

I don't think the Villages plans on putting any additional amenities in Denham or Dabney. They appear to be focused on Eastport.
Don’t bet on ANY new restaurants and shops being available in the next year! I would give it at least 5 years. It’s taken Brownwood 10 years to be where it’s at today. And Magnolia Plaza was about 5 or more years before Publix opened.
If you want new, that’s where you need to be. But don’t expect amenities in the areas for years.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:05 AM
Default 7 is more than "several"

The Villages has announced plans for one championship course and four executive courses (named)....but none of them are scheduled for opening dates.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,721 Times in 981 Posts

It's not just about how long it takes to drive a cart from A to B, it's also about the quality of that drive. Take the cart ride from Sawgrass to Edna's, and from Sea Breeze to Lake Sumter, and from wherever you are considering to the most likely destinations you will be having and see, and feel and smell what you most enjoy.

I love where I am. I really enjoy the rides to the places I go. It's a big part of life here in TV. Make a small investment of your time to get the feel of a few different areas before you make up your mind and I think you'll be well rewarded for the effort.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Dust bowl has existed since the dawn of TV, or in any new community being built. In 2010 Pennacamp new house with sand and dirt for over a year. I thought the new house didn’t get builder cleaned. They returned, one week later had the same sand and dirt sifting thru the screens. So not the cleaner

2012 Fernandina our house for 14 months was the same dirt air.

2022, dirt bowl for only a few months since we were close to the last build house.

So in 12 years developers haven’t found a way to curb air, with sand and dirt particles. Some days you can actually watch the dirt moving across the area, for miles
Not a Villages specific issue. Such is most construction sites....except the ones that have a fleet of water trucks spraying down problem areas. When they finally max out all available land for development, infrastructure etc (not complaining)....then the dust will settle. By then, we'll all be dust as well!
Old 05-02-2024, 09:14 AM

We have a home in Lake Denham. I will admit a few more amenities would have been nice (i.e. restaurants, a gas station etc), but where it lacks in these areas it more than makes up for it in bike and walking trails. But most importantly to us was bring surrounded by neighbors that were all "new" to the area, which we felt would help in making new friends to enjoy the area with. We have not been disappointed yet. But if golf is your primary source of entertainment, looking elsewhere would be recommended. Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@jedward.com View Post
Remember the further north you purchase you may have to deal with buying a new roof, windows, HVAC and appliances.
Many of which have already been recently replaced...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-02-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
We are 20 minutes to Eastport by cart from Lake Denham. We are 10 minutes to Sawgrass. 30 minutes to Brownwood. We have tons of walking/bike trails. Area across 470 from Dabney is likely to be commercial but I don’t think we will have a cart path across 470. We do lack neighborhood pools. Only Dabney. But we have Franklin, Homestead, and Ezell rec centers pretty close.
Just curious, where do you go to get a quart of milk?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
The Villages has announced plans for one championship course and four executive courses (named)....but none of them are scheduled for opening dates.
Not even close to being correct...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-02-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
I live in Lake Denham, we have 4 options we use for quickie things like bread or milk (or beer).

The 2 stores at the intersection of 27 and 470 is 4 miles, 9 minutes. (This is the one I tend to use most as there are several other businesses in the area and I try to do multiple things in a single trip, the Ace here knows me by name....)
The Publix on 44 is 8 miles 17 minutes.
The Publix at Warm Springs is 7 miles 15 minutes (if I go by cart or bike this is the one I choose but I don't like to shop on a bike or cart).
Neighborhood Market on 466a is 10 miles 21 minutes (This is my preference but I find I don't go north very often unless its just out messing around).

There is a gas station at the intersection of 33 and 470 that is only a few minutes away but I avoid it, pretty sketchy at times.

Last edited by LeRoySmith; 05-02-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:25 PM
Default Golfers Should Purchase Pre-Owned Homes in North & Central Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
Looking at new homes. It appears that the Denham/Dabney is kind of bare as far as restaurants, golf, or any shopping? It looks like one maybe two pools for the whole area? How far to areas where you can get a beverage or dinner? Seems like a social desert.

Please help.
Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM
Smile 3 miles down left on 470

3 miles left on 470 to Rt. 27 there are several restaurants, a Winn Dixie and a Publix. (My favorites are the Somkehouse and the Seafood restaurants.) There's also an ACE hardware, Dollar general, a car wash, and a Dollar General. Several fast foods and on and on. You're less than a mile to the turnpike. I like going to Costco- about a 25 minute drive. That's plenty of retail for me.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
Answered above. No shortage of places to buy milk and any other grocery, beer, wine, anything really. I’m also betting the small vacant lot area at the end of Dabney where Chandler meets 470 will be a gas station. Already a cart path leading into it. They may even sell milk. Wouldn’t. Want my lactose levels to get too low.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Answered above. No shortage of places to buy milk and any other grocery, beer, wine, anything really. I’m also betting the small vacant lot area at the end of Dabney where Chandler meets 470 will be a gas station. Already a cart path leading into it. They may even sell milk. Wouldn’t. Want my lactose levels to get too low.
Im guessing the 'ameneties' that have been mentioned here escaped the glossy sales brochures at the printing deadline!

Tags
denham, area, areas, beverage, dinner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.