Denham vs Dabney vs Moultrie

Old 05-01-2024, 06:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I spoke to one of the rangers the other day. He said that the executive by the bridge will have lots of water!! It may be cheaper to play the championship courses!
Take a drive down, there is water everywhere, the championship has a fair amount, but the pitch & putt was probably a wise move. I don’t think they could have put anything else there, with all the water and looks to be couple of almost island greens.

It always is interesting to watch a new course from dirt to green, give you pause to think how long that process takes from paper, to dirt, to first round. Both my boys hit long, one straight one not so much, and plan is to take dozen extra first time they play south of the turnpike, when they saw all the water.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,742 Times in 967 Posts

I have several friends who re-located to that area and are very happy with their choice. "Close to things" is not important to everyone. "Out of the way" means less traffic and using your car more than a golf cart. If shopping, dining out, and golf will be a frequent activity for you, then I would consider other areas of TV. However, the areas that you mention have everything else plus some things that other areas do not offer. It's all about individual needs and wants. Best of luck. It's hard to make a bad choice.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:42 AM

I live in Lake Denham. I like the quiet compared to when I lived close to Sawgrass previously. The closest restaurants and shopping is in Lake Harris Square, which is 2 miles from the easternmost Dabney entry at the junction of 27 and 470. There's quite a few restaurants there. There's a Publix and an Aldi. To the north of Publix, there's an Ace hardware . The whole 27 corridor has lots of retail.

The developer should be putting in lots of retail on the other side of 470 in the next few years.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Given they completely relocated 470 via Central Parkway in Sumter County, one could imagine the possibility 470 could be rerouted/replaced in Lake County to take the dog leg out

No one anticipated Central Parkway would have GC tunnels and traffic calming features (curvres/roundabouts)..

So anything is possible for 470 over the next 5-10 years.
Good point. They are also expanding 470 in that area to 4 lanes. That should be fairly soon. They could theoretically put in a cart tunnel at that point. That would tell us a lot for the future.

There’s a post saying weare a social desert? Really? We have so much to do in Lake Denham but can’t keep up when I’m there (part time for now). The block parties are awesome. The people are awesome and all looking for social interaction. We are at boozy bingo every Monday. We have social clubs with regular events at Franklin. We may be a little out of the way but not very far from tons of restaurants and shopping. I can only guess what hat the folks that think we are isolated grew up right in big cities. It’s a different mindset. Totally an individual preference.

But I will warn you, the turnpike noise is loud at times. I assume I’ll get used to it. I lived next to Logan airport in East Boston for years and never noticed the plane noise.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,134 Times in 561 Posts
Default Eastport Too Far

Keep in mind if you are considering Dabney and Lake Denham, it will be quite a haul to get to Eastport and Brownwood by golf cart. A crossing of the turnpike at 470 for golf carts has zero possibility because there has to be an entrance and exit from 470 onto and off of the turnpike. Semi tractor trailers are permitted to use the ramps as well as regular automobiles. Commercial goods use the entrance to supply Leesburg and other areas; it isn’t just a Villages area. But, if golf cart transportation is your thing, Moultrie Creek has a lot to offer, otherwise count on a car to do most things.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 05-01-2024 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Keep in mind if you are considering Dabney and Lake Denham, it will be quite a haul to get to Eastport and Brownwood by golf cart. A crossing of the turnpike at 470 for golf carts has zero possibility because there has to be an entrance and exit from 470 onto and off of the turnpike.

Stay tuned, there are some really "creative" interchanges along the Turnpike.

The Engineers have a blank sheet to work with at 470, including the possibility of moving the location of the interchange further south.

If you look at overpasses under construction for the Turnpike Expansion south, several have pedestrian crossings and even a wide trail crossing.

Apparently they changed their mind after not permitting a pedestrian walkway across the Waterlilly Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7646.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	103937   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	103938  

Last edited by Altavia; 05-01-2024 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind if you are considering Dabney and Lake Denham, it will be quite a haul to get to Eastport and Brownwood by golf cart. A crossing of the turnpike at 470 for golf carts has zero possibility because there has to be an entrance and exit from 470 onto and off of the turnpike. Semi tractor trailers are permitted to use the ramps as well as regular automobiles. Commercial goods use the entrance to supply Leesburg and other areas; it isn’t just a Villages area. But, if golf cart transportation is your thing, Moultrie Creek has a lot to offer, otherwise count on a car to do most things.
Quite the haul? I live in Lake Denham. 15 minutes to east port in golf cart. 6 minutes to sawgrass. At least 5 pools within 6 minutes. 30 minutes to Brownwood. 2 minutes to Turnpike in car. Moultrie creek I’m sure will be nice also but will be slightly more crowded and expensive.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Default Hopes

Quote:
Stay tuned, there are some really "creative" interchanges along the Turnpike.

The Engineers have a blank sheet to work with at 470, including the possibility of moving the location of the interchange further south.

If you look at overpasses under construction for the Turnpike Expansion south, several have pedestrian crossings and even a wide trail crossing.

Apparently they changed their mind after not permitting a pedestrian walkway across the Waterlilly Bridge.
You can hope, but what possible advantage would there be except for those who want to cross there. The Developer is building a commercial space immediately next to the turnpike and 470 pocket which involves more than just Villagers shopping there. The turnpike is the easy on off for prospects other than Villagers. Tavares will decide most things I’m sure. Right now they are lockstep against traffic circles for some reason? It would be an interesting problem to work out.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-01-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
A crossing of the turnpike at 470 for golf carts has zero possibility because there has to be an entrance and exit from 470 onto and off of the turnpike.
How about a friendly wager on no cart crossing near 470?

I'd propose my 1 beer to your 6 by the end of 2027.... I wonder if either of us will live that long?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,279 Posts

Quote:
You can hope, but what possible advantage would there be except for those who want to cross there. The Developer is building a commercial space immediately next to the turnpike and 470 pocket which involves more than just Villagers shopping there. The turnpike is the easy on off for prospects other than Villagers. Tavares will decide most things I’m sure. Right now they are lockstep against traffic circles for some reason? It would be an interesting problem to work out.
I'm not "hoping", just identifying possibilities, especially when the state is throwing billions at roads near a developer who is very well connected economically and politically.

Not many imagined tunnels under 470 but the went and relocated the entire road.

There is a traffic circle in Tavares right in front of the Lake County Administration building so I'm not sure where that rumor comes from. They are probably drooling at the future tax review coming their way ;-)

But all that is at least 5-10 years in the future, nothing is for sure until permits are approved.

Last edited by Altavia; 05-01-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Given they completely relocated 470 via Central Parkway in Sumter County, one could imagine the possibility 470 could be rerouted/replaced in Lake County to take the dog leg out

No one anticipated Central Parkway would have GC tunnels and traffic calming features (curvres/roundabouts)..

So anything is possible for 470 over the next 5-10 years.
Do you really want to wait 10 years to see what might happen?
Make a list of what amenities and features are important to you.
Then choose your residential location. If it’s on a map published by the Villages, then it will probably happen.
If it’s not even mapped out don’t count on it.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
Looking at new homes. It appears that the Denham/Dabney is kind of bare as far as restaurants, golf, or any shopping? It looks like one maybe two pools for the whole area? How far to areas where you can get a beverage or dinner? Seems like a social desert.

Please help.
There are no restaurants, no doctors, no shopping in these areas.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:24 AM
Platinum member
Default By Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
There are no restaurants, no doctors, no shopping in these areas.
There are by car, you just don’t have the golf cart lifestyle per say.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The retail establishments come when there are enough people to support them. Brownwood is over 10 years old and infrastructure still being built.

Before buying that way would spend a lot of time seeing what is there and if it will be ok with you to travel a distance for stores and restaurants.
I absolutely agree. It will come. They built it. Just wait and see and someday soon the writer will be explaining this to Newbies. Yup.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
How about a friendly wager on no cart crossing near 470?

I'd propose my 1 beer to your 6 by the end of 2027.... I wonder if either of us will live that long?
Count me in. I’m only 54. I will live long enough (knock on wood) to collect all beers.

Tags
denham, area, areas, beverage, dinner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.