Dermatologist: Specific Reason for Asking

Old 01-16-2024, 12:02 PM
Default Dermatologist: Specific Reason for Asking

Moved here from up North. Go to get skin checks here every 6 months. Both times I left with a face full of band-aids due to multiple biopsies. I see most other patients walking out of the place covered with band-aids.

Back home I also did 6 month skin checks. Had One biopsy maybe once per year.

Anyone here have frequent lesions needing to be burned off, by a dermatologist they Love, who isn't scalpel happy?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,746 Times in 5,255 Posts

Dr. Casper at Alliant Dermatology.

He uses liquid nitrogen for most lesions, except when they look pre-cancerous.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Anyone here have frequent lesions needing to be burned off, by a dermatologist they Love
Just before we moved here in May 2016, our dermatologist in Virginia told me I had a basil cell skin cancer on the top of my head.

When we got here, I went to Village Dermatology and Dr. Tran and his staff removed the cancerous growth. I was very pleased with the medical care they provided and my wife and I have been going to them ever since.

On each visit, they spray a few spots and take 4 or 5 biopsies, which I don't mind at all. They once found a melanoma on my wife's back, but it was tiny and they removed it.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Moved here from up North. Go to get skin checks here every 6 months. Both times I left with a face full of band-aids due to multiple biopsies. I see most other patients walking out of the place covered with band-aids.

Back home I also did 6 month skin checks. Had One biopsy maybe once per year.

Anyone here have frequent lesions needing to be burned off, by a dermatologist they Love, who isn't scalpel happy?

Thanks!
I use Dr Johnny Gurgen - large office in Leesburg across from Social Secuity and a smaller office on Rolling Acres across from HD. They coordinated with my northern dermatologist when I needed Mohs surgery. You will not see him advertising in the local papers.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I use Dr Johnny Gurgen - large office in Leesburg across from Social Secuity and a smaller office on Rolling Acres across from HD. They coordinated with my northern dermatologist when I needed Mohs surgery. You will not see him advertising in the local papers.
I use his offices too, but I'm considering switching. Each time I go, they find four "suspicious" things to biopsy. Exactly four. And all of them have been there for many years. Not sure why they couldn't biopsy all of them at once, or why they didn't notice the other ones. Each time, exactly one has been cancerous. Two melanomas, one carcinoma. They found a couple that were further "suspicious" that they wanted to remove, but I told them if they're not cancer, they can just sit there for awhile. The last thing I need in this stage of my life is to be constantly recovering from skin surgeries.

I hadn't been able to go to the pool even once all summer, because as soon as one of the incisions was healed well enough for me to go swimming, they needed to remove another one. And that whole next week I spent nearly sleepless since one was on my leg, one was on my back, so I had to basically find a spot and not move at all, all night, or risk pulling a stitch. I gained almost 10 pounds in the last 1.5 years because I've had big huge clumps of skin removed from my body with stitches and healing time needed, all on my lower torso - making it very difficult to move, and exercise wasn't allowed.

I don't need that kind of headache in my life so if it's not actually cancerous, or growing on something important (like my kidney), then the lump can damned well stay where it is.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 01-19-2024 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I use his offices too, but I'm considering switching. Each time I go, they find four "suspicious" things to biopsy. Exactly four. And all of them have been there for many years. Not sure why they couldn't biopsy all of them at once, or why they didn't notice the other ones. Each time, exactly one has been cancerous. Two melanomas, one carcinoma. They found a couple that were further "suspicious" that they wanted to remove, but I told them if they're not cancer, they can just sit there for awhile. The last thing I need in this stage of my life is to be constantly recovering from skin surgeries.

I hadn't been able to go to the pool even once all summer, because as soon as one of the incisions was healed well enough for me to go swimming, they needed to remove another one. And that whole next week I spent nearly sleepless since one was on my leg, one was on my back, so I had to basically find a spot and not move at all, all night, or risk pulling a stitch. I gained almost 10 pounds in the last 1.5 years because I've had big huge clumps of skin removed from my body with stitches and healing time needed, all on my lower torso - making it very difficult to move, and exercise wasn't allowed.

I don't need that kind of headache in my life so if it's not actually cancerous, or growing on something important (like my kidney), then the lump can damned well stay where it is.

I concur, I left that practice a long time ago. His brother spraying liquid nitrogen into my ear was the final turning point for me. Just MHO.

Tags
band-aids, checks, skin, dermatologist, biopsy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.