Design Meeting

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Default Design Meeting

For anyone who has been to a design meeting, does the Villages design team provide a list of items that can be changed from the standard features?

Is there any way to prepare for the design meeting? Do all the decisions have to be made at the design meeting or can we leave the meeting and get back to the design team with decisions at a later date?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Make sure you get more than one towel rack in the bathrooms..
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by poromo View Post
For anyone who has been to a design meeting, does the Villages design team provide a list of items that can be changed from the standard features?

Is there any way to prepare for the design meeting? Do all the decisions have to be made at the design meeting or can we leave the meeting and get back to the design team with decisions at a later date?
yes they have a standard "estimate list", but you can request a lot more.

You need to finalize at the meeting but it may be more than one day, at the conclusion you put down 20%, and you're in build mode.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Just starting my meeting tomorrow. But I will be final before I leave TV. I believe you cannot make changes after your 20% down and the contracts are signed. I have made a spreadsheet of my priorities. Everything I want, and those things I can remove... Also remember that any upgrades you do now will be included in your property tax base!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Sage

You can make changes after you sign and put he 20% down but each time you make changes, it comes with a $250 change fee. That means if you change one thing or ten things, if you do them all at the same time, it is $250...unless that went up too
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM

We were also told that there would be a $250 charge for changes. We went several days early and made lots of decisions by going to open houses in advance. Our sales rep also took us through all the models on Journey to help us get a feel for the selections available and our preferences. We met with our designer the first time in an Iris model (our model choice) and discussed all the things we thought we wanted. She then took us room to room pointing out what was standard and we discussed changes, additions, etc. On the second day she had a cost estimate for us. This let us know where we stood with our budget and we were pleasantly pleased that we could include several upgrades and stay within our budget. We were able to get an upgraded granite that we loved as well as get both the walk-in shower and garden tub in the master bath.

Their system doesn't make it easy for them to give you prices for changes and upgrades, but as we made changes she would run it again and let us know where we stood. We opted out of the dishwasher and refrigerator and have already gone to Sears and ordered them for delivery as soon as we close.

We are extremely anxious to see the final product, but have lots to keep us busy until then.

Probably told you more than you needed to know, but I know how it was for me before our meeting. Hope this info helps. Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Gold member

Oh you didn't say too much at all! I savored every word you said. We are also building an Iris. May I ask what changes you made?

We are putting our house on the Mkt in a couple of days. Only after it sells can we make our design reservation.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Sent you a PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM

I have my design meeting is Sept 22 would like What to do before our meeting
Thanks for the help

QUOTE=poromo;551819]For anyone who has been to a design meeting, does the Villages design team provide a list of items that can be changed from the standard features?

Is there any way to prepare for the design meeting? Do all the decisions have to be made at the design meeting or can we leave the meeting and get back to the design team with decisions at a later date?[/QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Hi, We are also building an Iris and have an appointment Sept. 26th. Curios on what changes you made also. Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poromo View Post

Since you have selected your model I would start to think about where you will place your furniture. Pay attention to the lights. Maybe you will need a floor outlet or and extra outlet on the wall. Next think about how you will do your daily chores. Where will you fold clothes, iron, read, watch TV etc. and if you need any modifications. Go to the model homes and close the bathroom and bedroom doors. Is the light OK in the day or do you what to add a window or skylight. What window treatments are you going to do? How are you going to clean the home - carpet or tile, counter tops etc. Where are you going to part your electric golf card and is there an outlet there? Will you have one or two cars and which car will be in the drive way or which side of the garage. Don't forget storage space and also insulation. Walk around your current home and see what you might want to change. Make up a list of all of your questions and changes, probably by room. Now you are ready to have the designer show you the standard options and will have probably though enough about the house you will be able to make good decisions on the spot.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Don't forget storage space and also insulation. Walk around your current home and see what you might want to change. Make up a list of all of your questions and changes, probably by room. Now you are ready to have the designer show you the standard options and will have probably though enough about the house you will be able to make good decisions on the spot.
You mentioned "Insulation". Are their choices / options on insulation like sprayed, spray & bat, bat, or blown in with different R values ???
Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Today was the first day of my design meeting. It went very well, and my designer was very helpful in making some suggestions and going through each point on my spreadsheet. We accomplished a lot! If you are building a designer, I feel there are ample electrical outlets in each of the rooms. A floor outlet is standard, and there is cable for each major room (bedrooms,living area, lanai, kitchen). Also phone jacks. Two fans included on the lanai for the Lantana. Lighting fixtures for the dining area, nook and foyer. I elected to extend and bump and stretch as much as possible now while in build mode. I chose my granite from the granite yard, picked interior and exterior colors, tile, wood, etc. Your design agent will go over with you what is base and what is extra. There were many inclusions that I was not expecting as well. I did add more outlets to the bathrooms and laundry room. I also added a wing wall to the front entry.
A-4: the insulation is bat R-30. And there are hurricane straps for the roof. Also a combo of 2X4 and 2x6 studs, both wood and steel. Guess that's it for now!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be

Last edited by hotrodgirl; 09-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Where In Sanibel are you building ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
Hi, We are also building an Iris and have an appointment Sept. 26th. Curios on what changes you made also. Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.