Designer - what can I exclude?

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Default Designer - what can I exclude?

We're waiting for our dream lot and hope to be buying before fall. I've been reading TOTV for some time and I understand that I can build a home without appliances except for the microwave that needs to be vented before a occupancy permit will be issued. What else can I "not" get from TV? I'd love to get no floor at all and get it all after market. Same with light fixtures and ceiling fans, we'd rather buy them from a good quality lighting store when we move in. Can I get the home without any countertops? Roughed in plumping and I'll get the spigots/faucets myself? I'm kinda a do-it-yourself guy and would like to have a home with my own signature on it. We plan on a pool also but that will definitely be after we close on the house. Suggestions?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Sage

closed on new lantana 4/1.
without:
appliances incl mwave
ceiling fixtures
summer kitchen, plumbed but not built
don't know bout the rest, and answers change all the time to what's allowed.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Gold member

You will be required to take the standard flooring at minimum. Has to do with certificate of occupancy issued by the county.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Sage

They can cap some lighting fixtures but have to put something in the bathrooms so you just get the least expensive and take out. Get the linoleum and take up. If it is a designer, you can get the lowest grade carpet and pull up. Have to have the faucets but get the least expensive and take out. Same goes for the countertops. Your design person can tell you what you must take.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Just closed on Monday. You'd be surprised what they will let you do....just ask! We changed a lot of things...moved a wall, changed a layout of kitchen etc. My husband used to be in the flooring business but their prices for flooring & granite were actually quite competitive. We opted out of all fans white only with Villages)& lighting fixtures. The bathroom ones we needed to get with them weren't bad. If u want to change door from standard go to Perry's Entrypoint Doors & they will put in a beautiful glass door after market. If u want a pool do it at build with T & D... We were very satisfied & they were very competitive
Old 07-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceis View Post
Just closed on Monday. You'd be surprised what they will let you do....just ask! We changed a lot of things...moved a wall, changed a layout of kitchen etc. My husband used to be in the flooring business but their prices for flooring & granite were actually quite competitive. We opted out of all fans white only with Villages)& lighting fixtures. The bathroom ones we needed to get with them weren't bad. If u want to change door from standard go to Perry's Entrypoint Doors & they will put in a beautiful glass door after market. If u want a pool do it at build with T & D... We were very satisfied & they were very competitive
We closed in April and we were able to change the front elevation of our Sanibel, replace windows with sliders, arch interior openings, closed using vinyl floors, laminated counters, & no appliances. We used Perry's for our front door and other outside contractors for the floors, counters, and appliances. Our agent, Angie Stokes, guided us through the what you can and can't do as well as the costs or reduced costs by making the changes or proposed changes we did. The design people were also a great help in "making" our dream home a reality. They really are a talented group and want to do every reasonable thing to make your home building experience a pleasant one..
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 AM

thank you all for your suggestions
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Don't wait too long to pick your dream lot. I have had 5 sales people tell me that by the end of the year they think The Villages may no longer sell Designer lots. All Designers will be specs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.