Did everyone downsize to one car???

Old 05-07-2024, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,119 Times in 310 Posts

We sold off a vintage Harley, a motorhome, and its Smart car toad when we moved here. We kept our two primary vehicles, including my Ranger pickup because it fits in the garage, and bought a house with a golf-cart garage. I don't know how we would have gotten by with just a car and a cart, but most people do it. In fact, we miss the motorhome so much we've been looking for a travel trailer the Sorento could pull. And every time I hear a Harley, I wind up browsing for a project bike, although I have no idea where I'd put it (and my wife would kill me if I bought one).

I think the "developer" missed a trick when they didn't include a hobby-garage condo in every village.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,220 Times in 771 Posts

One car and one cart. Ain't downsizing great !
Old 05-07-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

We have two cars, two golf carts. No garage, one carport. We keep my clunker in the driveway since I don't care if the sun eats the enamel off the sheet metal. The carts fit neatly under the carport sideways, and the truck slides nicely under the end of the carport just fine. He has family north of Florida, I have family in south Florida. Plus, sometimes it rains and I'd hate to need to buy toilet paper during thunderstorm season. The car is a convenience, and a necessity when I'm visiting family. The truck is a convenience and a necessity when spouse needs to take lawn equipment to friends who live in another village and need a hand with the shrubs.

But we use the golf carts for our daily mode of transportation, plus he golfs and I don't. So we need two golf carts.

It all works out fine for us. If spouse gave up the truck I'd probably be okay trading it and my car in for an SUV, so the equipment would still fit in the back, and I could still use it for things that aren't golf cart accessible.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Want and need are two different things, we all had to downsize here to some extent
Old 05-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Do your and your wife's hobbies take you in different directions? My husband's SCORE volunteer work is now mostly by phone and email. It used to be face-to-face meetings at rec centers & library, and we needed two cars. Now we are down to one. We don't play golf, but we both play pickleball. Mostly we socialize together. My volunteer work + exercising the dogs takes me out in the car. So far we've made it work with few hassles.

My husband is a homebody, which leaves the car greatly free for me. If you socialize a lot, and/or in different circles, you'll need two cars, or one car and a golf cart.
Or as I like to say....the secret to a good relationship is separation!
Old 05-07-2024, 10:41 AM

We're snowbirds for now, but we've been debating this as well.
We have 2 cars and a golf cart. But we just spent 6 months at our home in TV and only had the one car and the cart, it seemed to work fine for us.

We plan on becoming full timers in about a year, so we're trying to decide if having 2 cars there is worth the added expense. We're leaning towards going with one car and the cart.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
You might USE them all down here, but I doubt you would NEED them all. Take the opportunity to simplify your life. Once you experience the fun of using a golf cart as a major part of your transport needs you'll probably decide on just a medium-sized SUV to fill in the gaps.
Personally, for me, not fun to ride around in a golf cart. No AC, bumpy slow ride, longer times, low storage space etc On plus side parking is easier
Old 05-07-2024, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

We use one car and one cart. I have found adding extra storage to our 2+2 cart has really changed things. We added a setup where we have 4 attached storage bins (one is insulated) that sit on our rear facing seat when it's not in use. Makes grocery shopping very easy.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:27 AM

I think a Miata or Fiat 124 spider might be a good 2nd car. Small and fun

Last edited by LeRoySmith; 05-07-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,521 Times in 2,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We're snowbirds for now, but we've been debating this as well.
We have 2 cars and a golf cart. But we just spent 6 months at our home in TV and only had the one car and the cart, it seemed to work fine for us.

We plan on becoming full timers in about a year, so we're trying to decide if having 2 cars there is worth the added expense. We're leaning towards going with one car and the cart.
We sold the second car and bought a second cart: one car and two carts for us.
  • - The second cart is less expensive to operate
  • - We were often debating who would drive the only cart
  • - In the last year we have never both needed a car at the same time
  • - The money we have saved on car insurance will pay for a rental if we ever have a need for a second car

It has worked well for us for the past year.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-07-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorg View Post
We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan.
Is it still a pleasure to get into and out of your low-slung Corvette? Maybe a good one to shift.

And a truck? Unless you plan to run a construction company here I'd sell that one, too.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)?
Eight years ago we came here with two cars and we have two cars now. We do not like golf carts.

Every time I drive on a road like Meggison or Pinellas that has a golf cart lane very close to the lane with cars, I am very glad I am in a car.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-07-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote:
My wife and I have our lifestyle visit starting his week. We noticed most houses have only a 2-car garage. We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all. So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)? Did everyone downsize all of their cars, too, in order to move into TV? Or are there some alternatives to reasonably priced storage or extra parking areas? Any good suggestions are appreciated.
Quit few have extended two car garage and golf cart garage. Just got to look around but not in sardine neighborhoods.

Just park them in drive way and out in street like most do cause they can’t get car and in garage. Some cases can’t even get golf cart in garage dut all junk they brought with them There are storages facilities all around villages. Need and want two different things, you won’t need all them. Vehicle and cart/ carts. Most here put more miles on golf cart than they do their vehicle’s.
But, you’ve got to have them you can build custom home with lots of garage space, there few around if got the bucks and time to wait for build?

Horse farm lots off CR42 4 plus acres you can build what ever you want there. They have their own rules.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-07-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
One car, 2 golf carts works for us.
Same here.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We sold the second car and bought a second cart: one car and two carts for us.
  • - The second cart is less expensive to operate
  • - We were often debating who would drive the only cart
  • - In the last year we have never both needed a car at the same time
  • - The money we have saved on car insurance will pay for a rental if we ever have a need for a second car

It has worked well for us for the past year.
Totally agree with the above. In our situation, it's an extended-cab pickup truck and a little subcompact tin can. He can't move equipment in the tin can, and I am not comfortable driving the pick-up - pretty much anywhere. Looking forward to the day when we can have just one smallish car, or a SMALL pickup truck.

Tags
move, cars, garage, downsize, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.