Did everyone downsize to one car???

Old 05-10-2024, 10:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Sketchy. But carts go (arbitrarily) 20 mph and I did install seat belts on our cart, so the risks are more manageable. There is nothing that tightens the ol' sphincter muscle than being on a bike and having a car driven by an old person scarcely able to see over the steering wheel trying to cut in front of you because she missed her exit.
Thanks for the reply....and the mental image!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawthorg View Post
My wife and I have our lifestyle visit starting his week. We noticed most houses have only a 2-car garage. We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all. So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)? Did everyone downsize all of their cars, too, in order to move into TV? Or are there some alternatives to reasonably priced storage or extra parking areas? Any good suggestions are appreciated.
They are building new storage facility on Rt 25 which is just past the historical area of the Villages, which you have to take 441/27 to Griffin Road, then turn Left on County Rd 25 go approximately 2 miles and look for an entrance on your left to all the different sized storage sheds, by the way it is my understanding some are air cooled sheds of garages.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:11 AM
Chuck1674
Default Getting rid of toys will make me old.

Moving in this summer with two cars, two motorcycles, two ebikes, two kayaks and one golf car. Unfortunately, sold the boat, and will sell my enclosed trailer after we finish moving. We have a 2.5 car garage. One car will have to sit in the driveway. I would be willing to find a property and put up a pole barn or metal garage. Maybe just outside of the villages. Maybe six or ten units and rent out cheap, not to make money but just cover expenses. Any suggestions. TIA. Sure would like another boat or maybe a jetski. I need to attract the grandkids. Cheers
Old 05-28-2024, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,402 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1674 View Post
Moving in this summer with two cars, two motorcycles, two ebikes, two kayaks and one golf car. Unfortunately, sold the boat, and will sell my enclosed trailer after we finish moving. We have a 2.5 car garage. One car will have to sit in the driveway. I would be willing to find a property and put up a pole barn or metal garage. Maybe just outside of the villages. Maybe six or ten units and rent out cheap, not to make money but just cover expenses. Any suggestions. TIA. Sure would like another boat or maybe a jetski. I need to attract the grandkids. Cheers
Good luck with finding a plot of ground anywhere near the villages for a decent price, there are several existing storage facilities that have outdoor, covered, enclosed and A/C storage so one of these may be a short-term alternative. This would give you some time to find a plot of land. Also, with current building codes not sure if you would be able to do a "pole barn" type structure, most of what I see going up is concrete block or concrete panels. You might get lucky and find an existing structure that could work.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,119 Times in 310 Posts

Odd that nobody mentioned "Atomic", those little electric cars that look like a smart car and have A/C , but can go on either the street or the golf course. We have an 2-1/2 garage with my wife's SUV for traveling, my Ranger pickup, and a golfcart that mostly just gets used for golf and picking up the mail. If we were forced to get by with just a car and a golf cart, I think the cart would be "Atomic".
Old 05-29-2024, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

We just went down to 1 car in 2022. Also have 1 golf cart.
During Covid we found we don’t need 2 cars.
Our Son was the happy recipient of one of our SUVs.
Mileage was only 63,000 miles.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:51 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default cars

we have an suv, 1 toy car (which we don't use a lot), and 2 golf carts.

Be sure to have at least a 2 car garage, and a deep golf cart so you can park both carts in there behind each other.

we drive the carts more than the cars
Old 05-30-2024, 03:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
My wife and I have our lifestyle visit starting his week. We noticed most houses have only a 2-car garage. We have several cars, including a corvette, SUV, truck, and commuter sedan. We use them all. So how do we move to TV and not have to buy a 5-car garage (I don't think those even exist)? Did everyone downsize all of their cars, too, in order to move into TV? Or are there some alternatives to reasonably priced storage or extra parking areas? Any good suggestions are appreciated.
I don’t think most people ever had 5 cars to begin with. The only suggestions would be get rid of 3 cars or put them in storage.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Odd that nobody mentioned "Atomic", those little electric cars that look like a smart car and have A/C , but can go on either the street or the golf course. We have an 2-1/2 garage with my wife's SUV for traveling, my Ranger pickup, and a golfcart that mostly just gets used for golf and picking up the mail. If we were forced to get by with just a car and a golf cart, I think the cart would be "Atomic".
No thanks. They have absolutely no appeal to us.

To answer OP’s question, we came here with one vehicle. I flew back home to drive her vehicle down here. It basically sat outside in the driveway unused for two months before we had to decide to insure and register it in FL.

Meanwhile we bought our cart and use that for a lot of travel in TV.

Just sold the second vehicle last week.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
‘68 Camaro....that’s a keeper. Don’t get rid of it
That's why I'm trying to understand the various options around the Villages. I can't be the only guy that has a classic muscle car they like to tinker with.
Old 06-01-2024, 02:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
That's why I'm trying to understand the various options around the Villages. I can't be the only guy that has a classic muscle car they like to tinker with.
You won’t find anything (reasonably priced) thru traditional methods. You gotta get out on the road and cold call existing mom/pop garages/businesses within the radius you’re willing to travel to ....to continue the hobby. It’s not a perfect science but better than attaching yourself to an agent or bigger leasing company.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:28 AM

No.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!

Tags
move, cars, garage, downsize, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.