Did I do something wrong? Please weigh in.

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
The op I think is talking about going out the gate not in.You can’t see carts while entering.On going out the gate the gate stays up while vehicles are present.
There are some gates where carts cross inside, and some where they cross outside so doesn't matter.

This whole argument is stupid and the reason why umpteen gates get broken every year...impatient people.

It's like saying it's ok to run stop signs if nobody is there cuz it "helps move traffic along"
Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I think you didn't quite get what I said. I do not caravan when there is a cart waiting. I let the gate go down. But I'm finding out now that I am wrong by waving a cart driver through. I won't do that anymore.

Driving through the gate in a caravan works very well when there is no cart traffic waiting. It moves the traffic so much faster. Some of those gates take what seems like an eternity to close. I think some of them need to be adjusted to come down more quickly.
Thank you.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Platinum member

That video is unbelievable.
Why are these drivers in such a hurry?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:51 AM

If you are entering a neighborhood where there are two entry lanes, you must not caravan through. I have nearly been hit by people in the other lane doing just that. Having two gates allows for traffic to alternate between resident and visitor gates. When you rush through, the driver in the other lane cannot see you coming.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Coffeebean, are you talking about entering or exiting the gates? When exiting the St. James gate (the roundabout at Buena Vista and St. Charles), nobody ever stops to let the gate come down; nor is there a sign saying to do that like there is on the entrance gate. The cart path crosses before the exit gate, and there is a continuous stream of auto traffic going through to exit. I think it would be extremely confusing to the carts for a car to stop before the cart path in order to let the gate come down, as there isn't enough room between the cart path and the exit gate to allow for more than one car, maybe two. And St. Charles is quite heavily traveled.

The entrance gate is a different kettle of fish. The sign says let the gate come down first, and you can't see if there's a cart coming. Also, it's designed to let the visitors through one by one as well, so they don't intersect each other on the other side of the gate.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
...there was a fellow in a golf cart waiting to cross. I stopped and let the gate come down. Then I continued to wait to allow the guy in the golf cart to proceed. He didn't. He then waved at me to tell me to go. He yelled to me, "what are you doing"? I motioned to him to proceed. He still would not go. So.....I proceeded to go through the gate. As I drove through the gate, the golf cart guy yelled at me, "IDIOT!!!"
Had I been the cart driver I, too, would have stayed put until you had gone past, but I hope I would not have been rude about it.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I've had people caravan behind me more than once and it aggravates me. As others have said, what's the hurry????
Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I hope this thread has educated one more of those, shall I say......idiot car drivers.
Agree. But also the many cart drivers who are willing to cross in front of a car that has the right of way. I'm afraid this teaches car drivers that it is normal to stop and wave carts through. In fact, some comments here show that that thinking is already firmly in place.

Some cars stop, others do not. Some carts are willing to cross, others are not. This mixed up situation, I'm afraid, is an accident waiting to happen.

An example. A car stopped and waved me through. I indicated to the car that I was going to wait for him to continue through. A golf cart coming the other direction decided to cross in front of the car that had stopped, even though the car driver never gave any indication to him that he should go. The car driver of course never saw the other cart because he was focused on me. The car started across and - a near miss.

Please friends. Crossing in front of a car that has the right of way is risky. Even if you don't believe so.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Agree. But also the many cart drivers who are willing to cross in front of a car that has the right of way. I'm afraid this teaches car drivers that it is normal to stop and wave carts through. In fact, some comments here show that that thinking is already firmly in place.

Some cars stop, others do not. Some carts are willing to cross, others are not. This mixed up situation, I'm afraid, is an accident waiting to happen.

An example. A car stopped and waved me through. I indicated to the car that I was going to wait for him to continue through. A golf cart coming the other direction decided to cross in front of the car that had stopped, even though the car driver never gave any indication to him that he should go. The car driver of course never saw the other cart because he was focused on me. The car started across and - a near miss.

Please friends. Crossing in front of a car that has the right of way is risky. Even if you don't believe so.
AGREED!!! Also...the folks who go 3/4 of the away around the circles in the outside lane to turn right and get p.o.'d if they get cut off by a vehicle in the left lane whose going right! There also has been discussion re: this ad nauseum on the social media sites as well. BUT the former is in the wrong and would get ticketed if an accident occurs....hate to think of the ramifications if an accident did occur!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Cart or no cart you should NOT caravan, that is unless you are one of the privileged drivers that don't have to follow the rules.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Coffeebean, are you talking about entering or exiting the gates? When exiting the St. James gate (the roundabout at Buena Vista and St. Charles), nobody ever stops to let the gate come down; nor is there a sign saying to do that like there is on the entrance gate. The cart path crosses before the exit gate, and there is a continuous stream of auto traffic going through to exit. I think it would be extremely confusing to the carts for a car to stop before the cart path in order to let the gate come down, as there isn't enough room between the cart path and the exit gate to allow for more than one car, maybe two. And St. Charles is quite heavily traveled.

The entrance gate is a different kettle of fish. The sign says let the gate come down first, and you can't see if there's a cart coming. Also, it's designed to let the visitors through one by one as well, so they don't intersect each other on the other side of the gate.
Thanks for pointing this out, CFrance. I know the rule about the right-away for cars vs carts, but not sure that I ever noticed the sign vs no sign that you mention. I've probably stopped and waited for the gate in some instances where I shouldn't have, aggravating people behind me in doing so, including golf carts! I assume what I highlighted in bold above is the key to the difference between some exit gates and others.

Again, thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage

By the way, coffeebean, it's really good that you presented your question in such a reasonable manner and are willing to adjust your driving habits based on what you find out. Such good sense and open-mindedness is not that common on ToTV. My compliments!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
By the way, coffeebean, it's really good that you presented your question in such a reasonable manner and are willing to adjust your driving habits based on what you find out. Such good sense and open-mindedness is not that common on ToTV. My compliments!
I'll second that. I also appreciated the honesty presented in the post, knowing that could be a set-up for some flack on here.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I'll second that. I also appreciated the honesty presented in the post, knowing that could be a set-up for some flack on here.
I third it.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Just wondering.....

What does "..." mean?

Tags
gate, golf, cart, wrong, gates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.