Did I do something wrong? Please weigh in.

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
There are many gates where you can't see if carts are waiting to cross. Gates were designed wisely to allow one car per gate opening, not for caravanning.

What's your hurry?
Most times, I'm not in a hurry. Sometimes am running late to what ever. I'm from NY. Maybe that will explain it. I see no reason for holding up a line of cars sitting at the gate waiting for it to close. The "eye" keeps the gate open if there is constant traffic going through it. So.......why not?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Most times, I'm not in a hurry. Sometimes am running late to what ever. I'm from NY. Maybe that will explain it. I see no reason for holding up a line of cars sitting at the gate waiting for it to close. The "eye" keeps the gate open if there is constant traffic going through it. So.......why not?
Is this entering a gate or exiting a gate?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I agree.... what is the hurry? The OP is very wrong.

And there is a sign at each gate that says that gate comes down after each car. Here's some good video of cars and carts piggy backing.
Village Community Development Districts

People should go to the GOLF CART DRIVING CLASS.
I've seen these videos before. The Del Mar gate comes down much quicker than the gates in my stomping ground. Actually, all the gates should be set to come down this quickly. Then people won't get "antsy" to get through the gate. The gates I deal with on a daily basis have a much longer delay before they begin to come down. That is why people caravan through these gates. I'm not the only one. Actually, I've really never seen anyone allow the gate to come down if someone is ahead of them.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I guess I now know why the gate at Mallory Suare is often broken. You are tailgating and that is not allowed. Caravanning sounds like a cute name for it, it is not cute . What is your hurry? Save 30 seconds at what cost?
Folks don't know how to time the gate. That's why you will see the Mallory gate broken many times. It's not really that difficult to stay close to the car in front of you, yet not have to "tailgate". Every time I go through those exit gates, the gate never comes down all the way as long as a car is approaching. I have absolutely no idea the stupidity it takes to actually break that gate. I've never been a witness to it happening.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-21-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
The op I think is talking about going out the gate not in.You can’t see carts while entering.On going out the gate the gate stays up while vehicles are present.
Yes, this is correct.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
In my opinion you are/were wrong on both counts.

First you are supposed to wait for the gate to close and then use your gate card... It's folks like you that are the reason our gates are knocked down so often! One car at a time.....you have no way of knowing if you can beat the gate...

Second, cars shouldn't stop for golf carts. They are merging, or crossing the traffic lane. They are required to YIELD to traffic. When you try to be nice and yield to them, you can become a traffic impediment to the traffic behind you. You can in fact cause someone in a roundabout to have to stop in the circle because you are not traveling through the gate without undue delay.

You may be being polite, but you are WRONG and WRONG in my opinion!
I already said upthread that I will never wave on a golf cart at the gates. I know I am was wrong about that. Cars always have the right of way in the gate areas and I do understand that.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage

deleted
Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
There are some gates where carts cross inside, and some where they cross outside so doesn't matter.

This whole argument is stupid and the reason why umpteen gates get broken every year...impatient people.

It's like saying it's ok to run stop signs if nobody is there cuz it "helps move traffic along"
Excellent point and point well taken, But......there are no stop signs for cars at the gates.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-21-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
If you are entering a neighborhood where there are two entry lanes, you must not caravan through. I have nearly been hit by people in the other lane doing just that. Having two gates allows for traffic to alternate between resident and visitor gates. When you rush through, the driver in the other lane cannot see you coming.
I NEVER EVER caravan through the gate while entering a neighborhood, especially Mallory. The gate is timed to come down much too quickly. That is why the Mallory gate is broken often. People play chicken with the gate on the way in and the gate will win every time.

It is the Mallory exit gate that is slow as molasses in January (a northern expression). That's why nearly everyone caravans through the exit gate.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Coffeebean, are you talking about entering or exiting the gates? When exiting the St. James gate (the roundabout at Buena Vista and St. Charles), nobody ever stops to let the gate come down; nor is there a sign saying to do that like there is on the entrance gate. The cart path crosses before the exit gate, and there is a continuous stream of auto traffic going through to exit. I think it would be extremely confusing to the carts for a car to stop before the cart path in order to let the gate come down, as there isn't enough room between the cart path and the exit gate to allow for more than one car, maybe two. And St. Charles is quite heavily traveled.

The entrance gate is a different kettle of fish. The sign says let the gate come down first, and you can't see if there's a cart coming. Also, it's designed to let the visitors through one by one as well, so they don't intersect each other on the other side of the gate.
By George, I think you've got it!!!! This.....exactly at the Mallory gate too.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 PM

If you stop in the street or at an intersection to let a golf car or car go, you, under Florida law, may have assumed liability for anything that happens at that intersection while you are controlling traffic. This happened to my daughter. A driver stoped to let her turn left into a shopping center. A car passed him on the grass to his right. The car on the grass hit my daughter in the passenger side. In court, the driver of the car that stop and let my daughter go was given i ticket and he was held liable for the damages to both cars. Unless something has changed, it's not a good idea to stop and let people go. So under the conditions here if you let the cart pass in front of you and it gets hit by a car coming IN the gate, you have have assumed liability for the accident. Check this for yourself. The law changes and things might not be the same. Or, they just might be the same.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
By the way, coffeebean, it's really good that you presented your question in such a reasonable manner and are willing to adjust your driving habits based on what you find out. Such good sense and open-mindedness is not that common on ToTV. My compliments!
Thank you.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
If you stop in the street or at an intersection to let a golf car or car go, you, under Florida law, may have assumed liability for anything that happens at that intersection while you are controlling traffic. This happened to my daughter. A driver stoped to let her turn left into a shopping center. A car passed him on the grass to his right. The car on the grass hit my daughter in the passenger side. In court, the driver of the car that stop and let my daughter go was given i ticket and he was held liable for the damages to both cars. Unless something has changed, it's not a good idea to stop and let people go. So under the conditions here if you let the cart pass in front of you and it gets hit by a car coming IN the gate, you have have assumed liability for the accident. Check this for yourself. The law changes and things might not be the same. Or, they just might be the same.
I didn't realize this. Thank you for this information. I will never ever direct traffic again. No waving on to anyone.....in a car or a cart. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have always been told the gates in this community aren't for security. The gates are for traffic control and to give the golf carts the opportunity to cross at the entrance/exit gates. OK, I agree with this.

I am one of those drivers who goes through the gate before it comes down. When the gate is delayed in coming down, there is no problem following the car before me. I will do this only if there is no golf cart waiting to pass through. I'm aware many believe this is wrong but I'm going to continue to be a part of a caravan when the gate is up (and no cart is waiting). It saves time and keeps the traffic moving.

Now my concern...... This morning as I was exiting the Mallory gate, two cars went through the gate and the second driver went through before the gate came down. I, who usually would follow in this caravan, did not. Why?.....because there was a fellow in a golf cart waiting to cross. I stopped and let the gate come down. Then I continued to wait to allow the guy in the golf cart to proceed. He didn't. He then waved at me to tell me to go. He yelled to me, "what are you doing"? I motioned to him to proceed. He still would not go. So.....I proceeded to go through the gate. As I drove through the gate, the golf cart guy yelled at me, "IDIOT!!!"

Was I wrong for stopping and allowing the golf cart to proceed? Am I under the wrong impression that the gates are for traffic control and to allow the golf carts to cross at the gate entrances and exits?
Yes, you were wrong.

The gates are intended to be opened for 1 vehicle at a time. They are not opened for 3 cars at a time.

The cars AND carts trying to "caravan" through the open gates are the reason the gates are being damaged all the time.

As to the "who should go"...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by dirtbanker; 01-21-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
AGREED!!! Also...the folks who go 3/4 of the away around the circles in the outside lane to turn right and get p.o.'d if they get cut off by a vehicle in the left lane whose going right! There also has been discussion re: this ad nauseum on the social media sites as well. BUT the former is in the wrong and would get ticketed if an accident occurs....hate to think of the ramifications if an accident did occur!!!
Is anyone here capable of reading the sign at the entrance to the round about, the one that illustrate which lane can go where???

Old and blind...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, golf, cart, wrong, gates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.