Did you read the covenants (deed restrictions) in their entirety before you bought?

View Poll Results: Before you bought, did you read the convenants entirely
Yes 43 53.09%
No 28 34.57%
Partially 10 12.35%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Founder
Default Did you read the covenants (deed restrictions) in their entirety before you bought?

I wonder how many did.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 AM

We never saw or was offered that document until we closed. We didn't know it existed until we closed and were given a copy at that time. Now they are available to read on-line. For the most part, I don't have any problem with the content and glad it is there to protect us. The few violations I see from time to time don't bother me.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog
Angry you must be kidding

Smalldog Sez
say what ???? was never aware of its existance and in three years still haven't seen one get my best info from neighbors and by the error and error method
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Yes, read it, and also marked full of questions to ask and get clear. Then made copies so I have one in each house, plus have one I cary in my planner. But for those that know me, this should not surprise them at all. Being Army 30+ years I live by regulations!
That is also one of my pet peeves. I fell that CW does not enforce them as they are written. To me, since we had to sign that we recieved/read/understand them, that if CW doesn't enforce it is breach of contract.

Army Guy
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Sage

Yes, read it. Lived for 30 years in CA with CC&R's. Wasn't a problem. Keeps things looking good around the community.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Sage

Yes. Also read the declaration of restrictions.

Last edited by bkcunningham1; 04-07-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum member
Default Didn't Get To Do It

We were given a copy, told to sign that we had received it and to read it when we moved in six years ago. We had 2 dogs and 2 cats at the time, they knew it, and never said a word about it. We found out about the 2-pet thing after we got all our paperwork after closing. Our dogs have since passed away and we have only the cats now.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default As my friend Curly might say.....

"Soitenly"
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Default Yes

I was given a copy by my agent when we made an offer and signed for another copy at closing
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Question Please post the link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam View Post
Now they are available to read on-line.
Would someone who knows where to find it, please post the link?

This would be very helpful to those who would like to review this information in advance.

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Sage

Allen, not wanting to take over the original purpose of the post, if it is okay with TH, I'll copy and paste another post I made this morning to answer a question on another subject. (I'm being lazy) It supplies good information and you can link to the VCDD website:

springfield, I'm supplying a link to The Villages (TV) Recreation Department's brochure. It outlines the rules for visitors and grandchildren. It also gives the web address for the Villages Community Development Districts (VCDD) website.

The VCDD is a wealth of information. It provides district maps, the covenants and declarations of restrictions for each of the areas within each district. If you aren't familiar with TV, IMHO, it may seem overwhelming because there is so much information and TV is a very large area within three counties. TV wasn't built over night. It has grown and changed for 20 plus years based on a community master plan developed by the original owner, much like Walt Disney did when he bought acres and acres of property to develop Disney World. Disney Resort has four theme parks, two water parks, 24 themed hotels, shopping, dining, entertainment and recreation venues now.

http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Like "pooh" I lived in So. Cal. for 25 years in a city where everything was controlled by "Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions". That's why I chose that lovely community and it's precisely what attracted me to TV as soon as I drove in. We DO live in a bubble here and it's clean, manicured and beautiful. There frequently seems to be someone who feels they have the right to pop this bubble. If this is your attitude, please stay where you are. 99% of us are very happy with the regs.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

I assume by covenant you mean the Deed Restrictions. I read the Deed Restrictions and highlighted some of the areas that I wanted to be reminded of.

Being from New Jersey I was also given and read the 31 page Amended and Restated New Jersey Public Offering Statement that NJ residents are given that explains a lot of the Villages information and the Deed Restrictions in plain English.

All of this was given to me when I put the initial down payment on the property when I signed for the property. Therefore I knew all of this when I came down to put the 20% down and finalize the deal.

I agree with Army Guy, that none of these Deed Restrictions are uniformly applied. After I got burnt for lawn ornaments that were there for many months, I took a ride around and wondered if the others got gigged also.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I'm supplying a link to The Villages (TV) Recreation Department's brochure.
This is very good information in the form of the PDF document, BK. Thank you.

If possible, I would also like to see where one can read the actual "Covenant Document" that Chacam referred to in Post #2 of this Thread.

If the link is somewhere in the Recreation Department Brochure, I apoligize... I can't seem to find it there.

Thanks again...

Last edited by Allen; 04-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Another question could be; how many did not buy because of

something they read or did not like/support in the "rule" book???
Having lived in real gated communities prior to TV there is nothing that could be in ANY locations "rule" book that would affect our decision.
Not being allowed to have a pick up truck on blocks in the driveway did slow me down a bit....but more tha adequately offset by being allowed to sit in the nude on my patio having a cigar and a glass of wine....

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.