Digital Resident ID's

Old 04-03-2024, 05:37 AM

LOL, before I moved here, I ran the machine that produced ID cards for our volunteer organization. If I wanted to, I could take a picture of my ID card and use that to produce a clone of that card as fast as I could feed blank cards into the machine. However, I no longer live there and I put my ID and phone in a waterproof pouch when I go to the pool.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I do just fine in 2024 going to the pool while leaving my phone at home and bringing my ID. Residents only have one Physical ID, but a digital version could be used by multiple people. Keep the pools secure and require a physical ID. If you must bring your phone with you, keep your physical ID in a sleeve on the back of your phone. And airlines are willing to accept a digital boarding pass because the traveler already was required to show a physical ID to a TSA agent when they went through security.
Great point
Old 04-03-2024, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

It's amazing to me how many people are in favor of reducing the level of security in The Villages, which accepting digital ID cards would definitely do. Have you ever watched a rec center employee scanning ID cards and how carelessly they accept almost anything that will pass the scanner?
Old 04-03-2024, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's amazing to me how many people are in favor of reducing the level of security in The Villages, which accepting digital ID cards would definitely do. Have you ever watched a rec center employee scanning ID cards and how carelessly they accept almost anything that will pass the scanner?
Actually, an app-based digital ID would *improve* the security of the system. I don't mean an app built to take a picture of your ID, that is simply a camera.

What I mean is an app that is designed to authenticate you to the database where the ID is stored and then retrieve your information. This is the same type of app that allows me to use my Apple Wallet to hold my auto insurance, credit cards, airline tickets, concert tickets, and Disney annual pass. Certainly the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) (auto insurance), banking industry (credit cards), FAA (airline tickets), entertainment venues (concert tickets), and Disney World (annual pass) all have more stringent security needs than the Villages pools and rec centers.

Florida also has their FLHSMV Smart ID app that Florida says provides a safe and trusted proof of identity and age. This is outside the Apple Wallet but another example of an app-based ID capability.

I don't *need* the digital Villages ID but there is no reason why it shouldn't be available today, particularly since it was announced by the Villages over three years ago.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Actually, an app-based digital ID would *improve* the security of the system. I don't mean an app built to take a picture of your ID, that is simply a camera.

What I mean is an app that is designed to authenticate you to the database where the ID is stored and then retrieve your information. This is the same type of app that allows me to use my Apple Wallet to hold my auto insurance, credit cards, airline tickets, concert tickets, and Disney annual pass. Certainly the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) (auto insurance), banking industry (credit cards), FAA (airline tickets), entertainment venues (concert tickets), and Disney World (annual pass) all have more stringent security needs than the Villages pools and rec centers.

Florida also has their FLHSMV Smart ID app that Florida says provides a safe and trusted proof of identity and age. This is outside the Apple Wallet but another example of an app-based ID capability.

I don't *need* the digital Villages ID but there is no reason why it shouldn't be available today, particularly since it was announced by the Villages over three years ago.
I don't disagree with a new ID system, but some people, including the OP, are just taking a photo of their ID card on their phone, and get mad when the rec center doesn't accept it. To me, accepting this copy method reduces security.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quote:
I don't disagree with a new ID system, but some people, including the OP, are just taking a photo of their ID card on their phone, and get mad when the rec center doesn't accept it. To me, accepting this copy method reduces security.
How does it reduce "security" when a photo of the person scanned also appears on the scanning device?
Old 04-03-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Apparently, you did not understand the OP’s post. He said he used the Wallet app on his phone. I use Wallet to store my credit cards and can use it to pay for things. It is more secure than physical cards and I would think the banking industry has a MUCH greater need for security than some rec center.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely, details matter.

I don't know if allowing pictures reduces security but that isn't the point. A picture is not a digital ID system, it is just a picture and it is not acceptable.

The Villages should implement the digital ID they advertised so long ago. The residents should pressure the District to make this happen. Until it is done, we all need to carry our little cards.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-03-2024, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
How does it reduce "security" when a photo of the person scanned also appears on the scanning device?
It reduces security buy allowing soneone to make multiple copies and give them to others. The rec center employees do not always compare the photo to the resident when allowing access.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Apparently, you did not understand the OP’s post. He said he used the Wallet app on his phone. I use Wallet to store my credit cards and can use it to pay for things. It is more secure than physical cards and I would think the banking industry has a MUCH greater need for security than some rec center.
I understood the OP's post. They even clarified it in Post No. 9. The OP also admitted that they broke the rules. What the OP has on their phone is nothing more than a photo of the ID card, which is not allowed by the Villages rules. There is also no app approved as a substitute for the original ID card.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Micro chip implants.....just like Fido. Problem solved!
Old 04-03-2024, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Micro chip implants.....just like Fido. Problem solved!
How many dogs do you know named Fido?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
You and your sister look that much alike?
It's funny to mention this. "My" photo looks NOTHING like me.

2 things changed my appearance drastically since moving to TV:

>long hair, no bangs became short hair w/bangs.
Very thin face is now much fuller.

Nobody thinks my ID looks like me, but the scanners at the pool never seem to look at the picture.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:04 AM

Agree that "cloning" of an ID card via a picture of your card and bar code is not valid. Plus, the barcode scanners may not work with an image of a real card. Any evidence of this?

People with villages temporary resident ID cards (paper) can wrap their card in clear tape to make it water-resistant. Take to pool.

Get a small holder for the back of your smartphone or punch a hole in ID card and put on a lanyard.

Long term. A digital system (app) might work but a ton of effort for 165,000 people...again, the current handheld scanners may not work.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:06 AM

I recently bought a clear case for my cell phone and my Villages ID is kept in the back of my cell phone. It's clearly visible to the s starter shack folks and can be scanned without removing it at the pools and Rec Centers.

Tags
app, ids, phone, cell, attendant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.