Digital Villages resident ID

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 04:54 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default so golf carts can cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgizzi View Post
I think that is a great idea. They should have both options, some people might not like using their phones like that. Some people don’t like putting too much personal stuff on their phones. And speaking of security in a way. I am wondering what the point is of having gates when they have it posted to “USE YOUR GATE CARD OR PRESS RED BUTTON TO ENTER”!! Anyone & Everyone can come in, so why have gates at all? I have heard about the “red” button duct didn’t think they would advertise it? Just wondering what the logic of that is?
so golf carts can cross
Old 08-10-2020, 04:57 AM

I’ve never rented out my place so I don’t know, but do you have to surrender your ID when you turn your house over to renters? If so, then having a picture of your ID on your phone should not be a valid ID.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Here in the villages is NOT a true gated community. vendors do not have gate passes, therefore, must use the red button. Also true for visitors
Old 08-10-2020, 05:55 AM

I will NOT buy a fancy phone just to have my ID card on.........Just another item for the scammers, and hackers to get hold of. Many villagers are NOT permanently attached to their phones like some. Slowing to swipe a card, or slowing for an automatic opening is fine.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You don't have one?????
I chose the bar code
Old 08-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

I asked why they don't allow a digital version of the ID, the answer is that a digital version could be copied and it would take longer for someone to look at it to verify that it is real you. It could be photoshopped with a different picture.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Two responses. First, I agree they should always have the option of having an actual non digital ID. I for one do not like having my phone surgically attached to me. I rarely bring my phone with me unless I am expecting an important call. Carrying an ID in my money clip is way easier than lugging around a phone. I never bring my phone on a golf course. I am playing golf, not working, and it is extremely inconsiderate to fellow golfers to have your phone making noises while golfing.

Second, the gates have two important purposes. Most importantly, they help automobile and golf cart traffic co-exist. In many places, without the gates slowing cars, it would be very dangerous for golf carts. Also, the gates slow down cars so security cameras can get a picture of each cars license plate. If a crime is committed and a witness can identify an associated automobile, the owner of the vehicle
can be easily identified.
I always carry my phone on the golf course. I am glad I do. Needed it to call the clubhouse when my golfing partner collapsed from the heat...and that was up north! She needed to get to air-conditioning quickly. Wouldn’t golf without it now. I silence it so it doesn’t bother me or anyone else.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I asked why they don't allow a digital version of the ID, the answer is that a digital version could be copied and it would take longer for someone to look at it to verify that it is real you. It could be photoshopped with a different picture.
Correct. It would be so easy to put my photo onto your ID card for a cell phone record. I have wondered why the system used when we check in doesn't provide a photo to the rec center or golf employee. As it is now you could flash any green plastic card when you check in for golf at the exec courses. If instead when you gave your name there would be a pop up of your photo on the screen verification would be cleaner.

Of course they could also program the system so that when you were within 30 days of needing to pay your annual trail fee you'd get a notice by email and when you used the online reservation system to make a tee time.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You don't have one?????
Or do you? 😏
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	589258FA-C907-4C34-9F0F-5C30A88B26A9.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	85695  
Old 08-10-2020, 06:59 AM

Gates are there to help with traffic flow Not keep people out
Old 08-10-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
Anyone know if there are any plans for a digital ID for the phone so we don’t have to carry around the physical ID.

Or is a picture on your phone of your ID sufficient for pools, recreation centers etc.
I would rather have digital /scanning at the gates. Barcode on your windshield is read and the gate opens
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
It's to give the appearance of a gated community.
Thanks, my thought too!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Smile, you're on candid camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Two responses. First, I agree they should always have the option of having an actual non digital ID. I for one do not like having my phone surgically attached to me. I rarely bring my phone with me unless I am expecting an important call. Carrying an ID in my money clip is way easier than lugging around a phone. I never bring my phone on a golf course. I am playing golf, not working, and it is extremely inconsiderate to fellow golfers to have your phone making noises while golfing.

Second, the gates have two important purposes. Most importantly, they help automobile and golf cart traffic co-exist. In many places, without the gates slowing cars, it would be very dangerous for golf carts. Also, the gates slow down cars so security cameras can get a picture of each cars license plate. If a crime is committed and a witness can identify an associated automobile, the owner of the vehicle
can be easily identified.
Slowing down all traffic at the gates allows for better pictures of the vehicles and passengers. So SMILE!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:39 AM

I thought the gates were to keep us old folks from wandering off
Old 08-10-2020, 07:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

I have a phone case that carries credit cards. If it’s that important to carry cell phone why not carry ID and driver’s license.
Closed Thread

Tags
guest, digital, phone, picture, sufficient

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.