Dine and dashes sicken me.

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, standard policy in most restaurants is that the server is responsible for paying for the check. Was this way when I served in college, hasn’t changed. The restaurant does not eat the bill. To make matters worse, if a server confronts a customer obviously leaving without paying, it is an automatic dismissal for the server. Many also have the policy that if a server has three walkouts in a 12-month period, it is an automatic termination. This happened to my daughter at Olive Garden and she’d been with them over 6 years!

More than once I’ve paid someone’s bill so the server wouldn’t have to. It is truly one of the more vile things a person can do, in my book.
What's even more vile is the restaurant placing the server in the middle. Classic double bind. If the servers have to foot the bill for a dine and dasher, they ought to be allowed to go after the person with impunity.

Last edited by CFrance; 11-18-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What's even more vile is the restaurant placing the server in the middle. Classic double bind. If the servers have to foot the bill for a dine and dasher, they ought to be allowed to go after the person with impunity.
I so agree with you. The server seems to be between a rock and a hard place. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just doesn't seem fair.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I so agree with you. The server seems to be between a rock and a hard place. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just doesn't seem fair.
They also sometimes assign the wait staff in two different sections of the restaurant like our's had to cover making it impossible to keep eyes on the customers to make sure the customers were getting service.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A few years ago I was watching a football game at Gator's Dockside in Spanish Springs when a false bomb scare was called in.

The whole place was evacuated. When I realized that we weren't going to be let back in before the game ended, I went across to Margarita Republic and watched the rest of the game. When the game was over Gator's was still closed so I went home.

The next day I went back to Gator's to pay my bill. They found it and I paid. I asked how many people came back to pay their bill and was told almost all of them.

So although this sort of thing might happen, even here in The Villages, it seems to me that most people are honest and will go out of their way to do the right thing.

By the way, I left an exceptionally large tip for the waitress because I knew that she had lost some income that day.

The guy that called in the bomb threat was caught. It was the boyfriend of a waitress who wanted her to get the day off. I hope it wasn't the waitress that I tipped.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, standard policy in most restaurants is that the server is responsible for paying for the check. Was this way when I served in college, hasn’t changed. The restaurant does not eat the bill. To make matters worse, if a server confronts a customer obviously leaving without paying, it is an automatic dismissal for the server. Many also have the policy that if a server has three walkouts in a 12-month period, it is an automatic termination. This happened to my daughter at Olive Garden and she’d been with them over 6 years!

More than once I’ve paid someone’s bill so the server wouldn’t have to. It is truly one of the more vile things a person can do, in my book.
This practice is illegal in some states. I don't know about Florida, but I tended bar back in Massachusetts and restaurants are not allowed to charge the server for walk outs.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 AM

I agree. Most of the time it’s not the
servers fault. Sometimes the kitchen
is backed up. These servers don’t live in the area and must travel to get to work.
Give them a break
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Karma. It doesn’t matter what line of work you’re in, EVERY ONE gets busy/overwhelmed at work. What would happen if a medical person, say a nurse was working short (not that that would ever happen of course 🤥)..... Would they just ignore you or eventually get to you as soon as they possibly could. Patients, kindness and understanding are what is needed. Otherwise just stay home and cook for yourself!!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 AM

I have a girlfriend who’s is an AWESOME waitress! Years ago she had a guy who attempted to dined and dashed....She ran out after him and confronted him!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Quite frankly they walked put and I had no idea what happened till the waiter came over to their table, picked up the tab with only the unsigned slip and he ran out and came back in obviously upset. I was watching the television and eating when this happened.
Since the waiter picked up the "unsigned slip", then possibly, the diners did sign one of the slips and took that one by mistake. The waiter should have just added 20% tip and turned it in unsigned. If there was a credit card used, I doubt if this was a case of "dine & dash"
Old 11-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Default It gets even worse

Someone once stole the flowers off my mother's grave. Not much about human behavior surprises me anymore.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
It's unbelievable people do this to the mostly hard working servers. Tonight we were at Tierra Del Sol and a couple sitting next to us slipped out with their leftovers leaving the waiter stuck. The place was packed, our waiter was busting his ass to cover every one of his customers needs and these aholes decide it wasn't enough so screw him. I just wanted to post this to make others aware. I've heard this happens and I think it's despicable to do to any server or establishment. If you don't like the service do the right thing and take it up with the manager.
Anymore it seems like everyone does tip, but it's not mandatory, it's a courtesy for good service. I really think if the restaurants would pay more they wouldn't expect a tip. Some restaurants pay per hour, like $12. a hour (but I don't think The Villages pay that much) so if their tips offset the $12. an hour & say they make $150. a week & if they get $50. in tips the restaurants only pay them $100. I know some do that, maybe not here, but they do. BY THE WAY, I ALWAYS TIP!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Anymore it seems like everyone does tip, but it's not mandatory, it's a courtesy for good service. I really think if the restaurants would pay more they wouldn't expect a tip. Some restaurants pay per hour, like $12. a hour (but I don't think The Villages pay that much) so if their tips offset the $12. an hour & say they make $150. a week & if they get $50. in tips the restaurants only pay them $100. I know some do that, maybe not here, but they do. BY THE WAY, I ALWAYS TIP!
I know a number of waitresses or former hostesses and will ask them. May take me a while though to gather information. I only see these women once in a while. And it may vary by Villages' Country Club and private restaurants.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-19-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Wage for wait staff is about 5 bucks an hour. They rely on tips. If one can’t afford to tip, one should eat at home. Sunday tippers are the worst.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 AM

and this is why you will never get quality help in this area!!!!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I, for one, would have followed them and snapped a picture of their license plate
This happens a lot here in TV. I have seen it happen a number of times in the last 14 years. Terra Del Sol seems to be the same place I have seen it before. That poor waitress was in tears because she had to pay out of her pocket for their meal. The people we were with all put in to pay for the meal and some folks we didn't even know. Time for cameras on the wait staff.
Closed Thread

Tags
waiter, wanted, dashes, post, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.