Direct TV Cancelling

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2023, 07:17 AM

As mentioned, Always get a receipt for any equipment returned. I used to work for Verizon and often people would drop off equipment without a receipt and later on, due to any administrative issues, they were asked to prove they returned the equipment and couldn't.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would do it in writing by sending an email. Also, I would change the payment method to a reloadable debit card (like a My Vanilla VISA card), if possible, so they can only charge you an amount that you have loaded onto the card. I use a reloadable debit card for a lot of purchases that require a credit card. I don't think the merchant can tell the difference.
FWIW... I have a card with Capital One and one of their free services is "Eno" (maybe short for "enough!"?) which allows you to create a unique virtual card for each merchant that can be instantly cancelled or placed on hold for any new charges. The virtual cards are created and managed online via Capital One's app or website. Great for subscriptions and things like this.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,078 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Have all your friends information soc sec #. They will try and give options to lower bill. Just tell you no longer need their service any longer. Either they will send you packaging or ask you to dispose of equipment. No technician will be dispatched to remove dish.
Social security number? I had DTV and I doubt I would have given them my SS#.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:24 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I am getting ready to help a very ill friend cancel his Direct TV service. I am not asking “how” but rather what to expect when I make the call. What have others experienced when canceling Direct TV? Thanks in advance.
I changed to ROKU it's easy and I am now paying 15.00 a month instead of 95.00 all you need is the internet it's got everything I want. When you sign up research what you want to watch I myself use all the free features, right now I pay 6.99 for FRNDLY, and Bill O'reilly at 7.99 SRIUS is free for 3 months then I have to pay 11.99 it's worth it I get everything very nostalgic shows.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,388 Posts

Apple TV + T-Mobile internet + Direct TV Stream + Freebie apps = saving $130 per month after cancelling Comcast/Xfinity (after 18 years of price increases).

__________________________________________________ __

Old 07-02-2023, 11:33 AM
Default Caution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I use a reloadable debit card for a lot of purchases that require a credit card. I don't think the merchant can tell the difference.
I used a reloadable debit card to pay for a few meals while out with my visiting family members. Three separate restaurants withheld about a 20% surcharge for a tip - even after I had provided a 20% TIP IN CASH!!!!! I had to use the "contact us" feature to protest those surcharges.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:37 AM

Most times, they say equipment was not returned, and they bill you $hundreds per item.

They provide return materials. Insist on tracking numbers for every box. Do not send if no tracking numbers. Call back and INSIST on traceable shipping.
Photograph shipping label with item being returned, clearly showing details and serial numbers.
Photograph sealed boxes showing tracking numbers on shipping label.
Track and follow shipping.
Print out the "delivered" track.

Wait. Watch credit card for DTV charging for unreturned equipment. Dispute with cardit card company. Dispute with DTV - threaten to file a police report for theft.

Anyone else using DTV - highly recommend using a virtual card number for payment so you can cancel it when needed. Then when DTV mails you a letter saying you owe for equipment and they threaten sending you to collections, you can file criminal charges for extortion.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:06 PM

Never never give s. s # There is an account # to give and address
Old 07-02-2023, 10:02 PM
Default Agree plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
ended our multi-year relationship with them about a year ago with a phone call. They did try to entice me to stay with a lower rate but i replied they should have been offering the lower rate all the time if i was such a valued customer. Received and email authorization with instructions on what to return. Took the email and equipment to the ups store and they took care of the return at no cost to me. Not really a big hassle.

One note, they do not refund for a partial month of use so you might as well cancel effective you monthly billing date.
"
i did take advantage of a 6 month holiday perion where service is off and you are not charged in case you don't like your new provider. Off course you need to call and fully cancel before time is up. Also i was getting charged by century link bundling so i have a $90 credit not with direct tv as century link wouldn't refund that.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

I have had both DirecTV and DISH Network multiple times and have quite both multiple times. In fact, I just quit DISH Network. They will, of course, switch you over to a "retention" person who will try to counter any reasons you might have for quitting with reasons for staying. They will offer you special deals The company doesn't want to lose you and these folks are paid to try to talk you out of it. When you have convince them you are really, really serious about quitting, they'll tell you what youi owe them (which may be nothing if you are all caught up or may be hundreds of dollars if you are in the middle of a commitment to them) and how to get the equipment back to them. Usually, it's boxing up the receiver/DVR and remotes and sending it back pre-paid. They will usually send you boes to do that in, though they might charge you for them. For the first time, DISH had me take off some part from the dish itself (the LNB?) and include that. You drop the box(es) off at whatever shipper they use, pay your bill (if one exists) and you are done.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, canceling, experienced, call, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.