Direct TV Cancelling

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2023, 02:34 PM
Platinum member
Default Direct TV Cancelling

I am getting ready to help a very ill friend cancel his Direct TV service. I am not asking “how” but rather what to expect when I make the call. What have others experienced when canceling Direct TV? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,962 Times in 5,351 Posts

I would do it in writing by sending an email. Also, I would change the payment method to a reloadable debit card (like a My Vanilla VISA card), if possible, so they can only charge you an amount that you have loaded onto the card. I use a reloadable debit card for a lot of purchases that require a credit card. I don't think the merchant can tell the difference.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:00 PM

Ended our multi-year relationship with them about a year ago with a phone call. They did try to entice me to stay with a lower rate but I replied they should have been offering the lower rate all the time if I was such a valued customer. Received and email authorization with instructions on what to return. Took the email and equipment to the UPS store and they took care of the return at no cost to me. NOt really a big hassle.

One note, they do not refund for a partial month of use so you might as well cancel effective you monthly billing date.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,003 Times in 771 Posts

Have all your friends information soc sec #. They will try and give options to lower bill. Just tell you no longer need their service any longer. Either they will send you packaging or ask you to dispose of equipment. No technician will be dispatched to remove dish.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,161 Times in 833 Posts

Or they'll ask you for your first born.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,289 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Ended our multi-year relationship with them about a year ago with a phone call. They did try to entice me to stay with a lower rate but I replied they should have been offering the lower rate all the time if I was such a valued customer. Received and email authorization with instructions on what to return. Took the email and equipment to the UPS store and they took care of the return at no cost to me. NOt really a big hassle.

One note, they do not refund for a partial month of use so you might as well cancel effective you monthly billing date.
Had the same experience. Before canceling, log into the account and delete any auto pay that is set up as well as the payment method (stored credit card or bank account number) so they can’t continue to charge you. Also, it’s up to you to get rid of the dish or just leave it there without using it. Good luck
Old 07-01-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

They will transfer you to "retention" just say no to everything. No matter what credit cards you remove they can charge/bill you on any preexisting charged card which is part of their agreement in the contract. MANY companies with subscriptions do this. . DO NOT tell them you are not the account holder (or a authorized user on the account) or they more than likely will not talk to you (they are not supposed to). Nothing wrong with following up in writing but honestly it won't do much.

I say this from experience both as a long time former customer and a CALL CENTER TECH SUPPORT TRAINER for 5 years in their MDU division, which I started out in retention training. This goes back probably 15 years but they have not changed. "JUST SAY NO" over and over and make sure ANY EQUIPMENT is returned. If they tell you to keep it (they do with some old equipment). DO NOT JUNK IT FOR 2 YEARS! Your account is not cancelled until they get their equipment and you WILL BE BILLED for the equipment if not returned.if they ask for it and sometimes even if they don't ask for it. If you do return it make sure you take photos of all the numbers on the backs of each box and make sure you get a receipt for the tracking. Their contracts have lots of fine print.

Make sure you call them DURING THE DAY so the chances are less you will be transferred to offshore. If your friend is still under contract ONLY DEATH (certificate required) or moving to a location where there is no service or being deployed overseas (with proof!) will get you out without paying the $20/month ETF. I would suggest your friend adds you to his account if they still do that.

Good luck. Remember: JUST SAY NO !!!! . Hopefully you have no hassle. SInce they were bought by AT&T it's only gotten worse I have heard.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-01-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Had the same experience. Before canceling, log into the account and delete any auto pay that is set up as well as the payment method (stored credit card or bank account number) so they can’t continue to charge you.
. They still can if you are under contract and sometimes do if you are not. It's in the "fine print" that they can bill any previously used method. Yea, you can dispute it with your CC company but you need proof you cancelled AND returned equipment.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:24 PM

Make sure you have the account pin. They won't do anything without that.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I just had a problem with another vendor on services not ordered. I went to my credit card company and put the card on hold. Fortunately the card was not the one I use for most purchases. I assume this will prevent them from billing you even though your removed the card.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:38 AM

If you are not named on their account you probably won't get far so make sure the named subscriber can get on the phone with you even if just to approve your speaking the the rep.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:26 AM

All good advice here. I would add these tips: Choose a time when you will not be interrupted. If using your own cell, make it's fully charged. Make sure you have your friend's cell phone nearby (also charged). The company may want to send an authorization code to the cell phone on record. Make sure you have passcode to open your friend's phone. Have pencil and paper nearby just in case you need to take notes. Get all the information you need to verify to the company that you are the person authorized to make account changes--password, DOB, SSN (though technically SSN should never be used as ID), the last charge to this company on the CC, CC number and 3 digit code. Keep in mind that the company's first line of defense is to encourage you to keep the service. They are trained to do that, so kind of train yourself to keep saying politely, but firmly, no. Expect that this will take more time than you were planning to spend. Make a note of any equipment they want back. (That probably won't include the dish). Finally get verification that the account is closed: A confirmation number or email to the account holder's email address. It's a lot, but if you know all this going in, you'll be better prepared, which should make this process less frustrating. And good on you for helping your friend!
Old 07-02-2023, 06:40 AM

It can be an ordeal. Just stick to your guns and say Please Cancel My Service.....
Old 07-02-2023, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Early fee

If your in a contract they charge 20 bucks a month for months remaining.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:52 AM

Had no problem I called they sent me a barcode took to ups store sent back equipment done.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, canceling, experienced, call, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.