Direct TV - Dish TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2023, 05:50 AM
Default Have you tried Dish Anywhere app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I've had YouTubeTV for the past few weeks. A little different than what I'm used to, Dish which I have back up north. I can just have a firestick here and there at no extra cost. We'll see how it goes.
You could keep Dish up North and use their Dish Anywhere app on your Smart TV when at the Villages for free. Just download from Google Play Store to your TVs. It seems your Hopper up North.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger 2006 View Post
Xfinity users in Glenview/Polo Ridge are currently complaining that Xfinity has been out for them for 2 days.
Not me! Internet working fine!
Old 01-26-2023, 06:09 AM
Default YouTube TV

I have been using YouTube TV for years, no problem. I have Comcast Xfinity Wi-Fi at the lowest speed, again, no problem. I bought my own modem at Best Buy, so I do not have to rent theirs, no problem. Highly recommend, YouTube TV, bottomless, DVR recordings, no DVR needed, YouTube TV will do it for you.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger 2006 View Post
I have had DirecTV for 17 years. Great reception and huge channel selections. Actually way too many. Their pricing has become ridiculously high in recent years. Since I believe the future of TV is streaming, not cable or satellite I am seriously considering You Tube TV. It offers 85 channels, local stations, unlimited DVR recordings, sports, and movies for half of what I am paying now without sacrificing the channels I watch regularly.
I left the expensive Direct TV and went with YouTube Tv. Close to $70 and has everything DirectTV had
Old 01-26-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Just wait a little while and the Villages is sure to start their own TV station here in the Villages. It will have all the old TV shows like 'leave it to beaver', 'The lone ranger', 'Rawhide', 'Gunsmoke' and more of what Old Retired People would watch.
Funny, but no reason to. ME TV, Decades, and a number of other stations do that already. Put up an antenna, point it at Orlando, and watch for free.

I do wish the Villages had a Roku app with their content vs having to search YouTube.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Direct TV is the worst. Way overpriced, you can't go wrong with YouTube TV for $65 a month.
Agree… I have now been streaming YoutubeTV for about 2 years and we love it. And for those who say you can’t type in the channel number, as I watch about 10 of the 100s of channels you can reorder your favorites to the top of the list and hide those you never watch. And did I say unlimited DVR is included. I was able to add additional packages as needed like for $10 I add the sports package to get NFLRedZone during the 4 months of football season to watch my northern team and then drop it come January. Also we added the 4K package during the Olympics for just the one month.

I did have Dish back in Colorado for years and saved about $1000 a year (1 Hopper and 3 Joeys with a slightly upgraded service) by switching to YoutubeTV.

Also, if you are a hard core NFL fan (I am not hard core) DirectTV was the only place to get the NFL package. Next year, it’s moving to YoutubeTV.

I would verify that if you want some special channel, check first but for me, YouTube TV has it all that I need.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:47 AM
Default Youtube Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Have had both Directv and Dish, but now streaming YouTubeTV through Xfinity/Comcast
WIFI only service. Have great reception.
Very satisfied, getting everything we are looking to watch, less costly than Direct or Dish.
I also use youtube tv and really like it.
Had dish for 2yrs then they jack up your price to almost $100 month. Before that had direct tv for 12yrs. I had to call every year and haggle over the price. They treat existing customers like crap. They finally said they would not discount my plan anymore. So, i left for dish. Same issue with dish after 2 yrs. These 2 companies are so stupid no wonder they are going under. We find youtube tv has everything we need. What they don’t have, you don’t really miss. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoth1972 View Post
You could keep Dish up North and use their Dish Anywhere app on your Smart TV when at the Villages for free. Just download from Google Play Store to your TVs. It seems your Hopper up North.
I have tried using the Dish Anywhere thru my firestick and the picture is terrible. Maybe it would work better using it on the smart TV.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
Agree… I have now been streaming YoutubeTV for about 2 years and we love it. And for those who say you can’t type in the channel number, as I watch about 10 of the 100s of channels you can reorder your favorites to the top of the list and hide those you never watch. And did I say unlimited DVR is included. I was able to add additional packages as needed like for $10 I add the sports package to get NFLRedZone during the 4 months of football season to watch my northern team and then drop it come January. Also we added the 4K package during the Olympics for just the one month.

I did have Dish back in Colorado for years and saved about $1000 a year (1 Hopper and 3 Joeys with a slightly upgraded service) by switching to YoutubeTV.

Also, if you are a hard core NFL fan (I am not hard core) DirectTV was the only place to get the NFL package. Next year, it’s moving to YoutubeTV.

I would verify that if you want some special channel, check first but for me, YouTube TV has it all that I need.
Was thinking of signing up to youtube TV. I like that it has Disney and many others that I'd watch. What about hi-def/4k... does it cover a lot of channels or just a few select?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,065 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
Was thinking of signing up to youtube TV. I like that it has Disney and many others that I'd watch. What about hi-def/4k... does it cover a lot of channels or just a few select?
YTTV has all the channels that cable TV has. No cables, no boxes on the TVs you want. You can watch it anywhere, even take it when you travel and visit friends and family. Power out? No problem, they do the recording. Unlimited recording of your shows. I watch on Firesticks, because I like the interface. I can also watch on my phone and tablet. It does 4k.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Direct TV just dropped Newsmax if that is any consideration to you and YouTube TV just picked up a few more stations, Grit, Bounce and Me TV.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by END OTT View Post
Have Spectrum for inter-net and TV not satisfied with DVR (box for each TV non inter-connected) Had Direct TV and not satisfied and would like input on Dish TV
try youtubetv...... why do you continue to use what is old and not worth it?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Direct tv sucks. I’ve had Dish for decades except when I moved 12 years ago when I went with direct tv for 2 months.
Direct tv lied to me on what they provided because I told them I was with disk for decades before this and after they failed to provide enough equipment to get close to what Dish provided I dropped them. I can tell you what the benefits are of dish over direct tv but it would take 1000’s of words, but here are a few things: direct tv can record 5 simultaneous shows, Dish 16, I can hook up multiple usb hard drives for extra recording storage, direct is limited to 1 esata drive which is not the typical hard drive you have laying around the house and limited to 1, Dish has hoopergo units so you can transfer shows to these external battery powered drives to take with you to watch shows/movies where you don’t have internet, I was in Europe watching live and recorded programs off our dish hopper3, I can go on and on.

I’m a techie and I compare Dish to all the different streaming services every year and so far none of them as a single service can compare to Dish. For us, EVERY streaming service has inadequate recording capabilities: either small storage space/or number of shows you can record, short amount of time your recording are available before they are deleted, and other issues.
Not 1 streaming service had all the shows we both wanted so you need to subscribe to multiple services which increase per month costs.
Sure, Dish might go out for a few mins during a strong storm (much better than years ago) but during these times, you can watch anything that you have recorded since the recording are on your local drive, where when the network goes out, you get nothing since everything is on the internet.
I also make a deal with Dish at every contract renewal date to keep them inline with the costs of multiple streaming services that it would take to get me what dish provides.

Last edited by rsmurano; 01-26-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Have Spectrum for inter-net and TV not satisfied with DVR (box for each TV non inter-connected) Had Direct TV and not satisfied and would like input on Dish TV
direct is good & will lower bill after complaining
Old 01-26-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
We have Spectrum for Internet and use Youtube TV on our smart TV, and with a firestick on our dumb TV. I was a DirecTV subscriber for many years and streaming Youtube TV takes a little getting used to, but it's really easy once you learn. Plus, I think Youtube TV got the next contract for NFL Sunday Ticket (one of the only reasons I kept DirecTV so long) if that interests you.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, dish, satisfied, input, inter-connected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.