Which direction for TV lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Which direction for TV lanai?

I suspect this has been discussed before, but if so I didn't print the replies... and as I get older, I don't remember everything I read (but I try).

Anyway, I would appreciate a mix of replies to the question ... "What is the most desirable lanai-facing direction for a TV home" I suspect it's east...to keep your ice cubes 'stay more intact' during (summer-time) afternoon sunshine. But maybe I'm wrong.

Conversely, I suspect south and west are least desirable. But maybe I'm wrong.

Replies, anyone (and your reasoning).

Gene

ps: Kathy and I will be in TV Feb. 5-12. We'll be doing some house hunting, as we're getting closer to becoming TV frogs.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage

This previous thread just about covers all the options:

Best direction for lanai to face

Bill
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Default RE:Which direction for TV lanai?

I think all directions will have some good and better points.

Quote:
"Conversely, I suspect south and west are least desirable. But maybe I'm wrong.
Replies, anyone (and your reasoning)."
My reason for a south, south west veiw. Every night I get the opportunity to watch this from my recliner. addition-2011-022-jpg It is not the least desirable to me.

Village of Duval
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Sage

I have a glassed in Florida room that faces East. The sunrises are wonderful. If you have a West facing lanai, you will get the beautiful sunsets but the afternoon sun can bake you, too.

I prefer East facing.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum member

Ours faces west and I'm hoping that will be the best for us. That means the garage is facing east and since I will be using the garage for glasswork, I hope that will help to keep the heat down in the garage.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new peeps View Post
I think all directions will have some good and better points.

My reason for a south, south west veiw. Every night I get the opportunity to watch this from my recliner. Attachment 1748 It is not the least desirable to me.
DITTO

Find the place of your dreams....it is what it is. Getting the lanai facing in what others think is desirable well, good luck with that.I tried but ended up with the S/SW facing and absolutely LOVE it. The sunsets in the winter are fabulous, we et on the lanai every night we are home atchng the sun go down and it warms us in the cooler days. In the summer the sun sets more in the northern sky so it doesn't hit us that hard.

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Any which way

Sounds as if any one of these directions will work for the lanai to face:

N, S, E, W

I wonder if the direction the lanai faces impacts the selling price of a home in TV? I would think it would. ??

Gene
Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Gene,

When we were looking for a house, one of the requirements was that the lanai face east. We liked a few spec homes, but they all had west facing lanais. We finally built in Sanibel and have an east facing lanai.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Kathy

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Go east, young man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyzapp View Post
Gene,

When we were looking for a house, one of the requirements was that the lanai face east. We liked a few spec homes, but they all had west facing lanais. We finally built in Sanibel and have an east facing lanai.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Kathy
"East" was my original thinking for the lanai, simply to keep the hot afternoon sun shaded on the lanai. But I wasn't sure my thinking was 100% correct for TV, since we don't live there yet (but soon).

I know the sun's placement differs, based on the season. So that was part of the reason for my asking the "directional" question.

That said, do you think (overall) an east-facing TV home has more marketability? It apparently did in your case.

Gene
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage
Default lanai direction

I think that what ever direction your lanai faces you will compensate for the weather. Too hot?? pull the blinds and use it in the AM. To cool? get one of those outdoor fireplaces or heaters. I think a lanai is beautiful, which ever way it faces. That's one of the reasons I like Florida. You guys have lanais and we have decks. The lanais get much more use than a deck.

The perfect direction is the direction YOURS faces!!! enjoy
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
I suspect this has been discussed before, but if so I didn't print the replies... and as I get older, I don't remember everything I read (but I try).

Anyway, I would appreciate a mix of replies to the question ... "What is the most desirable lanai-facing direction for a TV home" I suspect it's east...to keep your ice cubes 'stay more intact' during (summer-time) afternoon sunshine. But maybe I'm wrong.

Conversely, I suspect south and west are least desirable. But maybe I'm wrong.

Replies, anyone (and your reasoning).

Gene

ps: Kathy and I will be in TV Feb. 5-12. We'll be doing some house hunting, as we're getting closer to becoming TV frogs.
I was wondering the same thing. It will be intresting to see what others have to say about this.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
I was wondering the same thing. It will be intresting to see what others have to say about this.
Tommy we'll be there the 12-19 to design it with the designers!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Tommy we'll be there the 12-19 to design it with the designers!
Luckey you! I am sure it will be a very intresting process.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Last year I went through many different threads on this issue and came up with the following summary. Remember, this is a summary from others' opinioins, so please don't flame me as I'm just the messenger:

North - Less sun on the lanai at all year round. Plus, in the winter FL gets some north winds, which can make this direction overly cool on winter days. Best direction for those who don’t like much sun.

South - All seasons this seems to be the best overall direction as both the Summer heat and Winter cool are moderated. Year round residents usually like this best.

East - Gets early sun; cooler in the afternoons. Nice if you like to have early morning coffee on the lanai and enjoy the early morning sun. Some home models will have a bright master bedroom in the morning as many have a patio door from the master bedroom to the lanai.

West - Cool in the morning; can be very hot in the afternoons. Can be unbearable in lanai. Best if you enjoy heat and don’t want to eat dinner on the lanai. This is the direction that many people complain about, but some love it. Great view of sunsets.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Sage
Default Happy with house direction

I believe ours faces Northwest which is fine with us. We are from the Upstate NY and 80 here is HOT! So, with that said, I was happy not to have my home facing the sun much. The humidity and heat will be a challenge for us. I wonder if after living there for a while will I wish if faced a different direction with more sun?? Probably, but we'll make adjustments. My mother in law, who lives a few miles away from TV, said it was cool there at 65. I had to chuckle because at 65 degrees I have my shorts on! I'm just happy that I'll be able to call it home.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.