Directv,cable and Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Default Directv,cable and Internet

Thinking about getting directv for the sports, and using Brighthouse for Internet and basic cable for those times when directv goes out.

Anybody doing this and if so what is best way to minimize the cost?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I don't have brighthouse because I'm north of 466a. your plan isn't a bad one. for costs alone, you might get a better deal bundlng directv with centurytel. best wishes.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
Thinking about getting directv for the sports, and using Brighthouse for Internet and basic cable for those times when directv goes out for phone and internet. I very seldom lose Directv, if it's a heavy shower I find that if I go from the HD channel to the SD channel the picture and sound will come back. It has to be a major monsoon to lose it all, and if so it's not ususally for more than a few minutes.

Anybody doing this and if so what is best way to minimize the cost?
We have Directv but I bundle with Century Link for home phone and internet. We have phone with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call block and internet without a modem (to the curb) at 10mpbs download speed. The two together is $59.99 plus tax, which comes to about $75 total. You have to live below CR466A to get brighthouse, otherwise it's Comcast and Century Link I believe is throughout.

If you're new with Directv you can get specials, for one you can give them my account number and we'll both get $100 off our bill. As far as bundling, I saw on my Directv homepage a discount for bundling but when I signed up with Century Link last year it was only $5 a month for me. They have NFL Sunday Ticket this year for only $199 but it doesn't include 'Red Zone', that's $100 more if you want that. Also right now they have a free HD-DVR ($199 value) then you pay $8 a month more for DVR service.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 AM

I continue to have problems with Century Link slowing down in the evening -- sometimes running at 1 MBPS. Too slow for Netflix. Am I the only one? Are their options?
Maryland and Nebraska
FEAR the Turtle and Go Big Red
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaRon View Post
I continue to have problems with Century Link slowing down in the evening -- sometimes running at 1 MBPS. Too slow for Netflix. Am I the only one? Are their options?
I've never had any downtime or slow time with Century Link. Do you have what they call 'to the curb'? We have 10 mbps speed with no modem, I plug my router straight into the wall jack. I just did a speed test and it was 10.23 mbps using Atlanta.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaRon View Post
What download speed are you paying for?

There is a 1.5 Mbps service.

We have the 10 Mbps service and can run 2 concurrent Nextflix streams plus a DirecTV live stream to my iPad in the evening with no issues.

All streaming is over wifi.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I have 10 Mbps service. I never get more the 5 Mbps on the speed test using either Miami or Atlanta.

I have not heard of "to the curb" service. What is this? I will discuss with Century Link.
Maryland and Nebraska
FEAR the Turtle and Go Big Red
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

How important is it not to have access to the The Villages channel since we will be newbees?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Default Phone line

UOTE=John_W;524169]We have Directv but I bundle with Century Link for home phone and internet. We have phone with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call block and internet without a modem (to the curb) at 10mpbs download speed. The two together is $59.99 plus tax, which comes to about $75 total. You have to live below CR466A to get brighthouse, otherwise it's Comcast and Century Link I believe is throughout.

If you're new with Directv you can get specials, for one you can give them my account number and we'll both get $100 off our bill. As far as bundling, I saw on my Directv homepage a discount for bundling but when I signed up with Century Link last year it was only $5 a month for me. They have NFL Sunday Ticket this year for only $199 but it doesn't include 'Red Zone', that's $100 more if you want that. Also right now they have a free HD-DVR ($199 value) then you pay $8 a month more for DVR service.[/QUOTE]

Is a phone line required to get on demand shows with directv? Is it required for anything with directv. We use our cell phones only and don't have a landline
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Overall you should not see much difference at any time of the day with DSL. With cable this can happen. Our DSL equipment should handle whatever speed you are paying for. Now that doesn't mean the server you are connecting to isn't having issues. I try different web sites to see if I have troubles with all or just one or two.
For example...lately Yahoo has been slow. MSN,,,FAST. Also, with everyone downloading movies, pictures, etc. , etc. I have seen our main equipment being over worked. We are upgrading constantly. Call our Tech support and report your trouble. They can check your speed. We have VERY GOOD tech support! Even though we have issues...CL is very good. Bundleing can save money also. Good Luck! Old Telephone guy from Iowa,,, Doug
Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Is a phone line required to get on demand shows with directv? Is it required for anything with directv. We use our cell phones only and don't have a landline
I'm pretty sure you'll need a telephone line to get on demand. Their movies are $4.99 and since I can go to Redbox for $1.20 at Sweetbay I never considered watching a PPV movie from Directv. I've had Directv for six years and I have seen lists of the free on-demand movies but I've either already seen them or didn't want to see them, so a phone line has never been something I've considered before. That's one area that Comcast probably has over Directv.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM

With the new Directv receivers, a phone line is not needed. Everything is done through the satellite

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.