Discrimination By The Daily Sun Against Homes North of 466

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Discrimination By The Daily Sun Against Homes North of 466

At a recent party we attended discussion arose about The Daily Sun's recent practice of selectively restricting distribution of advertising/coupon sections to the older areas of The Villages. A Daily Sun Employee who was present stated that inserts are being withheld in all of the Historic area, most of the other Villages in Lake County and "quite a few of the other areas north of Hy 466.
If you noticed in the last couple of weeks that your coupon inserts dropped from the usual two or three to only one or two, your Village is on "the list". Apparently The Daily Sun is of the opinion that the residents of the villages with older build out dates no longer spend enough money to be worthy of such coupon/advertising inserts.
It was also stated that apparently some people have already noticed this practice and have called in with complaints and the complaints are being noted.
If you believe your area is being denied acess to the full offerings of The Daily Sun, I suggest that you call the business office to make your dislikes known. 753-1119
As one of our neighbors mentioned, "without equal access to all the coupons, our cost of living just went up"
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage
Angry

Granted the Daily Sun is the developer's marketing tool, and the developer is free to limit coupon distribution and restrict news reporting; however, why would anyone pay to support this propaganda sheet? Let the developer rely on advertising revenue and distribute the paper for free.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
At a recent party we attended discussion arose about The Daily Sun's recent practice of selectively restricting distribution of advertising/coupon sections to the older areas of The Villages. A Daily Sun Employee who was present stated that inserts are being withheld in all of the Historic area, most of the other Villages in Lake County and "quite a few of the other areas north of Hy 466.
If you noticed in the last couple of weeks that your coupon inserts dropped from the usual two or three to only one or two, your Village is on "the list". Apparently The Daily Sun is of the opinion that the residents of the villages with older build out dates no longer spend enough money to be worthy of such coupon/advertising inserts.
It was also stated that apparently some people have already noticed this practice and have called in with complaints and the complaints are being noted.
If you believe your area is being denied acess to the full offerings of The Daily Sun, I suggest that you call the business office to make your dislikes known. 753-1119
As one of our neighbors mentioned, "without equal access to all the coupons, our cost of living just went up"
.....Do you suppose the insert "consolidator" has specific Zip Codes
for "some" inserts ........South of CR466 is Zip 32162
..much of North of CR 466 and the Historic side is Zip...32159.
...Inserts by Zip had been industry standard years ago...Maybe still is ???
..One of my cuzzins (from the smarter side of the family).......
used to be an insert "consolidator" before she retired.
I AGREE with you...Be a squeaky gate.....Call those who can fix things.
By The Way.... .."WE" live SOUTH of 466 because "SHE" wanted to.
( If Mama's not happy....ain't nobody happy )
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

if we knew what inserts we are missing we could call the advertiser[s] and let them know we have been cut off from distribution! i'd like to hear those phone calls to the daily sun offices!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM

I have noticed a decrease in coupon inserts lately but didn't think I was targeted. I was not getting the Walgreen's insert and complained at the store. Was told I was not the first one and they took my address. Am getting them now. I will contact the Daily Sun as I use coupons alot. BTW my zip is 32162 and live north of 466 so if there is selective distribution it may be on a route by route basis.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Didn't notice a decline in inserts, if there has been I'm happy..............less trash to carry to the curb.
Isn't it amazing the things that can get people all in a tizzy?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM

I very seldom rant but you've got to be kidding me. The newspaper doesn't provide the cupon inserts for the paper. They simply insert the cupons that are provided them for a fee. Who gets the cupons is none of their concern. If certain areas are left out I assure you the advertisers of the cupons view the return they get are not worth the cost of printing and insertion.

Come on people, the developer is not trying to take your cupons away.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Distribution of all inserts - including coupons - is determined by the ADVERTISER - not the Daily Sun.

The Daily Sun is paid to distribute these inserts. Obviously they would prefer more of them.

The notion that The Daily Sun or the "Developer" can control stuff like this seems far-fetched.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTexan View Post
Distribution of all inserts - including coupons - is determined by the ADVERTISER - not the Daily Sun.

The Daily Sun is paid to distribute these inserts. Obviously they would prefer more of them.

The notion that The Daily Sun or the "Developer" can control stuff like this seems far-fetched.
I agree. As mentioned earlier the distribution is by zip code and controlled by the advertiser paying for the insert(s).
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum member

What a tempest in a tea pot!

I'm all for no inserts as they use paper, which means lost trees.

I'm all for no inserts as that'd reduce the weight when I take my newspapers to Hope Lutheran's recycling center.

Would I miss coupons? Hardly.

So many are for things for which this crusty old single guy has no use.

So many which require that I buy two of something that I don't really even want one of!

'Nuf said!

SWR
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Gold member

I've noticed the same thing lately. Some Sundays I don't have all the sale ads and the coupons have been way down. That's a shame since I do use the coupons and the ones I don't go to Operation Shoebox.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.