Dish vs Direct vs Comcast, etc

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Sage
Default Dish vs Direct vs Comcast, etc

I tried to search for this information 'cause I remember reading threads about these questions, but for the life of me can't find anything.

So bare with me as I request information on Dish and Direct. I currently have Comcast and think their pricing is out of control. Have had Direct in another location and was happy with them, but am leaning towards Dish who I have no experience with. Any input would be appreciated.

I know about the outages with storm, so this isn't really an issue for me.

Thanks for any information you might provide.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM

i am wondering the same thing. comcast is very expensive
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Other than price, we never had a bit of problem with Comcast here. However when AAA advertised a very attractive DirecTV discount, we made the switch. We have had VERY infrequent outages due to storms and certainly not enough to warrant another change - probably less than we had with DirecTV 'up north' with snow/ice on the antenna. I believe the picture quality to be equivalent to Comcast but the big advantages for us are:
  • A larger library of 'On Demand' content.
  • 2-3 channels of 3D content.
  • We have music playing a lot and DirecTV has a bigger selection of music channels + access to Pandora.

So far, we are very satisfied with DirecTV and have no reason to change.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markam View Post
Other than price, we never had a bit of problem with Comcast here. However when AAA advertised a very attractive DirecTV discount, we made the switch. We have had VERY infrequent outages due to storms and certainly not enough to warrant another change - probably less than we had with DirecTV 'up north' with snow/ice on the antenna. I believe the picture quality to be equivalent to Comcast but the big advantages for us are:
  • A larger library of 'On Demand' content.
  • 2-3 channels of 3D content.
  • We have music playing a lot and DirecTV has a bigger selection of music channels + access to Pandora.

So far, we are very satisfied with DirecTV and have no reason to change.

Good luck
What do you do about your high speed internet access?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM

I have Direct-tv & comcast for phone & internet
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to rick2071

Had Comcast, direct tv and dish very happy now with centurylink. Saved almost $70.00 when I switched from Comcast to Century
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to rick2071

Comcast phone service goes through the Internet. You can get magic jack for $20 a year after the purchase of their connected approx 76.00
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 AM

We just switched from Direct TV to Comcast. We have had both Comcast and Direct TV in other parts of the country and have alway preferred Direct until we moved here. Although we almost never lost satellite reception "up north" we found we lost it several times each month during the heavy rains that occur in the summer. Reception was typically restored in less than an hour, but it just became frustrating. We also decided that during bad storms, we wanted to be able to watch the weather reports and we often could not do that with Direct TV because of the loss reception. We were able to get a 2 yr deal for TV and Internet with comcast that is about $10/month less than we were paying with Direct TV and Comcast for internet however, the biggest factor in our decision was the periodic lost recption of Direct TV
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM

I live south of 466A so have Brighhouse cable, internet an phone. I had Direct TV in Alaska, almost no outages and we had bad storms. When I did have an outage I just used my DVR recordings to watch till it came back on. I have to say I preferred Direct TV, I think the channel line up is better, technology on the guide better and app worked. I like to record remotely from my Iphone. Brighthouse has a number of issues with there website - My Services and apps (which they admit to) and I'm tired of calling them to get things to work. So, may switch next year for my TV and keep Brighthouse for phone and internet. Can't say much about Comcast, haven't used it in years, my Mom has it and no problems.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts
Default For TV, DirecTV Can't Be Beat

I was a very happy DirecTV subscriber up north. For whatever reason, I subscribed to Comcast when we first came here seven years ago. After a couple frustrating years of lousy channels and service, i signed up for DirecTV and Embarq for phone, keeping Comcast only for internet. Since then, I've switched my phone to Comcast, as well.

While I'm pretty sure Comcast has improved both their choice of channels as well as service quality since then, there's no way I would ever get rid of DirecTV. Their channel lineup and HD service is spectacular. And their knowegeable 24/7 service can't be beat. Certainly not by Comcast's frustrating, long wait, automated customer service.

Just a note to any readers here who are considering DirecTV. Send me a private message and I'll give you my account number to use when you sign up. It has to be entered when you first sign up. If you provide my account number, you will get a $10 per month discount on your DirecTV bill forever. And so will I!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
What do you do about your high speed internet access?
Be very careful regarding broadband service. Only Comcast has truly fast cable speed. If you aggressively inquire about signal speed from ANY of the other providers, you'll find that at best they get signal speeds of 10 Mbps or less. I get regular speeds fom Comcast that are always in the 24-26 Mbps range. If all you do is e-mail you won't notice a difference. But if you do any serious 'surfing', Comcast is the only way to go.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Angry Dish vs Direct vs Comcast, etc

I am a snowbird from Mi, at first we had no problems were here in the villages and had them install here also ... was supposed to be free if we just brought our receiver from Mi with us ... they installed it and charged us $100 we fought it and won .... then they decided to drop the AMC channel and did, they often drop channels when ever they like, however I see AMC is back ... this past week they droped the the Big 10 network and now want us to pay and additional $9 month for that ... we are in a two year contract and they said we should have read the fine print that they can drop and change programming any time they want ... we were already paying extra for the big ten ... channels come and go, if it rains no reception, no advance notice of when channels go ... we used to have brighthouse when we rented here and will go back to them when our dish contract is over ... if you sign a contract make sure you have what channels your going to get for the entire contract ... we learned the hard way
good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire1 View Post
I am a snowbird from Mi, at first we had no problems were here in the villages and had them install here also ... was supposed to be free if we just brought our receiver from Mi with us ... they installed it and charged us $100 we fought it and won .... then they decided to drop the AMC channel and did, they often drop channels when ever they like, however I see AMC is back ... this past week they droped the the Big 10 network and now want us to pay and additional $9 month for that ... we are in a two year contract and they said we should have read the fine print that they can drop and change programming any time they want ... we were already paying extra for the big ten ... channels come and go, if it rains no reception, no advance notice of when channels go ... we used to have brighthouse when we rented here and will go back to them when our dish contract is over ... if you sign a contract make sure you have what channels your going to get for the entire contract ... we learned the hard way
good luck
Not sure whose service you have - Dish, Direct, or Comcast?

And welcome to TOTV!!

Thanks -
Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

do any snowbirds who have comcast in their northern nest transfer their service from there to the villages when snowbirding? when we return north we increase our subscription to the premiere level we had before and i get the promotional rate for that service for at least 6 mos. tech told me to do it that way so as to get the promo rate upon return - cheaper than putting the account on vacation and not getting the promo rate thru restoration.

we currently put our nj comcast account all the way down to limited basic cable when we leave for the villages. then we activate our less comprehensive fl comcast account for the period of time we are snowbirding. when we fly north we put the fl comcast on vacation/seasonal since we don't return again until the following winter season.

all of that saves us some $$ - but it does limit viewing for hubs when snowbirding. just wondering if it is worth it to forego the savings and increase his snowbirding viewing pleasure if an account transfer can be done.

Last edited by njbchbum; 01-06-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM

All my friends with Dish TV are crying and coming to my house because I have Directv and they don't get FOX with Dish TV.

That means no Cotton Bowl, NFL playoff games, and all the normal programs that FOX airs.

Apparently Ruppert Murdoch and NewsCorp are in a pi**ing match with Dish TV over fees.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.