District I has authorized a study on MMTP along Morse Blvd.

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default District I has authorized a study on MMTP along Morse Blvd.

District One has contracted the services of Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., to perform an alternative evaluation and report
to investigate options that may allow for separation of the existing multi-modal transportation path (MMTP) from the automobile travel way along Morse Boulevard, from CR 466 to just south of El Camino Real/Paige Place (a distance of 2.7 miles +/-), and to investigate options for MMTP operational improvements within the study area.
A previous study was conducted in 2008 before the resurfacing and reconstruction project was performed by Sumter County in 2009.
To the extent possible, this study will be utilized as background information for this Project. Morse Boulevard is owned and maintained by Sumter County. Coordination with Sumter County will be necessary for any improvements proposed within their right-of- way.
Representatives from Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., will
provide the District One Board of Supervisors and Residents with
an overview of the proposed scope of work for this project at the District One Board Meeting, scheduled at 8:00 a.m., on Friday, February 10, 2023, at the Savannah Center Regional Recreation Center. This is an opportunity for residents to ask questions regarding the scope of work of this project, or provide any other information, recommendations, or other feedback which would help Kimley-Horn with the final project delivery.

As reported in District Bulletin
https://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/...20230202001301
Old 02-02-2023, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have looked at the land on both sides of the road, as well as existing golf cart paths that could be used. I have no idea of the right of way requirements, or ownership issues, or possible drainage concerns, but it appears that this could be done. However, there will be concerns about how the golf carts will cross the streets that connect to Morse Blvd, in many cases there does not appear to be sufficient land to move the golf cart part away from the intersections. I think this may be one of the biggest problems. I also hope they eliminate or lessen the impacts of the golf cart crossing just North of 466.
It will be interesting to see what comes out of the study.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I also hope they eliminate or lessen the impacts of the golf cart crossing just North of 466.
I drive a cart across that at least 3 times a week, I never liked it, I still don't. It's way too busy.

If they just eliminated that part of it, the rest isn't nearly as bad. A NB cart flyover would be fine with me. SB isn't a big deal, just turn right and off you go. I come out of San Marino so I've got a light...the people in the developments from San Marino to 466 have to cross over and if there was a tunnel or something somewhere, it'd be much better for them.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I drive a cart across that at least 3 times a week, I never liked it, I still don't. It's way too busy.

If they just eliminated that part of it, the rest isn't nearly as bad. A NB cart flyover would be fine with me. SB isn't a big deal, just turn right and off you go. I come out of San Marino so I've got a light...the people in the developments from San Marino to 466 have to cross over and if there was a tunnel or something somewhere, it'd be much better for them.
The meeting is 2/10….
Old 02-02-2023, 10:27 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have looked at the land on both sides of the road, as well as existing golf cart paths that could be used. I have no idea of the right of way requirements, or ownership issues, or possible drainage concerns, but it appears that this could be done. However, there will be concerns about how the golf carts will cross the streets that connect to Morse Blvd, in many cases there does not appear to be sufficient land to move the golf cart part away from the intersections. I think this may be one of the biggest problems. I also hope they eliminate or lessen the impacts of the golf cart crossing just North of 466.
I believe one of the big problems is who is going to bear the cost of such improvements - the Developer. the County, amenity fees and/or a combination of all three? Wonder if there is any safety grant funding from County or State.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

I was driving a car on Morse the other day, from 466 to the 441 light, and then again in the other direction. I was wondering about the logistics of putting an MMP along Morse. I wasn't even thinking about how to get across, I was just thinking about running the path somewhere.
The first thing that struck me was how many trees they'd have to cut down, and if they could be replaced. There isn't much room along the sides of Morse for an MMP. One could probably be crammed in there somewhere, but if they have to cut down all of those trees, it will be UGLY.

My guess is that this will turn out to be cost prohibitive , even without esthetics considered.
The good news is that generally, cars don't speed on that road. My experience is that automobile traffic is very mindful of the carts, and generally anticipate that carts will need to cross over at that point southbound before the 466 shack.

Perhaps the simplest, and most cost-effective measure would be to just widen the cart lane so there is a tad more room for both cars and carts. Of course, that might just encourage cars to go faster.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
The good news is that generally, cars don't speed on that road. My experience is that automobile traffic is very mindful of the carts, and generally anticipate that carts will need to cross over at that point southbound before the 466 shack.

Perhaps the simplest, and most cost-effective measure would be to just widen the cart lane so there is a tad more room for both cars and carts. Of course, that might just encourage cars to go faster.
I disagree that cars do not speed and are watchful for carts. I travel that Morse daily as it's the only to get south from where I live. Especially at rush hour auto traffic is way over 30 mph. I know this because after engouh time traveling you can pretty much know what 30 mph looks like passing you. The other issue is landscape trailers that are wider than the towing vehicle. I agree making the cart path wider would help create distance between the cart and the auto.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
District One has contracted the services of Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., to perform an alternative evaluation and report
to investigate options that may allow for separation of the existing multi-modal transportation path (MMTP) from the automobile travel way along Morse Boulevard, from CR 466 to just south of El Camino Real/Paige Place (a distance of 2.7 miles +/-), and to investigate options for MMTP operational improvements within the study area.
A previous study was conducted in 2008 before the resurfacing and reconstruction project was performed by Sumter County in 2009.
To the extent possible, this study will be utilized as background information for this Project. Morse Boulevard is owned and maintained by Sumter County. Coordination with Sumter County will be necessary for any improvements proposed within their right-of- way.
an overview of the proposed scope of work for this project at the District One Board Meeting, scheduled at 8:00 a.m., on Friday, February 10, 2023, at the Savannah Center Regional Recreation Center. This is an opportunity for residents to ask questions regarding the scope of work of this project, or provide any other information, recommendations, or other feedback which would help Kimley-Horn with the final project delivery.

This will not change. Anyone in the Sawgrass area will tell you the dangers of Meggison Rd - which will be a route to the Florida Turnpike. One lane (and golf cart lane), no lights, no stop signs, and no traffic circles for miles - and no MMTP. When asked. the response is "that is how it is on Morse Blvd North of 466." This is not true, of course. There are lights up north and gated entrances to villages - there are no gate south of Sawgrass. Oh, and there is no turnpike.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:08 AM
Default Cost of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I believe one of the big problems is who is going to bear the cost of such improvements - the Developer. the County, amenity fees and/or a combination of all three? Wonder if there is any safety grant funding from County or State.
What is the cost of a life? Let's ask the families of Francis Hughes, James Kardis and Barbara Lawless who were killed in golf carts after interfacing with cars. Good thought on safety grant funding.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:14 AM
Default Join Us! Come to The CDD1 Meeting 2/10 @ 8AM

Let our District Supervisors know you want Morse Blvd to be safer. Wear a red shirt so they know you support change for safety.

CDD1, Fri, 2/10, 8AM Savannah Center

https://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/...20230202001301[/QUOTE]
Old 02-04-2023, 08:28 AM
Default Morse Blvd study

Quote:

About time!
Old 02-04-2023, 08:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:

Nice reporting, Bogie, I’m impressed.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:34 AM

If many of the golf cart drivers were aware of the danger of being in a cart and quit pulling out in front of cars it might be safer. Traffic is heavy, I used to live off Rio Grande, and am glad I am not there anymore. Plus I saw many carts on the white line driving when they should hug the grassy area, These things would make a difference.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:45 AM

Even though District I is leading this cause, we need all other Districts to show up in support of our efforts. Morse Boulevard affects all Villagers.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
The developer has nothing to do with this anymore. It has been turned over to the County decades ago. The deveopler could donate to the cause but that all they could do. The cost would be to the residence of the county (thru property taxes) or the residence of the Villages (thru our fees). Since this is District 1, I am not sure how cost would be allocated in regard to the other district since, I believe, they are not part of the Districts Wide Committee that share major infrastructure and disaster cost across districts.
Closed Thread

Tags
project, district, study, county, morse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.