TV agents being let go for no reason?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Default TV agents being let go for no reason?

I just got in touch with my TV agent who sold us 2 houses. I was shocked to learn she was let go after so many years working for TV and so have other agents, those older or with more years on the job. They were dismissed without any warnings. What is going on?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

My TV agent worked extremely hard and long long hours. He was given a line to take and could not answer my questions as he (probably) would have liked to. I did not end up buying from him because of the circumstances unfortunately. From newspaper articles they say most people are let go because of their attitude or clash with their boss.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It's $$$ All About The Benjamin's. $$$
Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jojo~ View Post
I just got in touch with my TV agent who sold us 2 houses. I was shocked to learn she was let go after so many years working for TV and so have other agents, those older or with more years on the job. They were dismissed without any warnings. What is going on?
Does anyone ever get fired and then say "I was a lousy employee"? or "I would have fired me too"? Just curious.

Another thought ...... think they were making the developer too much money?

As always - I'm Anyway I hope your agent comes out of this okay.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jojo~ View Post
Something is missing. If an older worker is fired for no reason, they should get a lawyer and sue for age discrimination. It is illegal.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Cool Something's Amiss Within Villages Real Estate???

Wow! That is horrible but there has to be a reason. Could it be that they weren't producing enough? Or should have been doing something, but didn't.

That is usually the reason that will happen with real estate agents.
Or perhaps there was a situation and the broker had to take the heat?

I think there probably are many strange things about what goes on within The Villages real estate.

At one time they cooperateD with outside brokers and then they suddenly seemed to get too big for their britches and decided they wanted the entire pie as opposed to splitting it with another broker (the MLS Realtors). They quit belonging to the local Assn. of Realtors and the National Assn. of Realtors, as well, and decided to do business on their own.

That, of course, made it more troublesome for buyers, but particularly sellers. If you list with a TV agent, an outside agent could no longer show or sell your property. That cut out ALL MLS Realtors -- an entire segment of agents from selling within the real estate market. By adhering to this practice, they are doing a horrible disservice to all sellers. It's really a shame.

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 07-21-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
It's $$$ All About The Benjamin's. $$$
Of course it is.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

OP asked "What is going on?"
And as usual a multitude of opinions are expressed and as usual it is the developers fault.
Don't see how developer can be blamed anymore at this point than the agent that was let go.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Something is missing. If an older worker is fired for no reason, they should get a lawyer and sue for age discrimination. It is illegal.
Oh come on.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Clearly a business decision was made. What business does not do this on occasion? It really could simply be that they decided to reduce personnel. Cutting across all ages avoids any perception of discrimination. So - some older, some younger, some long term, some short term.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Platinum member

I think TV management is far too savvy to fire people based on their age. That would be stupid. I didn’t realize they were actual employees. I would have thought independent contractors.

In any case, I think we’re missing part of the story.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Clearly a business decision was made. What business does not do this on occasion? It really could simply be that they decided to reduce personnel. Cutting across all ages avoids any perception of discrimination. So - some older, some younger, some long term, some short term.
Reducing personnel by cutting across all ages is perfectly legal. But, that is not what the OP said. The OP did not say that they reduced overall personnel at all. The OP said they fired older people for no reason. That would be illegal, and there have been many successful lawsuits for illegal age discrimination. It violates Federal law.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would imagine that only applies to federal, state, county, and city jobs. I would think private companies could manage their workforce as they see fit. Most jobs are got by networking or neptunium, probably not connected enough?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I would imagine that only applies to federal, state, county, and city jobs. I would think private companies could manage their workforce as they see fit. Most jobs are got by networking or neptunium, probably not connected enough?
That is not true. The Federal age descrimination law applies to private companies. One company that lost a huge age descrimination lawsuit was Xerox. I also believe that some airlines have been sued by flight attendants for the same thing. Other companies include Ikea, IBM, Lockheed-Martin, and others.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Isn't that a chemical element?
Closed Thread

Tags
agents, years, warnings, dismissed, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.