Do developers listen or care

Old 05-26-2024, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
It seems that many complain about the developer. Houses are sitting and discounts are not working. Now Moultrie Creek is over priced and starting to sit.

Why are the developers so rigid? I was told they won't help w closing or any points. No haggling of any kind?
OP just took a drive to MC, every lot released had a name and sold in the first 5 minutes. Apparently even $150,000 lots plus house cost isn’t going to be sitting.

But the just released PV section is now available.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
OP just took a drive to MC, every lot released had a name and sold in the first 5 minutes. Apparently even $150,000 lots plus house cost isn’t going to be sitting.

But the just released PV section is now available.
Many places, buying the lowest cost home on the block gives the best opportunity for gains.

Just the opposite here, good location, view, 3 car garage will likely do far better than money in the bank.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,444 Times in 5,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedSox! View Post
I just do not agree that the number of people who want to or are able to come to The Villages is decreasing.

A record number of Americans are turning 65 in 2024. The most in history. Of the entire baby boom generation, this is the highest. 4.1 million Americans turn 65 this year, and every year through 2027, when the annual number will start to decrease.

Put another way, 11,233 people are turning 65 every single day in this country.

Additionally, in the first quarter of 2024, Fidelity had 485,000 401(k) millionaires. This number was up 15% from Q4 2023, and up 43% since Q1 2023.

I don't think the demand will be going down the least bit. There are some places in the country where it's not as fast or easy to sell your home as it was a year ago, largely due to mortgage interest rates. That could be slowing things down a bit.

I believe those homes in Richmond are going to sell in a frenzy as soon as they become available.

It is astonishing to me how much work is being done from horizon to horizon as far as the eye can see as soon as one goes over the Bexley Bridge. The Villages is going to be selling a lot of homes down there in the coming years. I do think the developers listen and I do think they care. I continue to marvel as how well built and maintained The Villages is. There are a myriad of examples of places that the Developer could have cheaped out or cut corners. They continue to preserve open space and maintain stunning beauty all over. The place is pristinely clean and the flowers are still changed out every quarter. Those homes are going to sell, after the pace of sales during the pandemic, it was bound to normalize somewhat. I have no data to back this up, but I also don't think the developer has to spend very much on advertising and marketing. I never see ads for The Villages....this place sells on word-of-mouth and reputation and YouTubers.
Do not always agree with what the developer does but have to admit they have done a brilliant job building the Villages
Old 05-26-2024, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,083 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I was referring to south of 44.
Bottle neck still needs fixed too.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,138 Times in 4,240 Posts

Does the developer listen or care?

Just look at Florida developments where "the developer" built and left---you'll have your answer.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Many places, buying the lowest cost home on the block gives the best opportunity for gains.

Just the opposite here, good location, view, 3 car garage will likely do far better than money in the bank.
Not always true. Many preowned homes with large garages and views have been sitting on MLS and VLS for months. Many with large price reductions. If you haven't noticed, inventory on preowned homes is GROWING every day.Your home must be beyond special to see a sizeable profit.

Buyers with $1 million plus budgets are not fools. They are SELECTIVE buyers. Very few will plunck down an extra $200-$300 thousand on a preowned a seller has overpriced. Most will buy a lot from the Developer and build. There is 15 + years of continued building remaining. The Developer will continue to be the winner. All who believe a large profit on their resale is a guarantee is gambling. Many will lose.

My advice: Never buy a home with a big profit in mind. Buy a home you can see yourself living in for many years. Also, keep in mind an expensive home has expensive monthly costs. Before buying, decide if it is worth it. The homes are cookie cutter in the Villages. It is your choice to pay significantly more for the same model or not.

Last edited by Randall55; 05-26-2024 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:40 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Not always true. Many preowned homes with large garages and views have been sitting on MLS and VLS for months. Many with large price reductions. If you haven't noticed, inventory on preowned homes is GROWING every day.Your home must be beyond special to see a sizeable profit.

Buyers with $1 million plus budgets are not fools. They are SELECTIVE buyers. Very few will plunck down an extra $200-$300 thousand on a preowned a seller has overpriced. Most will buy a lot from the Developer and build. There is 15 + years of continued building remaining. The Developer will continue to be the winner. All who believe a large profit on their resale is a guarantee is gambling. Many will lose.

My advice: Never buy a home with a big profit in mind. Buy a home you can see yourself living in for many years. Also, keep in mind an expensive home has expensive monthly costs. Before buying, decide if it is worth it. The homes are cookie cutter in the Villages. It is your choice to pay significantly more for the same model or not.
The only large homes with large garages that don't sell quickly are on undesirable lots. Take a look and see how many Woodside or Ivy models are for sale, very, very few and those are the ones on bad lots. The larger more expensive resale homes are selling at high prices because there are no spec homes to buy in that price range and the desirable lots when released are sold usually the same day. There is only one new designer spec home for sale that is over $500,000 and it has kissing lanais.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The only large homes with large garages that don't sell quickly are on undesirable lots. Take a look and see how many Woodside or Ivy models are for sale, very, very few and those are the ones on bad lots. The larger more expensive resale homes are selling at high prices because there are no spec homes to buy in that price range and the desirable lots when released are sold usually the same day. There is only one new designer spec home for sale that is over $500,000 and it has kissing lanais.
There are hundreds if not thousands of homes in the Villages with a view. Competition is fierce. This is one of the reasons available preowned inventory is growing. Some are going to make a sizeable profit and others will not. Especially now! If you look at a map of the Eastport area, you will see MANY MANY new construction with views are planned. This only adds to the existing competition.

Most buyers with a million dollar budget will buy a lot and build. Need proof? Premium lots to build are selling out within hours of release. Similar Preowned are sitting on MLS and VLS for months. It is quite easy to see this is going to continue. The winner is the Developer. All others who have huge profits on their resale in mind are taking a risk.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
There are hundreds if not thousands of homes in the Villages with a view. Competition is fierce. This is one of the reasons available preowned inventory is growing. Some are going to make a sizeable profit and others will not. Especially now! If you look at a map of the Eastport area, you will see MANY MANY new construction with views are planned. This only adds to the existing competition.

Most buyers with a million dollar budget will buy a lot and build. Need proof? Premium lots to build are selling out within hours of release. Similar Preowned are sitting on MLS and VLS for months. It is quite easy to see this is going to continue. The winner is the Developer. All others who have huge profits on their resale in mind are taking a risk.
Right now there are only two 4 bedroom homes on the MLS for sale. The Villages pre-owned has 6 Woodside 4 bedroom models for sale and only 2 Ivy 4 bedroom models for sale and zero new builds. Between those 2 models there are only 8 in all of The Villages. They command a premium price and the only reason these few are for sale is there are some undesirable features on them but they will sell. And yes, premium lots are selling as fast as released but there are only a handful of them every month so a lot of the buyers are unable to secure a lot. Anyone that has a 4 bedroom house on a water or golf front lot can just about name their price today and they will realize huge profits if they bought their homes just a few years ago. It's all about availability.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Right now there are only two 4 bedroom homes on the MLS for sale. The Villages pre-owned has 6 Woodside 4 bedroom models for sale and only 2 Ivy 4 bedroom models for sale and zero new builds. Between those 2 models there are only 8 in all of The Villages. They command a premium price and the only reason these few are for sale is there are some undesirable features on them but they will sell. And yes, premium lots are selling as fast as released but there are only a handful of them every month so a lot of the buyers are unable to secure a lot. Anyone that has a 4 bedroom house on a water or golf front lot can just about name their price today and they will realize huge profits if they bought their homes just a few years ago. It's all about availability.
It seems you have an interest in 4 bedroom homes. There are so few in the Villages because they are not that popular. I agree. If you find a buyer who NEEDS 4 bedrooms above all other wants in a home, you will make a tremendous profit. But, buyers looking for 4 bedrooms is a rare breed.

I am talking in general terms. People rushing to buy WHATEVER home or lot they can snatch in the lottery believing they will make a sizeable profit on the resale is gambling. As you noted in your 4 bedroom example, only SPECIAL homes make great profits.

Last edited by Randall55; 05-27-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
It seems you have an interest in 4 bedroom homes. There are so few in the Villages because they are not that popular. I agree. If you find a buyer who NEEDS 4 bedrooms above all other wants in a home, you will make a tremendous profit. But, buyers looking for 4 bedrooms is a rare breed.

I am talking in general terms. People rushing to buy WHATEVER home or lot they can snatch in the lottery believing they will make a sizeable profit on the resale is gambling. As you noted in your 4 bedroom example, only SPECIAL homes make great profits.
And I'm referring to larger more expensive homes. People coming down here from the north used to having a basement find that the 4th bedroom helps to use for crafts, or storage or hobbies, etc. TV is not building them as fast as they were just a year or so ago, DeLuna has lots of them and many with 4-car garages and they sold quickly. For some reason now they are not building them as specs, not because there is no demand for them, probably because they require a larger lot and because of that footprint the bonds are higher but whatever the reason is they are not building them and it's not because of lack of demand. Enough said on my end.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,430 Times in 4,398 Posts

Quote:
And I'm referring to larger more expensive homes. People coming down here from the north used to having a basement find that the 4th bedroom helps to use for crafts, or storage or hobbies, etc. TV is not building them as fast as they were just a year or so ago, DeLuna has lots of them and many with 4-car garages and they sold quickly. For some reason now they are not building them as specs, not because there is no demand for them, probably because they require a larger lot and because of that footprint the bonds are higher but whatever the reason is they are not building them and it's not because of lack of demand. Enough said on my end.
Exactly...

We wanted a 4 BR, 3BA home when we were looking (January, 2021). Very few were available, and those that were available, were getting premiums.

So we "settled" for a 3/2 with an extended 2 car + golf cart garage. It had plenty of upgrades (no carpet, epoxied garage floor, water softener, stained driveway/lanai, custom closets). We got it at a great price, just before the "Covid Mania" hit, and prices went crazy...

Since we're not yet full time, it works for now.

But in the next year or so (I'm fully retiring at the end of the year), if we still feel the need (after spending most of the year in TV), we'll consider upgrading...

Until then, we have a very nice home an a wonderful Village, with some wonderful neighbors...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-27-2024, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,444 Times in 5,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Exactly...

We wanted a 4 BR, 3BA home when we were looking (January, 2021). Very few were available, and those that were available, were getting premiums.

So we "settled" for a 3/2 with an extended 2 car + golf cart garage. It had plenty of upgrades (no carpet, epoxied garage floor, water softener, stained driveway/lanai, custom closets). We got it at a great price, just before the "Covid Mania" hit, and prices went crazy...

Since we're not yet full time, it works for now.

But in the next year or so (I'm fully retiring at the end of the year), if we still feel the need (after spending most of the year in TV), we'll consider upgrading...

Until then, we have a very nice home an a wonderful Village, with some wonderful neighbors...
The advantage of a 4 bedroom is extra room to fit our kids and grandkids when they visit. Last few years we have either rented a snowbirds house for a week or past year an airbnb.

If we had to do it over again think we would have bought a 4 bedroom but thought a larger 3 /2 would do.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,430 Times in 4,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The advantage of a 4 bedroom is extra room to fit our kids and grandkids when they visit. Last few years we have either rented a snowbirds house for a week or past year an airbnb.

If we had to do it over again think we would have bought a 4 bedroom but thought a larger 3 /2 would do.
No grandchildren yet (one in the oven, due in November! ), but we'd like to have more than one couple visit at the same time. 4 people (or more) sharing the same bath can be difficult...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-27-2024, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

North home is 5/4.5. So the thought was 3/2 in TV would work.

It didn’t, we built a Warbler 4/3, so primary in the back and front bedrooms. Great space when parents come for stay, in their own space. Then the 3 kids come without spouses for a week with their own bedroom space. The boys will share a bath giving sister the suite.

They return with spouses, girls invade both bathrooms and boys make do. Plus they can close off their sleep area, and stay up late swimming and watching sports in the lanai. 4/3 definitely a smart move for us

Tags
developers, sit, rigid, told, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.