Do I need a water treatment thingy?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Default Do I need a water treatment thingy?

Hi All,
We'd been in the new house for 24 hours when a very friendly gentleman asked us if he could test our water. He promised it would only take 10 min. but after 45 min., he had made a sales pitch for a water treatment system for about $3500. Now I don't know if I need this or not. He said that the water was very hard and the calcium build up would destroy my pipes, appliances, etc. So, I'm trusting the fine people of TOTV to help me out here. How many people have a water treatment system? Is it necessary?
Thanks for your help,
Ruth in Hadley
Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Default Re: Do I need a water treatment thingy?

Don't let somebody talk you into a system like that, just take a look in your reservior tank of your toilet it is very clean also the water is nice and soft for showers if you have a question on hardness have your water tested for hardness for FREE. Hope this helps

Dave
Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

The types of systems being sold are quite common in areas where folk rely on well water and must also have a purification system. I has such a set-up where I lived in Seminole County because it was rural and did not have hookup capacity to city water.

If you have doubt, there's always the Sumter County Health Dept, Environmental Health at (352) 793-7133. They can even sample-test the water for a small charge.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran member

The potable (drinking) water supplied by TV system is just fine and healthy. I personally found it harder than I like so I installed a water softener on my own. This is a personal thing and by all means don't spend thousands for water that is just fine. I am assuming you are in the Hadley village of TV?? Any further question email me.
Handie :joke:
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I can tell you this...we have a home in Liberty Park and the water is just fine.

I'm very picky about my water. Growing up with city water I was used to fluoridated treated water. Then we moved to the country with well water. It was just awful...rusty and smelly to say the least.

We opted to install a RO (reverse osmosis) system as an added tap for drinking/cooking water (not softened). We also installed a water softener that provided water to all other taps for general use.

I swear by RO and will install the same system when we move to TV permanently (only because I want my water purified to the extreme). As for installing a water softener, I have no problem with the water in TV for general use. Having very dry skin and liking soft water, that is a lot to say for me.

DON'T invest $3500. Explore other options, only after giving TV water a try for a while. Then make a decision as to what you want, if anything, to suit your wants and needs.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Platinum member

Probably should start a new thread but I do have a "water" question. Is there a differential cost for the non-potable water that is used to irrigate and the regular water used in the home?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Gold member

The previous owners of our house had installed a water softener/purifier, so we have no idea what the water would have been like without it. However, our friends moved in two houses away a few months before us and said they found the water sufficiently unpleasant that they felt they had to install such a system. I think it's all a matter of taste; I'm sure the water is healthy. Live with it for a while and see how you like it; that's the best suggestion I can think of.... We are considering adding a RO (reverse osmosis) system to the kitchen sink so as not to be drinking or cooking with 'straight' softened water; this can be done without putting in a water softener as well.

Here in upstate NY, where the typical hardness for buying a water softener (we've been told) is 9-12 grains of hardness. Ours is 26, and believe it or not our nearest neighbors have a hardness of 72; they need a knife and fork for their water! We have no choice but to run a softener for the 'health' of the plumbing, but I crawled under the sink and installed a separate faucet for water straight from the well for drinking and cooking with and going to the icemaker in the fridge as well. Periodically I have to use a file to get out the minerals that clog the spout, but we prefer the taste--and the absence of that trace of salt that the softener adds--for drinking.

And to the most recent post, I think it depends on what part of TV you're in. Where we are in Village of Belvedere (south of CR-466), yes, there are two different water supplies, one for irrigating and the other potable, on different lines of the water bill and costing different rates. I believe this is not the case everywhere in TV.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 AM

I live on the North side of TV and the water is great without any expensive softners or anything.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.