Do our parades require a permit? if not, should they?

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
The roads in and around the squares are maintained by the county. If the roads were private, then the sheriff or police couldn't legally ticket anybody for going through stop signs or traffic signals.
That's the simple explanation.
I think the legal definitions in Florida State Law in regards to how L.L.C.'s functions do allow law enforcement to proceed on the private roads and property in the same manner that they do on City, County and State properties. The roads that run inside the Squares are not maintained by the county.
Neither is the bridge on Morse Blvd. that allows crossing from Rt. 466 to Lake Sumter Landing. That bridge is owned by the Developer and is currently involved in a dispute as to who will foot the bill for repairs. Not a county issue, it is between the Developer and the District the bridge is in.
Brownwood is within the confines of Wildwood and has a police presence that can operate all through Brownwood. If you are drunk and disorderly in Brownwood and get arrested for it, there is a trespassing charge along with any other charges that may be incurred.
In Lake Sumter Landing, it is the county sheriff that has enforcement present and the same charge of trespassing is included. Please note that the Sheriff does not have a satellite office within the confines of Lake Sumter Landing. It is elsewhere.
Spanish Springs is in Lady Lake and hence you see Lady Lake police enforcement there. Once again, a trespassing charge gets included with any other charges that may be incurred by a person.
All the departments can operate on private property, which once again I will point out that the Squares are private property including the roads that go through them.

A thought just came across my mind as I wrote this: Why do all the golf cart parades which are not a part of a scheduled event that is endorsed and planned by The Villages Entertainment / Activities Department always seem to occur at Lake Sumter Landing???

I think it will be very interesting to see what kind of response the Developer(s) will have, if there is any response at all.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I don't own a golf cart and even if I did I wouldn't have participated in the so-called parade even though I do support President Trump. I have better things to do. Even if you aren't a supporter of Trump why should it bother you if others want to show their support? If there was a parade to support Biden I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The extent of outrage shown by the filthy mouthed low IQ woman clearly indicates a mental problem. She and others like her need professional psychological help. I can't imagine what would happen if she was faced with a real problem, instead of some silly parade.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I think the legal definitions in Florida State Law in regards to how L.L.C.'s functions do allow law enforcement to proceed on the private roads and property in the same manner that they do on City, County and State properties. The roads that run inside the Squares are not maintained by the county.
Neither is the bridge on Morse Blvd. that allows crossing from Rt. 466 to Lake Sumter Landing. That bridge is owned by the Developer and is currently involved in a dispute as to who will foot the bill for repairs. Not a county issue, it is between the Developer and the District the bridge is in.
Brownwood is within the confines of Wildwood and has a police presence that can operate all through Brownwood. If you are drunk and disorderly in Brownwood and get arrested for it, there is a trespassing charge along with any other charges that may be incurred.
In Lake Sumter Landing, it is the county sheriff that has enforcement present and the same charge of trespassing is included. Please note that the Sheriff does not have a satellite office within the confines of Lake Sumter Landing. It is elsewhere.
Spanish Springs is in Lady Lake and hence you see Lady Lake police enforcement there. Once again, a trespassing charge gets included with any other charges that may be incurred by a person.
All the departments can operate on private property, which once again I will point out that the Squares are private property including the roads that go through them.

A thought just came across my mind as I wrote this: Why do all the golf cart parades which are not a part of a scheduled event that is endorsed and planned by The Villages Entertainment / Activities Department always seem to occur at Lake Sumter Landing???

I think it will be very interesting to see what kind of response the Developer(s) will have, if there is any response at all.
Sumter is the considered the current population center so easier. When the bridges or completed that might change to Brownwood or there might be multiple parades.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Now that makers sense. Good point. If Democrats want to be heard let them have their own parade. Another time the Villages were lucky the video didn’t get out that had that truck driver parking & coming over to make his point. He was wrong but the one foul mouthed lady just kept screaming nasty language. She made the whole group look bad. One rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It seems to me that there is a difference between an organized parade that requires streets to be closed down and a permit to ignore stop signs red lights and other traffic laws and an informal parade that requires neither of those.

I'm sure that the golf carts in the Trump parade had to obey all of the traffic laws and no streets were officially closed.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:45 AM

while not smart to stand in front of a golf cart the pedestrian always has the right of way
Old 07-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavita View Post
while not smart to stand in front of a golf cart the pedestrian always has the right of way

nope
Old 07-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
So does that thinking apply to trains also?
Old 07-03-2020, 03:31 PM
John41
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
Maybe hire some big, burly out of work bar bouncers to keep the peace? I am kidding of course....
Some big tattooed Harley riders from the Village Nomads would do just fine. Or tear gas, water cannons and rubber bullets from the National Guard.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Correct, pedestrians have the right of way. A pedestrian is a person walking across the road. An obnoxious foul mouthed woman standing in front of a cart to block its passage, while yelling obscenities, is NOT a pedestrian.

It would be a shame to risk damaging a perfectly good golf cart running her over.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So does that thinking apply to trains also?
Definitely not.

A good friend of ours is a retired engineer, after over 40 years of running trains. He said that the last person who committed suicide by stepping in front of his train, just one of quite few in his career, was the deciding factor in him deciding to finally retire. He said it is such a helpless feeling knowing he couldn't do anything about it and that it would be at least a mile to stop the train, before he and the conductor could even get off and go back to check on the person.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:35 AM

PLEASE no more regulation....it is not enforceable anyway and it just leads to more paperwork, bureaucratic delays and issues of what are the conditions to grant a permit.

What type of parade requires what conditions to be approved? Golf Cart parades, Car parade, Segway parade, walking protest parade, animal (horses, dogs, etc) parade? This opens a can of worms we don't need in the villages. Once opened do the worms need a permit?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Correct, pedestrians have the right of way. .

The pedestrian does not always have the right-of-way:
The Florida statue only defines who is required to yield the right-of-way. Pedestrians at crosswalks at signalized intersections must yield if they face a red traffic signal or steady DON'T WALK signal. ... Pedestrians cannot enter the crosswalk at any time they wish.

Tags
parades, support, permit, local, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.