Do people become this rude every year?

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts
Default Do people become this rude every year?

This will be our second season seeing the snowbirds return though I'm not sure last year really counted. We've noticed a marked increase in rudeness in the last couple of weeks; does it always get this way and do we get to enjoy another five months of this?

Just this week:

- Car coming through the Residents gate honked at a cart that had the audacity to pull into the neighborhood rather than crossing the road. The cart didn't impede the car, it was well into the diamond lane before the car reached it, but apparently not sitting and waiting for the car to pass was an offense.

- Car swerving out of the Residents lane and coming through the open gate on the Visitors side without stopping honked at a cart stopped in the center area waiting for exiting cars to pass. Since the incoming car did not stop at the gate it's possible the cart was still part way in the lane when the car reached it which would have caused the car to have to actually slow down after it raced through the open gate.

- Shopper in Publix trying to push my wife out of the way with their cart as (edit) she was looking at the turkey breasts. "I want one of those," seemed be the signal that her time had expired and she was required to move or risk being bumped.

- Shopper exiting Publix making rude comment about me being stopped to load groceries. Not parked, actually sitting in the drivers seat with the vehicle in drive as groceries were actively being loaded but apparently I was inconveniencing them somehow.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 10-29-2021 at 06:50 PM. Reason: mistyped "I" rather than "she"
Old 10-29-2021, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Some people have special powers and can specifically identify snowbirds.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:35 PM
Angry

It's me, me, me.
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
This will be our second season seeing the snowbirds return though I'm not sure last year really counted. We've noticed a marked increase in rudeness in the last couple of weeks; does it always get this way and do we get to enjoy another five months of this?

Just this week:

- Car coming through the Residents gate honked at a cart that had the audacity to pull into the neighborhood rather than crossing the road. The cart didn't impede the car, it was well into the diamond lane before the car reached it, but apparently not sitting and waiting for the car to pass was an offense.

- Car swerving out of the Residents lane and coming through the open gate on the Visitors side without stopping honked at a cart stopped in the center area waiting for exiting cars to pass. Since the incoming car did not stop at the gate it's possible the cart was still part way in the lane when the car reached it which would have caused the car to have to actually slow down after it raced through the open gate.

- Shopper in Publix trying to push my wife out of the way with their cart as I was looking at the turkey breasts. "I want one of those," seemed be the signal that her time had expired and she was required to move or risk being bumped.

- Shopper exiting Publix making rude comment about me being stopped to load groceries. Not parked, actually sitting in the drivers seat with the vehicle in drive as groceries were actively being loaded but apparently I was inconveniencing them somehow.
It is easy to be cheery, polite and civilised when you live in paradise the whole year. Keep in mind, these people are coming from some very depressing places. Give them a few weeks in Florida. They will get happier.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
It is easy to be cheery, polite and civilised when you live in paradise the whole year. Keep in mind, these people are coming from some very depressing places. Give them a few weeks in Florida. They will get happier.
I agree with what Wyseguy said....

except there are a few here and there that never do calm down.....those are the one's that never learned how to play the game of life in the sandbox growing up
Old 10-29-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Probably locals or all year rounders..
Mistook you for a snowbird!
Old 10-29-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Oh yes, just blame the snowbirds.
There were rude people all summer.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

👍…👍
Old 10-29-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Please, don't misunderstand, I have no clue whether the rudeness was coming from snowbirds. (an earlier draft included that statement, I should have left it in) In fact, I suspect it isn't the snowbirds who are rude, I suspect it is the full-timers who are frustrated and impatient.

In some way we (I'm a full-timer now) should be grateful for the snowbirds... if they didn't leave around April then we would have this crowding all year.

No, I wasn't accusing snowbirds of being rude, I was just noticing that the rudeness increased as the snowbirds returned.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Problem is most likely not snowbirds, but rather with the curmudgeon full timers who are suddenly upset that they have to share the Villages with the seasonal residents. The people walking around with big smiles on their faces are the ones that are elated to finally be back at their second homes.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Please, don't misunderstand, I have no clue whether the rudeness was coming from snowbirds. (an earlier draft included that statement, I should have left it in) In fact, I suspect it isn't the snowbirds who are rude, I suspect it is the full-timers who are frustrated and impatient.

In some way we (I'm a full-timer now) should be grateful for the snowbirds... if they didn't leave around April then we would have this crowding all year.

No, I wasn't accusing snowbirds of being rude, I was just noticing that the rudeness increased as the snowbirds returned
Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Angry and rude

Studies estimate 1 in 7 seniors citizens have some form of undiagnosed dementia that affects their personality. In The Villages, surely this fact has to account for some of the rudeness, crudeness, stalking, bad parking, domestic violence and strange attire worn at Walmart.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

You'll get some rudeness anytime, but the denser the population the more issues with some folks. Just brush it off as you know too well that no matter where you go or live you're bound to run into talking turds. That's life.

Won't go to Disney anymore due to the crowds and ill mannered people of poor upbringing(ie: no common sense or etiquette).
Old 10-29-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Just this week:

- Shopper in Publix trying to push my wife out of the way with their cart as I was looking at the turkey breasts. "I want one of those," seemed be the signal that her time had expired and she was required to move or risk being bumped.

My only comment is to your last paragraph about loading your car in front of a Publix in The Villages. Unlike Lowes and Home Depot, I don't believe Publix has a dedicated "loading zone" in front of any of their stores, perhaps I am mistaken. So, since there is no such zone, YES you are inconveniencing EVERY car that has to pull around your car AND every shopper leaving or entering the store who has to go around your car. So maybe you can tell me why you feel it is OK for you to do this? Do you feel you have some kind of special need, or right? Is there some reason you feel you shouldn't park your car and push your grocery cart to that location? Oh, and I might add, that a Publix bagboy (for lack of a better word) will gladly push your loaded cart to your car, unload the cart, and return the cart to the store!

Maybe I am missing something??

Last edited by n8xwb; 10-29-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

My view, no one is perfect except me. People who know me might have a different opinion than mine.

Snowbirds, golf carts and frankly walkers, bike riders and all the other things posters complain about. It is not your job to teach others they are wrong. You job is, should be that everyone gets home in one piece. You should be aware of everyone around you.
You should be aware how aware they are. You communicate to others by your body language that includes your driving.

Accident? The best ones are the ones that do not happen.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, cart, gate, lane, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.