Do the Villages new-construction patio villas come with an electric dryer outlet?

Old 04-18-2024, 02:15 PM
Default Gas dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
A gas dryer is far superior to an electric. Cheaper to run and faster to dry.
When our almost 20 year old gas dryer died here in The Villages, the plumber who installed the new gas dryer also explained that because of fewer moving parts in a gas dryer - they generally last longer also. I was from CT and had never owned any gas appliance. I was leery of using gas due to some stupid incidents that occurred when I was growing up. I wanted to switch to electricity and was advised not to do so. I swear that our laundry dries faster also - but it could be my imagination.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:10 PM
Default Electric dryers in new areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgeez1 View Post
Do the newly constructed patio villas in The Villages come equipped with a proper fitting ‘electrical’ outlet for a laundry dryer. If not, I guess I’ll need to hire an electrician to convert or add a dryer outlet?

We just bought in Moultrie Creek and the outlet definitely doesn’t look big enough for a dryer. I’m no expert. We ordered a new electric dryer to be delivered very soon, but maybe we should change the order to a ‘gas’ dryer so that it will fit. I’d like to avoid extra cost of having an electrician install the correct dryer outlet if it needs one.

I’ll ask my builder tomorrow about the dryer outlet to make sure, but wondering if other new buyers have had the same question.

Thanks in advance!
We moved to Hawkins in 2021. Since we already had an electric dryer, we hired an electrician for around $200 to put in a 220v outlet in the laundry area. (we got several estimates). The houses come with a natural gas connection for dryers. Most of my neighbors installed new gas dryers. Either one works.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgeez1 View Post
Do the newly constructed patio villas in The Villages come equipped with a proper fitting ‘electrical’ outlet for a laundry dryer. If not, I guess I’ll need to hire an electrician to convert or add a dryer outlet?

We just bought in Moultrie Creek and the outlet definitely doesn’t look big enough for a dryer. I’m no expert. We ordered a new electric dryer to be delivered very soon, but maybe we should change the order to a ‘gas’ dryer so that it will fit. I’d like to avoid extra cost of having an electrician install the correct dryer outlet if it needs one.

I’ll ask my builder tomorrow about the dryer outlet to make sure, but wondering if other new buyers have had the same question.

Thanks in advance!
I prefer a gas dryer over an electric. Always had a gas dryer.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:42 PM

We've had an electric dryer here for over 20 years and it still works great. It provides all the heat that's need to dry clothes in a reasonably fast amount of time. In fact, we seldom dry clothes on the hottest settings because that's bad for MANY of today's fabrics.

Electric is clean and presents no danger of gas fumes or possible gas leaks. Electric dryers are also lighter and simpler in their function. There is no thermocouple needed in an electric dryer which is often something that goes bad in a gas dryer. And, of course, there are no gas burners to go bad in an electric dryer.

And finally, electric rates are cheaper here than in most other parts of the country. Our all-electric home is very inexpensive to heat and cool with our heat pump, and the electric appliances are also clean and inexpensive to operate. If I were offered the opportunity to switch all my appliances and heating/cooling system to gas at no cost, my reply would be "No thanks. I'm happy with what I've got."

Old 04-19-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
When our almost 20 year old gas dryer died here in The Villages,the plumber who installed the new gas dryer also explained that because of fewer moving parts in a gas dryer - they generally last longer also. I was from CT and had never owned any gas appliance. I was leery of using gas due to some stupid incidents that occurred when I was growing up. I wanted to switch to electricity and was advised not to do so. I swear that our laundry dries faster also - but it could be my imagination.
Fewer moving parts? What else moves other than motor, the drum, the fan?
Old 04-19-2024, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Fewer moving parts? What else moves other than motor, the drum, the fan?
The additional components (gas valves, ignighters, safety switches, etc. ) for gas dryers are more complex and expensive than those for electric dryers.

Gas lines used in the attic here have risk of being punctured by lightening strikes resulting in major home fires.

Tags
dryer, outlet, i’ll, electric, equipped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.