Do we need another Walmart on 466 in Lady Lake?

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2023, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts
Default Do we need another Walmart on 466 in Lady Lake?

There are reports that another Walmart Neighborhood Market is going to be built at the intersection of 466 and Sumter County Road 100 in Lady Lake. This is only about 5 miles from the Walmart Neighborhood Market off 466A and about 7 miles from the Walmart Supercenter in Leesburg.

There seems to be lots of shopping choices north of 466A - there are numerous Walmart and Aldi stores and several Winn-Dixie stores.

I would think there would be a huge demand for a Walmart or Aldi south of 44 and north of the Turnpike. At the present time, our only option is Villages Grown at Sawgrass. A discount grocery store would have a monopoly in this area.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
There are reports that another Walmart Neighborhood Market is going to be built at the intersection of 466 and Sumter County Road 100 in Lady Lake. This is only about 5 miles from the Walmart Neighborhood Market off 466A and about 7 miles from the Walmart Supercenter in Leesburg.

There seems to be lots of shopping choices north of 466A - there are numerous Walmart and Aldi stores and several Winn-Dixie stores.

I would think there would be a huge demand for a Walmart or Aldi south of 44 and north of the Turnpike. At the present time, our only option is Villages Grown at Sawgrass. A discount grocery store would have a monopoly in this area.
To save on space:
- You neglected to mention the Publix stores both north of 44 and the one South of 44
- If distance between stores matters, how far would a store south of 44 be from the existing Publix? Three and one half miles from Publix would get you past Sawgrass and into (or close to) Newell, right?
- The Aldis and the proposed Walmart are not on Villages property. Where is there non-Villages property south of 44 to put a new store?
- South of 44 and north of the Turnpike is pretty close to three Publix stores and not that far from the Neighborhood Market. There may be a demand but is there a true need?

It is at least possible that Aldis, Walmart, and Winn-Dixie don't see a customer base south of 44 that is close enough to available land. I have to imagine there have been discussions with the Villages about building on Villages property. Perhaps the terms haven't been desirable to those stores. Again, note that Aldis are not on Villages property and neither will be the proposed Walmart.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-24-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

"Do we need another Walmart on 466 in Lady Lake?"

Apparently Walmart thinks so, and so shall it be.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

There are about 8 Publix stores and 4 Winn Dixie’s so why not 2 Walmart Neighborhood stores. Too bad that area doesn’t have golf cart access like the shopping up north. There is a gate up north allowing you into the parking lots and it is too bad it isn’t the same on 466. I am sure the stores will do fine without the golf carts but it would be nice.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
- You neglected to mention the Publix stores both north of 44 and the one South of 44
- If distance between stores matters, how far would a store south of 44 be from the existing Publix? Three and one half miles from Publix would get you past Sawgrass and into (or close to) Newell, right?
- The Aldis and the proposed Walmart are not on Villages property. Where is there non-Villages property south of 44 to put a new store?
- South of 44 and north of the Turnpike is pretty close to three Publix stores and not that far from the Neighborhood Market. There may be a demand but is there a true need?
I specifically referred to Walmart and Aldi. I did not mention Publix because Publix, (except for BOGO) has significantly higher prices than Aldi or Walmart.

As for distance between stores, there is an Aldi and a Publix about a quarter mile from each other in Trailwinds Village off 466A. Both seem to be doing quite well. Just like there is a Burger King, a Wendy's, a Taco Bell, and a Culver's very close to each other in that area.

Walmart and Aldi are more affordable than Publix.

According to this article, the five lowest priced grocery stores with quality merchandise in Florida are

Walmart, Aldi, Winn-Dixie, Target, and Freshfields Farm.

Cheap Grocery Stores In Florida 2022 (Top 5) - Heaven Taste

I am sure there would be a demand. Not sure what you mean by true need. The Villages would survive with far fewer grocery stores in the Villages just as we could survive with 20 executive courses and 3 Championship courses.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
I specifically referred to Walmart and Aldi. I did not mention Publix because Publix, (except for BOGO) has significantly higher prices than Aldi or Walmart.

As for distance between stores, there is an Aldi and a Publix about a quarter mile from each other in Trailwinds Village off 466A. Both seem to be doing quite well. Just like there is a Burger King, a Wendy's, a Taco Bell, and a Culver's very close to each other in that area.

Walmart and Aldi are more affordable than Publix.

According to this article, the five lowest priced grocery stores with quality merchandise in Florida are

Walmart, Aldi, Winn-Dixie, Target, and Freshfields Farm.

Cheap Grocery Stores In Florida 2022 (Top 5) - Heaven Taste

I am sure there would be a demand. Not sure what you mean by true need. The Villages would survive with far fewer grocery stores in the Villages just as we could survive with 20 executive courses and 3 Championship courses.
So the concern isn't whether there is a need for a Neighborhood Market on 466 in Lady Lake and the concern isn't whether the folks south of 44 can get food. The concern is whether there is your preferred grocery store close enough to you and why do the 466 people have something you don't.

I'm sure it was Walmart that decided the new development would bring the customers the store will need and that the land was affordable. *Perhaps* there is no affordable land south of 44 in a location they felt would attract a customer base large enough. Yes, some Villagers would go to the market but not all of them and even fewer if it wasn't golf cart accessible. Maybe, in their estimation, those Villagers would not be enough and there are no other customers nearby.

Demand vs need. What I meant was sure, people way they want an Aldi and a Neighborhood Market and some would want a Winn-Dixie and you also mentioned Target. There can be a demand for those stores but with the Publix there is no need for another store - you *can* get groceries without them. You *want* those other stores but as long as there are other options the customer base will be shared between them. Walmart, Winn-Dixie, Aldi may be trying to determine if one of their stores can be successful with that divided customer base.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-24-2023, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,351 Posts

OP has to drive 10 minutes to their preferred grocery, and is unhappy.OP you do know one can order groceries and someone drops in at your front door, no driving involved

I sent a note to corporate and asked for NW to be built at 466 and CR100, guess they liked my need over others

We drive over an hour to Gainesville for our preference in grocery, yet not complaining. It would be nice to go weekly, but I make do with what make me happy. Don’t expect someone to make my life easier, one has to find your own way

Last edited by asianthree; 04-25-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

The volume of sales in the area says yes. Not complicated
Old 04-24-2023, 05:46 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,787 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
"Do we need another Walmart on 466 in Lady Lake?"

Apparently Walmart thinks so, and so shall it be.
Relative works in location planning and land acquisition for the leading (won't mention) wholesale club. Have had many interesting conversations concerning the process of all such huge chains. Believe me, he has convinced me that such corporations know exactly what is needed and where ! You might be shocked (or maybe not ?) that it goes far beyond just population concentration. They analyze every conceivable aspect of every app on your phone, not just the Walmart app (if you have one); the types of items you buy, how often, how far you drive to get them, as well volume of the existing Walmarts and all the other similar retailers. It is absolutely amazing the data available to run various analysis programs to make size, location, etc. decisions !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-24-2023 at 06:01 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 04-24-2023, 05:58 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,787 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
OP has to drive 10 minutes to their preferred grocery, and is unhappy.

I sent a note to corporate and asked for NW to be built at 466 and CR100, guess they liked my need over others

We drive over an hour to Gainesville for our preference in grocery, yet not complaining. It would be nice to go weekly, but I make do with what make me happy. Don’t expect someone to make my life easier, one has to find your own way

LOL ! Must be another Trader Joe's devotee like myself ? LOL !
Old 04-24-2023, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts
Default 44

Quote:

44 is wide open for development, and it will be developed. It isn’t owned by The Villages and is ripe for commercial development.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-24-2023, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Walmart’s real estate and market evaluation group doesn’t think so.
They think north of 466 is a better spot.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:

So lobby those stores to build in the area and convince them their current marketing demographics and strategies are incorrect.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
It bothers me because I live in the area where there are no discount grocery stores. And not much of anything else. Other than in the new areas, most people in the Villages, are probably within 3-5 miles of either an Aldi or a Walmart. If I need something, I have to either shop at Publix or drive about 10 miles to get to the nearest Aldi. Also, they are putting a new Home Depot about a half mile from the Lowes and they are are putting in a new Target store up on 466A.

Grocery stores: Who has the best prices on the basics?

According to the survey, they bought six basic grocery items including whole milk, eggs, white bread, apples, bacon and orange juice. Aldi prices were the cheapest. Publix was the most expensive. If you shopped at Aldi, you would save $5.49 on those items.

People in the northern part of the Villages are complaining about how busy the traffic is up north. That is because they keep building new stores in the north and are not building much down south - so if we want to shop, we have to go up north and buy food and other items. If they build 8000 homes in Middleton, I would think that most of the workers would want a low priced grocery store without having to drive 10 miles or so to get to the Aldi in Trailwinds or the Walmart Neighborhood store in Colony.

People keep saying that the stores will come. The customers are already here.
We do most of our shopping at Publix because it is closest. On occasion we go to Winn Dixie or over to Walmart near Moyer Loop. The one Aldi I can get to is old and not knowing most of the brands and not believing I could get everything we needed, we do not shop there. There are plenty of shopping all over the Villages and if they open a store outside the Villages then so be it.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Relative works in location planning and land acquisition for the leading (won't mention) wholesale club. Have had many interesting conversations concerning the process of all such huge chains. Believe me, he has convinced me that such corporations know exactly what is needed and where ! You might be shocked (or maybe not ?) that it goes far beyond just population concentration. They analyze every conceivable aspect of every app on your phone, not just the Walmart app (if you have one); the types of items you buy, how often, how far you drive to get them, as well volume of the existing Walmarts and all the other similar retailers. It is absolutely amazing the data available to run various analysis programs to make size, location, etc. decisions !
Yes, it's called analytics. This is how the modern successful chains always seem to put their stores in locations sometimes before you even notice that you need them. McDonalds has done a great job with that in TV, especially south of 44. Some other chains mainly target medium-high income individuals like Costco and Trader Joe's, which is why you sometimes have some larger cities with neither of these in them.
Closed Thread

Tags
walmart, 466a, miles, north, aldi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.