Do we need another Walmart on 466 in Lady Lake?

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2023, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

When we did food shopping in the store a long time ago we preferred The Neighborhood Walmart. At that time it was just eight miles from our house in the Historic Section. Nice ride, beautiful store until the cashiers disappeared after eight PM. They NEVER screwed up an online order at this store until so many others found out about how great the store was. I won’t shop at the larger Walmart Stores anymore because of the aggravation of the order being wrong. Bring on this Neighborhood Market and even a few more. They are the best to save a couple of bucks in our opinions. More is better cause Da Villages ain’t getting smaller.

Last edited by Nucky; 04-25-2023 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Very bad spelling cause I didn’t proofread with my glasses on!
Old 04-25-2023, 06:33 AM

There are many non-village residents near that location and the future plans in that area include a large housing development. It will be a great convenience for them. Myself included. La Zamora/ Chula Vista residents will enjoy it also. There are 2 restaurants going in there also.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:42 AM
Default Building a neighborhood Walmart

There is commercial land at the corner of Meggison and Warm Springs available for sale but nothing is being built there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
To save on space:
- You neglected to mention the Publix stores both north of 44 and the one South of 44
- If distance between stores matters, how far would a store south of 44 be from the existing Publix? Three and one half miles from Publix would get you past Sawgrass and into (or close to) Newell, right?
- The Aldis and the proposed Walmart are not on Villages property. Where is there non-Villages property south of 44 to put a new store?
- South of 44 and north of the Turnpike is pretty close to three Publix stores and not that far from the Neighborhood Market. There may be a demand but is there a true need?

It is at least possible that Aldis, Walmart, and Winn-Dixie don't see a customer base south of 44 that is close enough to available land. I have to imagine there have been discussions with the Villages about building on Villages property. Perhaps the terms haven't been desirable to those stores. Again, note that Aldis are not on Villages property and neither will be the proposed Walmart.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
It bothers me because I live in the area where there are no discount grocery stores. And not much of anything else. Other than in the new areas, most people in the Villages, are probably within 3-5 miles of either an Aldi or a Walmart. If I need something, I have to either shop at Publix or drive about 10 miles to get to the nearest Aldi. Also, they are putting a new Home Depot about a half mile from the Lowes and they are are putting in a new Target store up on 466A.

Grocery stores: Who has the best prices on the basics?

According to the survey, they bought six basic grocery items including whole milk, eggs, white bread, apples, bacon and orange juice. Aldi prices were the cheapest. Publix was the most expensive. If you shopped at Aldi, you would save $5.49 on those items.

People in the northern part of the Villages are complaining about how busy the traffic is up north. That is because they keep building new stores in the north and are not building much down south - so if we want to shop, we have to go up north and buy food and other items. If they build 8000 homes in Middleton, I would think that most of the workers would want a low priced grocery store without having to drive 10 miles or so to get to the Aldi in Trailwinds or the Walmart Neighborhood store in Colony.

People keep saying that the stores will come. The customers are already here.
The problem below 44 is employees. No one lives down there except retired people. Working age is not willing to commute 1 hour or more for minimum wage type job. Second problem is increased cost to transport goods to store down there with gas prices. Remember no gas stations to fill up trucks to get to another stop or return to base.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:59 AM
Default Wal Mart

Quote:
There are reports that another Walmart Neighborhood Market is going to be built at the intersection of 466 and Sumter County Road 100 in Lady Lake. This is only about 5 miles from the Walmart Neighborhood Market off 466A and about 7 miles from the Walmart Supercenter in Leesburg.

There seems to be lots of shopping choices north of 466A - there are numerous Walmart and Aldi stores and several Winn-Dixie stores.

I would think there would be a huge demand for a Walmart or Aldi south of 44 and north of the Turnpike. At the present time, our only option is Villages Grown at Sawgrass. A discount grocery store would have a monopoly in this area.
Hey, thats Wally Worlds problem. They put them up where they think they will make money. No sales they will be gone in a flash.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,550 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsritchey View Post
There is commercial land at the corner of Meggison and Warm Springs available for sale but nothing is being built there.
Really? The Villages owns everything else in the area but there is a commercial site that they do not own? Or they do own it but are willing to sell it and give up control over what is put there?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-25-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage

I've lived here since 2009 but before that...maybe before SS was created the folks in the "historic area" and perhaps in the early SS area had to shop in Leesburg or Ocala. I don't know if they complained but that's how things were then. Also medical care was that same thing. We have friends who moved into a planned community up near Jacksonville about the same time we moved here. They had to drive about 30 minutes back then to shop etc. I don't think the folks in the southern part of T.V. are suffering too much. They knew when they bought there what the "lay of the land" was. Think of the excitement though, as they get their desired commerce etc. It will eventually come!!
Old 04-25-2023, 07:40 AM

There is a proposal for another Winn-Dixie to be located at 466A and Micro Racetrack. Also not Villages property
Old 04-25-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I've lived here since 2009 but before that...maybe before SS was created the folks in the "historic area" and perhaps in the early SS area had to shop in Leesburg or Ocala. I don't know if they complained but that's how things were then. Also medical care was that same thing. We have friends who moved into a planned community up near Jacksonville about the same time we moved here. They had to drive about 30 minutes back then to shop etc. I don't think the folks in the southern part of T.V. are suffering too much. They knew when they bought there what the "lay of the land" was. Think of the excitement though, as they get their desired commerce etc. It will eventually come!!
Been meaning to look into that idiom for some time, now. Looks like you'd have to be British in order to go for "lie of the land". :-)
Old 04-25-2023, 08:19 AM
Default Walmart

Quote:
There are reports that another Walmart Neighborhood Market is going to be built at the intersection of 466 and Sumter County Road 100 in Lady Lake. This is only about 5 miles from the Walmart Neighborhood Market off 466A and about 7 miles from the Walmart Supercenter in Leesburg.

There seems to be lots of shopping choices north of 466A - there are numerous Walmart and Aldi stores and several Winn-Dixie stores.

I would think there would be a huge demand for a Walmart or Aldi south of 44 and north of the Turnpike. At the present time, our only option is Villages Grown at Sawgrass. A discount grocery store would have a monopoly in this area.
What makes the most sense would be somewhere southeast heading towards the new areas around Newell and Eastport/Middleton. Perhaps at the junction of 470 and Marsh Bend Trail. The add a pharmacy, Dunkin, and 7eleven.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,234 Times in 775 Posts

I'd rather see a Walmart than apartments.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:30 AM

I've seen it many times in the various places I lived. The amenities are often slow to come to newly populated areas. Walmart, for instance, is probably as good at forward projecting as any major chain, but expect at least a 5 year or more gap between the time a need arises or is perceived by the residents as existing and the time a store actually opens for business. It has been my experience, though, that once one big chain moves in others will follow quickly. I often think Lowes just waits for Walmart to figure it out and then builds a store near them.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:

We need one over here on 44 Wildwood close to Brownwood area if any Walmart to be built.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:49 AM

AGREe I feel that they are putting in too many golf course which means more water usage on top of that. NOT everyone plays golf or everyday either
Old 04-25-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,409 Times in 4,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
AGREe I feel that they are putting in too many golf course which means more water usage on top of that. NOT everyone plays golf or everyday either
So, you moved into a community that is KNOWN for it's golf access and then complain that there are too many golf courses?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
walmart, 466a, miles, north, aldi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.