Do we really need Gate Cards?

Old 04-12-2024, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

[QUOTE=firefighter4u;2321028]We have friends that live in Stonecrest that were given a gate card when they purchased their house.[/
A card for the stoncrest gate?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,508 Posts

[QUOTE=Bogie Shooter;2321226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
We have friends that live in Stonecrest that were given a gate card when they purchased their house.[/
A card for the stoncrest gate?
They should try it when they come to visit you, just out of curiosity.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
However, having all that hardware, landscaping, and signage blocks visibility of cars and carts seeing each other. That alone makes the area a lot less safer.

Since there are many times a gate arm is missing, or stuck in the up position, the overall safety at those times is extremely worse because carts have become used to the rhythm of crossing, and are not ready for a car to appear so soon. Cart much more likely to be crossing because they cannot see an approaching car, and risks becoming involved in a collision.

Even when those conditions are present, there are not collisions happening often. So without gates, and all the obstructions around them, things would flow freely, quickly, and safely.
That how it happens everywhere else in the country.
I agree. People in carts and in cars get used to traffic configurations and drive accordingly. If there were stop signs instead of gates, carts would be on the lookout for cars, and vice versa. In Sumter Landing, for the past week or so, the traffic lights by Winn Dixie have not been in operation. It is a high traffic area, with many pedestrians and lots of golf carts and cars. Not a single accident that i'm aware of.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
The purpose of the gates is NOT to slow traffic down. They do function that way, but it is not their purpose. The same function could be achieved by stop signs, sans gate cards and attendants.
If not for traffic control, what is the purpose of these gates? An "illusion" of a gated community is not a good answer, IMHO.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is nowhere else in the country with this concentration of carts and cars.

See my previous response to collisions. They DO happen and they happen more frequently when the gates are missing.

Do you travel by cart in the Villages? I do.
CORRECTION: There is nowhere else in the WORLD with this concentration of carts and cars. There. That's better!
Old 04-13-2024, 08:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
I agree. People in carts and in cars get used to traffic configurations and drive accordingly. If there were stop signs instead of gates, carts would be on the lookout for cars, and vice versa. In Sumter Landing, for the past week or so, the traffic lights by Winn Dixie have not been in operation. It is a high traffic area, with many pedestrians and lots of golf carts and cars. Not a single accident that i'm aware of.
Sorry if this is hijacking the original content of this thread but.......I heard it will be "months" before that light is replaced or repaired. Hope that is not true.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
If not for traffic control, what is the purpose of these gates? An "illusion" of a gated community is not a good answer, IMHO.
It is a benefit to traffic control. I have no illusions about a gated community. IMHO

Tags
cards, gate, gates, waste, entrance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.