Courtyard Villa Master Bath Water Shut-off

Old 04-10-2024, 02:23 PM
Default Courtyard Villa Master Bath Water Shut-off

I am unable to locate an inside water shut-off for the hot and cold water supply to the Master Bath (shower). I am about to embark on a lengthy shower renovation and I want to avoid shutting all water supply to the Villa off while performing this renovation.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,022 Times in 775 Posts

SOL you will need to shutoff water supply to whole home.
Once secure you can install shut off valves in bath with access panel, then turn water on for rest of home.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,338 Posts

I agree with above. the pipes will be PVC and the valves can be added easily if you have any experience with glueing PVC. A word of caution, turn on the HOT and COLD water, then turn off the main valve and wait for the pressure to bleed off. Then make sure the pipes are completely DRY before gluing.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:00 PM

Link for access panels:12x12 plastic access panel at Lowes.com: Search Results
Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,542 Posts

Well, didn’t say what model home or how old? This helps cause I’m sure something might be different for older vs new model homes? Somebody will have to shut water off usually at three points. One at meter, two just before water enters house, or three at water heater pipes the come out of wall.

Then you’ll have to lowest point turn that spigot on let pressure drain, turn shower on let that drain. What ever type of shower valve you have remove it and cap lines. Now the water will be removed from shower at that point. Now you can turn water back on at where every you shut it off at Go back to shower and Verify no leaks. Now, you are ready for the lengthy mater bath upgrade.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,002 Times in 5,367 Posts

Most houses in The Villages have a water shutoff valve in the garage, usually behind an access panel in the back wall. That valve will shut off the water for the entire house and the outside hose bibbs. I have never seen a house that had a shut off valve at the shower or bathtub.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above. the pipes will be PVC and the valves can be added easily if you have any experience with glueing PVC. A word of caution, turn on the HOT and COLD water, then turn off the main valve and wait for the pressure to bleed off. Then make sure the pipes are completely DRY before gluing.
You generally know more about home improvement than most, so I hesitate to correct you, but supply lines are CPVC. Drain and vent lines are generally PVC. The processes for gluing is similar, but the cement is different.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,444 Times in 2,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
You generally know more about home improvement than most, so I hesitate to correct you, but supply lines are CPVC. Drain and vent lines are generally PVC. The processes for gluing is similar, but the cement is different.
Excellent point, you are correct, thank you for providing the corrections.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,903 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Most houses in The Villages have a water shutoff valve in the garage, usually behind an access panel in the back wall. That valve will shut off the water for the entire house and the outside hose bibbs. I have never seen a house that had a shut off valve at the shower or bathtub.
Mine (in my courtyard villa) is on the wall of the garage facing the street, the one with windows, in the middle, about two feet off the floor. Red handle one turns ninety degrees.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejk View Post
I am unable to locate an inside water shut-off for the hot and cold water supply to the Master Bath (shower). I am about to embark on a lengthy shower renovation and I want to avoid shutting all water supply to the Villa off while performing this renovation.
Could it be the same shut off for the bathroom sink(s)?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,002 Times in 5,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Could it be the same shut off for the bathroom sink(s)?
No. The bathroom sinks have two shutoff valves, one for the hot water and one for the cold water. The toilet has one shutoff valve. None of these valves have any effect on the shower or the tub.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:04 AM
Default Shower

Quote:
Cap your water supply lines with shark bite caps until you’re ready to install your new mixing valve
Old 04-13-2024, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Oatey makes an All Purpose Cement. It can be used on ABS, CPVC, PVC up to 6 inches, potable, waste and irrigation.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Some showers if you take the handle and plate off have a screw driver shut off, but not all of them.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Some of us have to go outside to a floor hole cover and use a special long tool to shut off water.
Or have one installed in garage or at the shower itself.

Tags
water, renovation, master, bath, shut-off

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.