Do you care about your carbon footprint?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
One of the first things I did after moving into our home was to remove the 3 incandescent 40 watt light bulbs from the driveway lampost and replace them with 3 flourescent 40 watt bulbs that use 9 watts each. That's 120 watts versus 27 watts that burn everynight in front of every home in TV, just imagine if the builder had done that to the over 40,000 homes in TV, how much electricity could be saved in a single evening.
One of the first things I did was to unscrew two of the bulbs a little and just use one at a time. When that one burns out I just reach in and screw the next "spare bulb" in. When all three are burnt out I replace them all and start over.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Default energy waster

On another note, I am surprised at the number of refrigerators I see in garages. Do two people in one home really need two refrigerators? I understand about the convenience of keeping one's beverages cold, but refrigerators are big energy wasters. Okay, let the attacks begin.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We also have an electric cart which seems to hold a charge forever, even with golfing and driving all over TV. I personally find gas carts to be noisy and smelly, but it is a personal choice, and many people I respect choose gas carts. On a positive note, I've learned to hold my breath for a really long time! Before I enter a tunnel, I take a deep breath, and I don't take another breath until I clear the tunnel. That takes care of my allergy problem.
The fumes also attract love bugs.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
On another note, I am surprised at the number of refrigerators I see in garages. Do two people in one home really need two refrigerators? I understand about the convenience of keeping one's beverages cold, but refrigerators are big energy wasters.
Perhaps the space is needed by their lifestyle but there's no alternative to powering a fridge.

There R alternatives in carts, either one accomplishes the same task and the costs to buy - about the same.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-27-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
In researching TV and deciding to move here later this year I was bit surprised to see what in my opinion is the disregard of folks driving gas powered golf carts around town.

Of the 50,000+ carts there are approximately half gas/elec.

I researched a bit as what the exhaust gases are contributing to the air you breathe.

In 2004 Princeton University reported on the possibility of reducing the amount of gas emissions from the University fleet. A total of 92 golf carts. on campus provided the largest amount of harmful emissions - carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and other gases.

Not to post a bunch of calculations and bore you with numbers but 1 gas cart produces about the same emissions as 6 Ford Taurus'

In 2010 Go Green College, calculated based on their 100 carts half gas half elec the following;

50 gas carts generates 161,200 pounds of CO2 a year!
50 electric powered carts generates only 41,700 pounds of CO2 a year!

So about 4 times the about.

So here 25,000 gas carts produce 500 times that amount or 80 million pounds of CO2 a year!

Did I do that math right? 80 million lbs
What about all the exhaust from the lawn mowers, edgers, and leaf blowers used in TV? Aren't they worse polluters than gas golf carts?

Pehaps a new business start-up could cut lawns with an old fashioned people-powered reel mower and rake lawns and sweep driveways and walkways? They could also compost the clippings and leaves.

Of course the price for all that manual labor would be quite high compared to the way it is being done now, but there may be a business opportunity catrering to those who are concerned about their carbon footprint.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
What about all the exhaust from the lawn mowers, edgers, and leaf blowers used in TV? Aren't they worse polluters than gas golf carts?

Pehaps a new business start-up could cut lawns with an old fashioned people-powered reel mower and rake lawns and sweep driveways and walkways? They could also compost the clippings and leaves.

Of course the price for all that manual labor would be quite high compared to the way it is being done now, but there may be a business opportunity catrering to those who are concerned about their carbon footprint.

We eat leftovers. Every little bit helps the old lady said as she pees in the sea.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
I would think they are just as bad, any gas engine with or without emission controls is bad for our environment.

However, there aren't 25,000 + of them running around day and night.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold member

it is approx 16 miles from rt42 to rt 44 on Buena Vista
the average electric golf cart can make that round trip once.
the 'new' 60 mile range carts can make that trip maybe 1.5 times since I've yet to hear of anyone getting much more than 45 miles a charge.
So, with a standard electric cart you can get around pretty good but not drive around all day and must always keep your range in mind (we have all seen the carts being towed in because the batteries died).
In a gas cart you do not need to think about range as long as you have a full tank you can drive for days. I have electric now, when I replace it I will get gas!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

NO!

btk
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:

and you have to give up eating beef since cows arguably have the worst carbon footprint of food animals.....oh no not my burgers!!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
and you have to give up eating beef since cows arguably have the worst carbon footprint of food animals.....oh no not my burgers!!
It would seem to me that if we stopped eating beef that the cattle population would increase and it would therefore be a reasonable conclusion that the if the cattle population increases, so would the carbon footprint. Smile looney, your Whimpy burgers are safe!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
It would seem to me that if we stopped eating beef that the cattle population would increase and it would therefore be a reasonable conclusion that the if the cattle population increases, so would the carbon footprint. Smile looney, your Whimpy burgers are safe!
The Villages Florida
burgers, burgers, yum...I would gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger you give me today...

I was speaking to the car'boners' that want to reduce the herds as well...all in the name of carbon footprint!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
burgers, burgers, yum...I would gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger you give me today...

I was speaking to the car'boners' that want to reduce the herds as well...all in the name of carbon footprint!
That wouldn't surprise me as there are some who would want to do similarily to the human population for whatever their motivation might be! 60 Plus Association
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.