Do you care about your carbon footprint?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM

I don't care. I think it's all BS. Bad science based on wrong assumptions. Just saying because you asked.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
It would seem to me that if we stopped eating beef that the cattle population would increase and it would therefore be a reasonable conclusion that the if the cattle population increases, so would the carbon footprint. Smile looney, your Whimpy burgers are safe!
The Villages Florida
That's why I say... Spay and neuter your cow!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
That's why I say... Spay and neuter your cow!
and that's no bull!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
it is approx 16 miles from rt42 to rt 44 on Buena Vista
the average electric golf cart can make that round trip once.
the 'new' 60 mile range carts can make that trip maybe 1.5 times since I've yet to hear of anyone getting much more than 45 miles a charge.
I saw this posted here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
My 6 volt T105 batteries turned two years old and I wanted to share some range testing

My test runs:
  • Front window was down as it was hot, but this would decrease wind resistance and increase range.
  • Only weight in cart was a husky man, lab assistant Caly, and possibly a couple of beverages with enough ice to keep them cold.
  • All driving was on tar paths or roads.
  • All mileage was not continuous. I stopped for periods of 15-30 minutes at various places to visit and take voltages of the pack.
  • Voltages were measured after the pack rested for 15-30 minutes post arrival at a destination. (Future post will have details of voltages for the truly curious)
  • The distance was measured with the cart speedometer and a GPS app on my Blackberry, I used the lower number.

Test run one: 42+ miles, ending voltage was 48.6 volts (~55% SOC)
Test run two: 63+ miles, ending voltage was 47.6 volts (~37% SOC) (last run of 9.5 miles had lights on)

I was extremely pleased with these numbers.
Now with solar just over the horizon, we should see 75+ mile ranges soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I would think they are just as bad, any gas engine with or without emission controls is bad for our environment.

However, there aren't 25,000 + of them running around day and night.
actually I would bet that the total of all the gas run lawn implements used daily would probably be in the 8,000-10,000 range between the private homes, golf courses and public land in the 100+ square miles of the villages.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

No.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I saw this posted here

Now with solar just over the horizon, we should see 75+ mile ranges soon.

atypical but thanks for pointing this post out. If you had good practical experience, i.e. lived here, you'd know. sorry.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Our adult children and grandchildren are HUGE into the green movement.

Ditto for other relatives in California who keep sending us circulating emails about not having the pipeline come down from Alaska, etc., etc., etc.

For those who live in a colder climate who must use home heating oil and have seen the prices escalate to as much as their yearly property taxes, gasoline isn't really the big deal in a small walkable town that has all the services one needs, meaning not a lot of driving unless heading off to visit or on vacation. We use very little gasoline but a lot of home heating oil.

But there are folks in New England who go CRAZY trying to avoid purchasing heating oil........so yank out their baseboard hot water heating system to put in pellet stoves and regular wood stoves, plus wood furnaces all over the house.......then have to chop and split **wood all year long to keep the fires going (and the smoke does contribute to breathing issues).........I find it a lot easier to turn one of the four themostats either up or down. **not killing the trees.

We have kids who have taught their kids "not to flush" if it is yellow.

So, we've lived in both these worlds. They recycle. It's all admirable.

We have switched from paper cards to electronic ecards ........that saves paper and postage.

We've always bought smaller sized cars, but brand new. After this last visit to The Villages, my husband so admired the SMOOTH ROADS down there that he immediately purchased a full sized new gas guzzler car similar to the one he rented at Orlando International Airport. It was retired man's one luxury.

Upon returning and picking up our one year old car at the long term parking, he realized how bad our pot holed roads are up here.........so he's going the opposite way from "being into saving of the planet."
The planet doesn't need saving when it is done with us it will shudder and like the dinasoars we will be gone and 200 years after that there will be little trace that humans were ever here.
Being from New England I did cut wood and burned wood to keep warm not to mention saving a little on a $750.00 per month oil bill. It kept me in shape as well. Burning wood is not killing trees firewood is basically wood from trees that are dying or trees that need to be removed so that other trees grow more healthy and to make room for new seedlings. Not to mention the fact that most of the wood comes from the great N'oreasters blowing the trees down and we need to cut them up and dispose of them.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
actually I would bet that the total of all the gas run lawn implements used daily would probably be in the 8,000-10,000 range between the private homes, golf courses and public land in the 100+ square miles of the villages.
Not sure how you figured that?

50,000 homes once a month for 15Min I guess more like 75 landscapers working a day.

It's more like 50 square miles I think.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
atypical but thanks for pointing this post out. If you had good practical experience, i.e. lived here, you'd know. sorry.
I spent the last 5 winters south of TV, where there were golf carts.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Not sure how you figured that?

50,000 homes once a month for 15Min I guess more like 75 landscapers working a day.

It's more like 50 square miles I think.
jimbo - how do you figure once a month landscape? effective in april my lawn is being tended to once a week and will remain on that sched 'til next 'winter' when it switches to once a month for a few weeks. my neighborhood seems to be on the same schedule, too. and we have 4 different crews working the street.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Quote:
I spent the last 5 winters south of TV, where there were golf carts.
OK, If thats the case, WHY do u want to move too TV where there are more golf carts runnin around??
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
jimbo - how do you figure once a month landscape? effective in april my lawn is being tended to once a week and will remain on that sched 'til next 'winter' when it switches to once a month for a few weeks. my neighborhood seems to be on the same schedule, too. and we have 4 different crews working the street.
ok instead of 75 make it 300, but it's not 10,000.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 05-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
ok instead of 75 make it 300, but it's not 10,000.
again, just shows that you don't live here. on my block right now there are 3 landscaping crews and a power washer. multiply that by 5000 streets ...maybe the number should be more like 20,000. Sumter county has the lowest unemployment in central florida and a lot of that is due to the thousands (no exaggeration) of service people serving the villages on a daily basis. The Villages has a complete school system that ONLY serves the children of people who work here...so no, I was not kidding, and no if anything my figure was low! you may have spent the last 5 years south of here but that is just not the same thing as being here and seeing the level of maintenance performed in the villages. the villages is now roughly 15 miles by 7 simple math says 105 sq miles, but you are free to dispute the map with rand mcnally.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.