Do you care about your carbon footprint?

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Sage
Default Thanks for dragging me in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
AJ, having quoted your tests earlier in this thread do you think that the average is about 50 miles with elec here?
Thanks for dragging me in Jimbo, I am prepared

The following is based on my experiences and my friends. Prior to each statement please include IMO. These are my opinions based on my experience as a cart owner and some reading, nothing more.

Jimbo, I have no idea the average usage; each person needs to understand their own personal requirements. I live in Mallory, 50 miles in one heck of an unusual day for us:
23 miles, Mallory to Lopez, golf 18 holes, back home
10 miles, Mallory to Spanish Springs, back home
// That was a pretty good day, you want to what?
12 miles, Mallory to Bonefish for dinner, back home
// Can't we go in the morning??
5 miles, Mallory to Publix at 466A to pick up milk.

I have not posted to the OP question as NO seemed too short an answer, but I do not choose my golf carts based on Carbon footprint. It does not even show up as one of my top … umm I do not even think it is on my list. The thread has now morphed into something I do have thoughts on, so I will throw my hat in to enjoy the banter. I hope I do not offend anyone along the way .

Working in Internet security for years I learned much about FUD . There is a lot of FUD with regards to facts about electric golf carts.

IMO, if you need to drive a golf cart 45 plus miles almost every day, you are crossing a line where gas may be the only option. With 8-6v batteries and a more efficient AC motor, you may be able to move that number to 55 miles from my reading. IMO, driving a cart that far every day is very unusual for most of us (I can only go by the folks I know). If your usage is like mine (daily average around 15- 20 miles with the potential to push to 60 miles) there are some very good electric options for you so you have a choice between gas and electric. It truly is up to you. Note: The type of electric cart you buy MATTERS, not all have the same range.

In addition, issues created by leaving the battery pack unattended and discharging have been mitigated by products like the Battery Minder. I am in the process of ordering some for my carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy named Alan standing on his soap box

Electric has one major difference. It does not adversely affect other people around you. If you own a gas cart you will have an effect on the experience of the people in the carts behind you. Their experience will be diminished by the fact you are in front of them. This is not the buyers fault, but when you buy gas, you have to also acknowledge this.

I need to word smith my new golf cart bumper sticker below before printing, but you get the idea.
Breath Away, Its Electric
Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Sage
Smile Do I care about my carbon footprint?

What I care about is saving money and that usually coincides with using less energy. So I don't stay up nights worring about my carbon footprint.

I'm a big believer in free markets. So if there are people promoting energy saving products or products that polute less, that's fine with me. I just don't want to pay more taxes to subsidize someone's purchase.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Funny you ask that ?, spoke to him last nite, he just ordered 10 panels they should be here end of next week.

I'm building a 48volt cart as a testing platform with him, oh fun!

It will be a Club Car with larger wheels and a two seater standard length roof.

The panels he found will work, but the other specs (the controller) or requirements is where the engineering comes into play.

As far as boost we'll know after a month or so I suppose, but hope to see about 50%, or 50-75 miles perhaps, remember the solar is charging all day even though the batteries are being used (depleted).

I was asking these questions to see what folks desired in an elec cart.

It's unfortunate that I have yet to get serious feedback.

If the demand isn't found here than it goes on the back burner I suppose.
why not check with one of the many companies that already make them, you can see if they sell parts and learn about the controllers and such that are out there
Solar Golf Cart Upgrades | SolarCarts, LLC
Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Funny you ask that ?, spoke to him last nite, he just ordered 10 panels they should be here end of next week.

I'm building a 48volt cart as a testing platform with him, oh fun!

It will be a Club Car with larger wheels and a two seater standard length roof.

The panels he found will work, but the other specs (the controller) or requirements is where the engineering comes into play.

As far as boost we'll know after a month or so I suppose, but hope to see about 50%, or 50-75 miles perhaps, remember the solar is charging all day even though the batteries are being used (depleted).

I was asking these questions to see what folks desired in an elec cart.

It's unfortunate that I have yet to get serious feedback.

If the demand isn't found here than it goes on the back burner I suppose.
Ok I'm confused. Is this thread about those "dirty nasty smoggy gas carts" or is it a request for info to research a "new improved electric cart"?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Sage

My focus is on the use of gas operated carts and how they increase the carbon footprint with some documentation to substantiate its negative affect on our environment.

That is to those that care about it and as you have seen some stated they don't care-WOW!!

If any gas carts can be phased out by folks switching to elec when they need to upgrade, buy new or change. Great

As far as research no, I already have been working on it for a while.

My friend built his first one two years ago, its never been plugged in but it can't really be put to the test because the community he's in is small and the runs are 2-3 miles not like here at all.

But since I'm buying & living here at TV later this year it would be a great place for me to test out the use of solar.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

I know that people love their carts---either electric or gas---my problem with gas is the exhaust they leave behind----we have neighbors who have gas carts and when we talk about the "smell" they leave behind--they tell us---well---we don't smell it---we are in front of our exhaust--- I posted on this "thread" before----my asthmatic son had breathing problems---DUE TO THE GAS EXHAUST--and the residue---or odor they leave behind in the tunnels---- I have been in my yard when the "yard men" come to cut grass, trim and clean up--I can honestly say I have never "smelled" the exhaust that I smell when I go through a golf cart tunnel---the gas smell----do whatever you are going to do---just think about the ones with the breathing problems----and what you are leaving behind.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.