Do you find the Morse Ave bridge crossing dangerous?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Do you find the Morse Ave bridge crossing dangerous?

When crossing the Morse Ave bridge in my golfcart, I must say I hold my breath until getting past it. The posted speed limit for the crossing is 10mph, but few adhere to that limit, and the room for two carts passing each other is minimal at best.

I'd love to see a separate bridge for golfcarts, going across the water. For safety, it could have a birdcage type enclosure over it. I know, I know, it would be expensive! But wouldn't it be fun and beautiful, and a really unique Villages feature?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

my husband wanted to buy in the new village but that means crossing the bridge two or three times a day in a cart and i hate going over every once in awhile so we didn't buy
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Sage
Default I am certainly uncomfortable when crossing

I am not aware of any major accidents there, but I sure feel vulnerable when crossing.

IMO it is the worst designed cart path in TV. It is the only place I feel like even if I drive defenselessly I am at the mercy of the cart coming from the other direction. There is no bailout. Some of these carts are pedal to the medal, completely unaware how easily and sharply a cart can veer when it hits a curb.

The solution to me would have been to not have a RAISED sidewalk, but since I am not a bridge designer, that may not have been an option....

Go slow and hope the folks coming at you are headed TO happy hour, not the FROM

PS. Two years ago I was passed while on that bridge. As the man went by between me and the sidewalk at 14 MPH, I simply yelled in YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!! He never looked over. When we got off the bridge his cart went 17-18 MPH tops. If this was a movie, I would have had my wife take the wheel as he passed, boarded his cart, slapped him around and then got back in my cart and zoom away at 19.6
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We live in Haciendas of Mission Hills. We go over it all the time. You need to go slow and watch for others, it is tight in a few places when two golf carts are passing but it really is not hard to navigate once you have done it a few times. Just like any other golfcart driving, beware of all others!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I have never seen that bridge speed limit enforced for cars or carts. I know I'm not there 24/7 either. I've been passed not always safely by many other carts on that bridge and some with very rude gestures and vulgarity.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I am not aware of any major accidents there, but I sure feel vulnerable when crossing.

IMO it is the worst designed cart path in TV. It is the only place I feel like even if I drive defenselessly I am at the mercy of the cart coming from the other direction. There is no bailout. Some of these carts are pedal to the medal, completely unaware how easily and sharply a cart can veer when it hits a curb.

The solution to me would have been to not have a RAISED sidewalk, but since I am not a bridge designer, that may not have been an option....

PS. Two years ago I was passed while on that bridge. As the man went by between me and the sidewalk at 14 MPH, I simply yelled in YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!! He never looked over. When we got off the bridge his cart went 17-18 MPH tops. If this was a movie, I would have had my wife take the wheel as he passed, boarded his cart, slapped him around and then got back in my cart and zoom away at 19.6
Wow...AJ...I was going to post that I agree with every word of your post and then I read the last paragraph.

AND...after thinking about it some more.

I still agree with every word of your post.

It is posted ten miles an hour and if you drive it at that speed you are fairly safe. It is too narrow, Mr. Gary Morse. And I am a HUGE fan.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post

It's my understanding that the sidewalk was added at the request of the county after the bridge construction for pedestrian access. That's what I heard.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Sage

Maybe they could eliminate the sidewalk, thereby widening the golf cart lane, then build a footbridge for pedestrians to cross outside the existing structure.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage
Default Crossing the Bridge....

Actually... I cross it fast.... until another cart is coming and I all but slow way down to let them pass me.... then I go very fast again until another cart comes and slow again.... It's my passive aggressive way of getting across the bridge alive! I notice others driving the bridge the same way.... gets us across faster while slowing down for passing traffic.

I also have curtis cab doors that I close before I cross on the drivers side as they stick out!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
When crossing the Morse Ave bridge in my golfcart, I must say I hold my breath until getting past it. The posted speed limit for the crossing is 10mph, but few adhere to that limit, and the room for two carts passing each other is minimal at best.

I'd love to see a separate bridge for golfcarts, going across the water. For safety, it could have a birdcage type enclosure over it. I know, I know, it would be expensive! But wouldn't it be fun and beautiful, and a really unique Villages feature?
As a Civil Engineer, it is my opinion that the design of the sidewalk and golf cart lanes across this particular structure is very poor . I am unsure about any minimum width that might be required for the sidewalk, but if so, the bridge should have been designed wider. If there is no minimum width requirment, then the sidewalk should have been less in width, this would provide a greater width for the golf cart lanes. Now that the bridge is already completed and I agree a bit dangerous, the only simple solution is to slow the golf carts by placing speed bumps alont the entire length. Yes, I also hate those speed bumps, but they do slow traffic.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Sorry, but as a not-yet-there homeowner, where exactly is this bridge?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 AM

No birdcage! It would spoil the view!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
As a Civil Engineer, it is my opinion that the design of the sidewalk and golf cart lanes across this particular structure is very poor . I am unsure about any minimum width that might be required for the sidewalk, but if so, the bridge should have been designed wider. If there is no minimum width requirment, then the sidewalk should have been less in width, this would provide a greater width for the golf cart lanes. Now that the bridge is already completed and I agree a bit dangerous, the only simple solution is to slow the golf carts by placing speed bumps alont the entire length. Yes, I also hate those speed bumps, but they do slow traffic.

Of all the words of tongue and pen

the Saddest are...it should have been.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Ugotme, the bridge is just north of Lake Sumter Landing along Morse Avenue. It crosses Lake Sumter and for a short distance the golfcart lanes run right alongside the car lanes with only a small curb between the two areas. The cart lanes are a two-way setup with very little room for error. In a community of elders, with all their depth-perception issues, and sometimes other coordination issues, the crossing can sometimes be a white-knuckle affair.

And Dsned, Yes, a birdcage would indeed spoil the view!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Bosoxfan

Last week while driving home from work @ 2 a.m. I was unable to cross the bridge. There was a pickup truck that jumped the curb & broke his axle.The truck was blocking the golf cart path so I had to go all the way around to Laurel manor to get home to Gilchrist.Although it added 20 minutes to my ride home I'm just happy I wasn't on that bridge 5 minutes earlier or I might not have made it home at all.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.