Do you find the Morse Ave bridge crossing dangerous?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

When we were there on our LSV we felt way more vulnerable by the cars & trucks in the adjacent vehicle lanes than we did by approaching golf carts, even as narrow as the golf cart lanes are. I'm surprised there hasn't been a terrible accident from a vehicle jumping the curb & hitting golf carts. Sadly, that's probably what it will take before any changes are made. Speed bumps in the cart lanes are a terrible idea, as they could easily cause a driver to lose control if they mistakenly hit them going too fast. As someone else said there's very little room for error.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Sage

I think safety demands that a separate lane for northbound carts needs to be added onto the right side of this bridge, and the current 2-lane cart path....I mean TRAP...be made into a single southbound lane.

Narrowly missing a crash every time by brushing wheels with an oncoming cart in the current two-way path on the bridge is HARROWING. Even if everyone is obeying the 10mph speed limit, a crash of two oncoming carts is going to mean they also FLIP and dump their drivers' and passengers' heads onto the curbing or car roadway to be then run over.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Sad Part

The sad part is if you raise the concern to The Villages Management you will get a copout that it is the responsibility of the Lady Lake highway dept. If The Villages wanted to fix it I am sure they could with the power they have with the number of residents. Of course they could take a couple of feet off of the sidewalk as you hardly ever see anyone on it and widen the cart path.
This along with the need to cross Morse Blvd at the gate with the gate person having been told to disregard the Golf Cart traffic and let them line up into traffic in the winter and only pay attention to cars going north are two of the more outrages arrogance being fostered on the residents when it comes to traffic.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

I always wondered why the gate person at Morse and Rt 466 payed no attention to the golf carts trying to get across to the path.Now I know.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
The sad part is if you raise the concern to The Villages Management you will get a copout that it is the responsibility of the Lady Lake highway dept. If The Villages wanted to fix it I am sure they could with the power they have with the number of residents. Of course they could take a couple of feet off of the sidewalk as you hardly ever see anyone on it and widen the cart path.
This along with the need to cross Morse Blvd at the gate with the gate person having been told to disregard the Golf Cart traffic and let them line up into traffic in the winter and only pay attention to cars going north are two of the more outrages arrogance being fostered on the residents when it comes to traffic.
I believe this bridge is now the responsibility of Sumter County. The bridge was built to specs. At the time it was built but I'm pretty sure there were no specs., At the time, for bridges that included golf cart paths. A couple of more signs posting the 10mph speed limit might help-----a little. What would help the most would be to lower the speed to 5 mph on a couple areas of the bridge and put up some guard rail or raise the level of curbing to keep the cars/trucks from accidently getting over into the cart path.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Eternal Member

I have never had a problem. I just slow down when there is oncoming traffic.

However it would better if it was wider!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post

The width of the sidewalk is probably determined by The Americans With Disabilities Act. I would think that it would have to be wide enough to allow a wheelchair or motorized mobility vehicle. For the planners to add a sidewalk as an afterthought, falls under the category of 'what were they thinking'?

Lady Lake has nothing to do with this bridge. It is wholly within the confines of Sumter County.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Your Right

Your right, I mis spoke..The bridge is Sumter County responsibility.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

To quote a great mind "At this point what difference does it make."
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Whine, whine. Go across that thing several times a day. No problems. Stay in your lane. I you all are scared, take your car.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Whine, whine. Go across that thing several times a day. No problems. Stay in your lane. I you all are scared, take your car.
Perhaps unlike some posts OP has some legitimate safety concerns regarding LS bridge. There maybe some things that could be done to make the bridge a bit safer.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM

During our last visit to TV, we attempted to walk to The Village of Hacienda/ Mission Hills. We gave up and turned around when we reached the tunnel after crossing Morse Bridge. How do you actually walk to this village from LSL? Also, we are not familiar with the rules and regulations of who or what can travel through these tunnels. Would someone please enlighten us. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendo View Post
During our last visit to TV, we attempted to walk to The Village of Hacienda/ Mission Hills. We gave up and turned around when we reached the tunnel after crossing Morse Bridge. How do you actually walk to this village from LSL? Also, we are not familiar with the rules and regulations of who or what can travel through these tunnels. Would someone please enlighten us. Thanks in advance!
The tunnels are part of the multi-modal paths. They are for use by carts, bicycles, pedestrians, motorized chairs, or whatever. Unfortunately some feel that they are cart paths only and anyone using another form of transportation should be run off the path, yelled at or some other form of bullying. You were completely within the right to continue your walk to Mission Hills.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I stay in my lane but can't control the cart coming at me taking up a foot of my lane.
I go full speed across hoping to get over without coming up to an approaching cart until I come to another cart then slow down to a walking speed. Before the bridge I fold in my side view mirror so to give me a little more clearance especially if I come up to a cart who's mirror is the same height as mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Sage

I agree there is too much whining on this subject. Slow down from full throttle, stay in your lane and you will have no problem.

I remember similar thread from last year about the wooden bridge by Hope Lutheran Church leading to Morse. Lots of whiners saying it was too narrow because some drunken teen had taken a plunge over the side with their grandpa's golf cart. Nothing has been done with that wooden bridge - I use it every week - it is plenty wide for 2 carts to pass - unless there is a drunk teen in a cart.

Can't fix stupid!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.