more CYV questions

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum member
Default more CYV questions

I'm so appreciative of the feedback I get here I wanted to ask a couple of other questions as I get closer to purchasing.

1) I see a lot of talk pro and con on West facing lanais, and talk of north and east, but nothing on South/southwest. Anyone have a lanai that faces that way (without a pool) who can describe how the location affects using use? I envision using my lanai in the morning for my paper and coffee and in the evening. would it be ok for that? I eventually want to enclose the lanai, would glass be a better choice if sun is a factor.

2) As a single, I'm confronted with the 2BR vs 3BR question. I like the inside laundry but wonder if I would just be paying for space I wouldn't use or worse more closets I would just fill up with stuff I may not need but have the space for so keep it. I only have one son and while I hope he marries someday and has kids, seems silly to buy an extra bedroom in the hopes of that.

Again, thank you to all who continue to provide me with thoughtful responses. I realize the final decision will always be mine, but I learned a long time ago that I don't know everything and nothing is better than first hand experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Gold member

I like the idea of laundry room in the house. That's just me.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

hope2:

I'm not a CYV owner, so can't address the issues there.

However, as to your laundry: remember that garages here can become awfully hot in the summer; it's nice to do the washing in the cool!

As to 2BR or 3BR: My friend, a single lady, who still hasn't sold her house up north, insists on 3BR - one of which will be study/den, but will also have a closet - and yet be available when her grandchildren and great-grandchildren come.

My lanai faces almost due north, but also has a western exposure. It is perfect for the morning coffee and usually also for the evening wine - except on the very hottest days. A south/southwest exposure would also work, but I'd try to keep the west minimalized. The late afternoon sun can be brutal in the summer!

Good luck!

SWR
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Gold member

My lanai faces east. Morning sun, shade in afternoon. All of my friends/neighbors who have their laundry in garage wish it was inside especially in the summer months. Third BR is nice to have as an office or hobby room. If you are ever in the neighborhood stop by!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
I'm so appreciative of the feedback I get here I wanted to ask a couple of other questions as I get closer to purchasing.

1) I see a lot of talk pro and con on West facing lanais, and talk of north and east, but nothing on South/southwest. Anyone have a lanai that faces that way (without a pool) who can describe how the location affects using use? I envision using my lanai in the morning for my paper and coffee and in the evening. would it be ok for that? I eventually want to enclose the lanai, would glass be a better choice if sun is a factor.

2) As a single, I'm confronted with the 2BR vs 3BR question. I like the inside laundry but wonder if I would just be paying for space I wouldn't use or worse more closets I would just fill up with stuff I may not need but have the space for so keep it. I only have one son and while I hope he marries someday and has kids, seems silly to buy an extra bedroom in the hopes of that.

Again, thank you to all who continue to provide me with thoughtful responses. I realize the final decision will always be mine, but I learned a long time ago that I don't know everything and nothing is better than first hand experience.
Well, from your posts you have already visited and looked at homes in person, so you know that new CYV's are sold from existing inventory.

We wanted a CYV and had a wish list. We liked a particular type of layout and model, had a preference in cabinet color and exterior. We wanted an inside laundry and wanted a general east/ west exposure BUT we took a look at most all CYVs that were available.... just to be sure. Our sales person did not mind at all. We ended up buying in an area other than where we originally thought we would... and found a home with all but one of our wish list items. We are very satisfied with our selection.

I would look at everything available (in person) in the price range you have in mind, whether you have a detailed wish list or not. I do believe you will' know it when you see it'.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Gold member
Default we have one

a CYV with a mostly south facing lanai, but we do get late afternoon sun from the southwest on most of it. We have an oak tree (developer planted) that now provides great shade from that south/southwest exposure. It will be a problem in about 20 years (wrong plant for the site), but right now, it is wonderful. Great bird habitat with the other cover plants that we now have (especially the coral honeysuckle vine sprawling over the corner fence/wall, and a Carolina Jessamine on another part of the wall - took about 2-3 years for the vines to mature). Right now, we trim branches ourselves with one of those long trimmer things - will likely have to have professionals do it in a few years, but worth it to us. Probably also saves quite a bit on the a/c, but probably not enough to cover the cost of future trimmings. Still worth it.

There are other trees you could plant in that spot and have decent shade in a couple of years, probably. One the east side of the lanai, we installed a standard outdoor screen (from Lowe's or Home Depot) - need it for about an hour in the morning. We use our lanai a lot - coffee/breakfast in the morning, most dinners in nice weather, lunch if we're home.

Thought long and hard about enclosing it, and have decided against it for now. Just feels like we are outdoors.

Pay attention to the shade on your side patio. We have a cocktail seating area there for 6-8, and our dining area slider opens to the grill area, which we use a lot. Ours is shady from mid-afternoon on - neighbors who have it on the other side mostly can't use theirs in the afternoon/early evening. We have appetizers out there with friends while Ohioboy is grilling - it's lovely.

Also, little grandkids can play out there in the shade - great place for sidewalk chalk and cars/trucks. 60 feet of patio space on ours.

We get a lot of guests besides our children/grandchildren. We think the 3 BR with inside laundry is worth it (we bought the cheapest 3 BR 6 yrs ago - they have more choices now), but only you can answer that question for your lifestyle. We both have hobbies that take some storage space.

I do have to say that a friend of mine has the same floorplan CYV, facing more directly west, with no grass and mostly concrete outside the CYV - it feels hot - and her side patio is sunny when you would be grilling. But - don't think she grills much. Could also add an awning.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum member

thank you Ohiogirl. just what I was looking for. your yard sounds nice. I currently live in Florida and have north for my back yard. I find I don't get enough sun to grow a lot of flowering plants. Of course, the new cyvs don't have a lot of area to plant, but it would be nice to have plants like yours to look at.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
thank you Ohiogirl. just what I was looking for. your yard sounds nice. I currently live in Florida and have north for my back yard. I find I don't get enough sun to grow a lot of flowering plants. Of course, the new cyvs don't have a lot of area to plant, but it would be nice to have plants like yours to look at.
That's why I suggested you look at different properties in person. Lots of new CYVs have HUGE back yards with abundant areas to plant. We have six of them in our small neighborhood compound with large pools, large bird cages, pergolas and great palm islands all in each yard. My neighbor just ordered a large-scaled 16 piece patio furniture set. Really.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Uptown Girl is correct - the size of the back yards vary tremendously even if they are not corner lots. There isn't really a standard lot size - also, your model makes a difference depending on how it sits on the lot.

Don't forget also to check the dimensions of the garage - we can get 2 golf carts and a small car in ours, and still have room in front of the carts for a workbench and lots of room in front of the car. We do have a small car (Honda Fit), and we are not big people (although lately, we are unfortunately getting a "little" bigger). The garage sizes vary according to model. Remember that having an inside laundry is like having another closet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.